Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jallan

I am looking to buy a new lathe with variable speed. I have an old lath I got from Rockler but I am tired of changing the belt speed all the time. Any information would sure help.
Thanks
Jallan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wingdoctor

To me the variable speed is very handy. It is available in many different lathes to suit your finances. Personally I have a Powermatic 3520B and I love it; but it is expensive!! I know this is not much help, but you might get a bigger response if you give us a clue as to the amount of funds available for the lathe.

wouldentu2?

I have the Jet mini with variable speed and would stop turning if I had to be moving belts all the time. Lathe is three years old and replaced one switch. I am not familiar with others but would buy this one again.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have two jets and a delta. Like the Delta slightly better but either name is good. Look for a deal. I always go to my local WoodCraft. He knows I buy all my bigger tools there and he treats me well. Nice to have that confidence in the seller.

KenV

the better two mini lathes are the Jet 12-20 VS and its neighbor the Delta 46-460

Have turned on the Delta and heard good things about the Jet.

Have a Jet 1014 VS -- good little lathe, but would probably have gone the extra dollars for the 12 inch vs 10 inch had they been out at the time.

For your budget -- the Jet 1014 VS is a good solid unit. If you can swing the cash, the 12 inch lathes are better value for the longer term

flyitfast

I have the 12-20 Jet, without VS. It has been a great lathe, but a PITA to change the belt. I have turned on the 12-20VS and the Delta 46-460VS and like them both for different reasons. Both require belt changes for speed ranges. It is a lot easier to change the belt on the 46-460 since the door opens in front. Other than that they are both great and make exceptional starter lathes. Limitations are length and the limited swing should you decide to make much larger items than pens, bottle stoppers, and small bowls.
I have since gotten a larger lathe for the reason of size and no belt changes for variable speed. Wish I had done that from the start, but I don't regret the experience and enjoyment of my original Jet. It does make a great buffing station and for drilling pen blanks.
FWIW. It comes down to what you want to put into it ($$) and what you want the lathe to do for you.
Happy Turning!
gordon

plantman

:eek::eek: I noticed nobody said anything about a metal lathe. I have had a taig Micro Lathe for 30 years, and I bought it used from a "MASTER" model maker. That means he sold his work to museums and high end clients for over $1000 each. That's kind of an inside joke if you don't read all the threads. Even though mine is an 8 speed, I never change the speed and run it at 3000 rpms. I only turn, sand, and finish smaller objects on this lathe and use one of my other lathes or drill presses for larger items and center drilling. A metal lathe will do anything a wood lathe can do plus a lot more, and within greater tolerances. Some of the best features I like about a metal lathe is the safety of it. You never have to stand in front of it, hold a tool that could grab, or worry if your cutting to deep. You can buy a ton of accessories for it. including a milling head. They are still made by Taig Tools International (sales@TaigTools.com) and even every part for my old lathe can still be bought. Prices are low and quality is very high. I am not a "master" turner, and I approve this message. Jim S

PhilRose

Nova option

I own a Jet 1642 that I love, but recently wanted something smaller for smaller projects (and to further entice SWMBO to get into turning ... and it's working). I purchased the new Nova midi (Comet II), and I love it.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Jallen, I would look at the Rikon line. I own several of them and they see a lot of use and abuse and keep going, I also own a delta but I personally prefer the Rikons for everyday use.

Top Bottom