Grizzly wood lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert57

I need feedback about grizzly's wood lathes, any one here own one? Looking to add a larger lathe to my shop. Any advice be appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

You should mention which lathe you're interested in. We have a couple 12 x 20 lathes that aren't sold anymore. They were midrange quality for a low price. No real complaints. Newer and bigger machines might be different.

I had Item# G0462, in the short time (maybe two years) I had it I replaced the switch, belts, had issues with the "reeves" type drive and all the locking levers. To be honest? I couldn't wait to sell it when I got my Nova lathe, virtually gave it away and felt badly for the person who got it.
I would not purchase another Grizzly product. I know it sounds harsh, but you asked!

Last edited:

JimB

I have a G0462. It's their least expensive full size lathe. I've had it for about 6 years and have not had any issues with it. It definitely has its limits due to its design but for the price I got what I paid for. If you are considering this model I can provide you with more info on it based on my experience.

Herb G

I have 2 of them. See my signature line. Both work fine for my needs.
If you are thinking of a large lathe, look elsewhere.

Robert57

The G0462 was the one I looked at. The price seems too good to be a real good lathe, will study more on it and next size lathe. Thanks for all the info. wanting a lathe that can turn 10"-12" bowls and have the hp to handle.

Last edited:

JimB

The G0462 was the one I looked at. The price seems too good to be a real good lathe, will study more on it and next size lathe. Thanks for all the info. wanting a lathe that can turn 10"-12" bowls and have the hp to handle.

As I said, I have the lathe. It definitely has the power to turn that size bowl. The issues you will have is speed. The low end speed is 600 rpm which may be fast for your skill level or if you have an out of balance piece of wood. I have gotten very good at cutting logs to round on the bandsaw and learning how to mount an out of balance piece in balance.

It also does not come with leveling legs. You will want to buy some to properly level the lathe and reduce vibration.

The spindle does not extend out the back of the headstock so if you plan on using a draw bar or a vacuum system you will need to figure something out.

And finally, it is not variable speed. It has a reeves drive with multiple speed settings.

Those are the major drawbacks of this lathe from my experience. It is also why this lathe is much, much less expensive than others of this size. I only turn bowls on it as I have a Jet 1014vs for small items.

gimpy

I have quit of few of Grizzly tools.....really have any problems, and if you do, their tech. support is wonderful.........I have the lathe at question, the only thing I had to change was the switch......and that was only from use

vtgaryw

I can't speak about Grizzly's lathes, but I have one Grizzly power tool and I'll never buy another based on their attitude and lack of support. I bought a jointer a number of years ago from them. Set it up, tried it out, and it spit out wood chips just about everywhere except the chute they were supposed to come out. It was so poorly made, there was a huge gap where the chute was supposed to butt up against the frame.

Called support, was told to "just stuff some foam rubber in there."

There's so many other options out there, I just never bothered with Grizzly again.

-gary

Charlie_W

Last year when Grizzly was closing their PA location, they marked down their lathes. Nine people in our club bought the GO766 lathe....rented a truck, split the truck rental/gas costs.
22"...3 hp! They went big. It was a lot of lathe for a good price. I think all are satisfied for the most part.

We also have a number of folks with Robust and Oneway lathes......and then the rest of us with other lathes.

As others said, you may want to pass on the Reeves drive lathes. Aside from maintenance, they will not resell as well as an electronic variable speed lathe.

Good luck on your lathe quest!

KenV

Suggest you check the banjo and toolrest size. Grizzly was using a 25 mm tool post and the conventional 1 inch replacement rool rests do not fit. If you tool rests at 25 mm they are loose in a 1 inch banjo.

Some love the Grizzly lathes, some hated the experience and few in the middle.

Get some hands on time with any big lathe if at all possible. Then decide if you want to spend the money.

I tried a Grizzly, and decided to pass on that brand.

Rifleman1776

I need feedback about grizzly's wood lathes, any one here own one? Looking to add a larger lathe to my shop. Any advice be appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert

My first lathe was a full sized Grizzly that cost $300.00. (I forget model #). It was a Reeves drive and served me well. I then NEEDED bigger and fancier so got a G0632 VS, 42". Very fine lathe. But, truth is, I could do about 90% of what this lathe can do on my old $300.00 model. BTW, the person I sold my old lathe to is a professional turner. He wrote me two handwritten letters thanking me for selling it to him. With Grizzly, pick what you need/want and never look back. Good company, great products.

Top Bottom