General International Pen Turning Mini-Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

termitepenman

I received the General International Pen Turning Mini-Lathe Model #25-010 MI that I ordered today. The lathe arrived in good condition considering that there is no packing material in the box except a piece of cardboard to protect the lathe under the flap seam at the top of the box. I paid $239 for the lathe.

The lathe needed minor assembly (two mounting feet for the bottom of the lathe and the eye guard). The installation of the feet took about 5 minutes, then the lathe was ready to go.

The lathe came with a spur center and a live center (#1 MT) and also with a basic pen turning mandrel set that included 7 mm bushings.

The specifications on the lathe are:

3 Spindle Speeds (1350, 2250, and 3500 rpm)
Swing Over Bed: 4" (102 mm)
Swing Over Tool Rest: 2 1/2" ((64 mm)
Distance Between Centers: 12" (408 mm)
Spindle Thread 3/4" (19 mm) X 16 TPI
Tailstock Through Hole: 3/8" (10 mm)
Morris Taper: #1 (Headstock and Tailstock
Self Ejecting Travel: 1" (25 mm)
Tool Rest: 6" (152 mm)
Face Plate: 2 1/2" (64 mm)
Motor: 1/5 HP (110V, 1.2 A. 3450 rpm)
Lathe Weight: 15.5 lbs. (7 KG)

First Impressions:

My first impression after unpacking the lathe and doing the very easy assembly was that it appeared to be a well constructed lathe considering the light service it was designed for. This is not a lathe that allows its operator to "hog out" wood. From the lathes light weight design (15.5 lbs.)
I immediately knew that I would have to use very sharp tools and a light touch.

Function:

I clamped the lathe to my bench top and glued up a couple of pen blanks for a Slimline pen and put them on the supplied pen mandrel. When I turned it on I saw that there was some serious run out on the pen mandrel. I checked the center alignment and it was right on. I adjusted the pen mandrel and the runout was greatly reduced but still there. I have a pen mandrel that I use on my HF Mini Wood Lathe that screws onto the headstock so I put it on along with my #1MT 60 degree live center. I turned it on and there was absolutely no runout.

I had decided to do this evaluation using only the accessories provided with the lathe. I put on the provided pen mandrel and the provided live center, installed the pen blanks and bushings and started to turn. Sharp tools and a light touch are required. I decided to turn the pen on the slowest speed (1350 rpm). I had no problems at that speed, I did not stall the motor and turned the pen with no problems with the motor. This lathe is not variable speed.

As I turned the blanks down to the bushings I found that my turning was oval and not round "Shame on Me I Thought," I lightened up on the mandrel screw but that did not seem to help. After sanding, finishing and assembling the pen the problem was not visible. I can only conclude that the mandrel provided was not very good. Later I used my spindle mandrel and had no issues with the roundness of the pen.

Conclusions:
1. It is easy to assemble and use
2. It will make a pen with the accessories provided
3. The provided pen mandrel is inadequate
4. Additional accessories probably would increase the accuracy of the lathe
5. It is small and compact 23" long
6. It is not a good value at $239 when compared to a HF Mini Wood lathe at
less than $100 that has variable speed (750 - 3500 rpm)

Recommendation:
Save your money buy something else. If you just have to have it, be prepared to be underwhelmed.

Dennis,
Sacramento, CA

termitepenman

Photos For The General International Pen Turning Mini Lathe

I did not have access to my camera when I wrote my review of the lathe. I hope these help.

Dennis
Sacramento

Attachments

• GEDC0005.jpg
    GEDC0005.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 7,354
  • GEDC0006.jpg
    GEDC0006.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,408
  • GEDC0007.jpg
    GEDC0007.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 770
  • GEDC0009.jpg
    GEDC0009.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 871
  • GEDC0012.jpg
    GEDC0012.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,736
  • GEDC0013.jpg
    GEDC0013.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 771
  • GEDC0014.jpg
    GEDC0014.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,694
  • GEDC0015.jpg
    GEDC0015.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,639

watch_art

Will this thing take different types of collets and live and dead centers?
(dumb question maybe - but I'm a total noob)

Thanks!

Top Bottom