Mini Review Dust Deputy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It seemed like I was emptying my shop vac every week and having to clean the filter 3-4 times a day, it was really a pain. I had always seen ads for the Dust Deputy and thought it was just another way to part with my money for no reason. While at Woodcraft for a meeting several months back they had it on sale so I purchased the deluxe model with the buckets and everything that I would need to set it up. I have been using it for about 6 months now and have gone from cleaning my filter several times a day to cleaning my filter once a month, what a difference. I wish I had bought one of these things years ago, it really does save time for me and makes cleanup so much easier. This is a product that I highly recommend.
Buy Oneida Molded Deluxe Dust Deputy Kit With Two 5-gallon Plastic Buckets at Woodcraft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

did you have to make/find adapters for your hoses to fit the DD fittings?

I bought a DD, and have a Ridgid shop vac. None of the hoses fit. I called and was told I needed to locate my own adapters to make everything work.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I'm running a Rigid 6hp 14gallon and had no problem with it working together, everything fit fine. What exactly isn't fitting?

The Penguin

hose inlet on my vac is about 2.25" and the hose size of the DD is about 1.5" - so nothing fits without using an adapter. By that I mean the vac hose does not fit the DD inlet fitting because the hose is too large, and the DD hose will not fit the vacuum inlet because the DD hose is too small.

Oneida sells a few adapters on their website, so I called and asked about ones for my hoses. They said they don't make or sell adapters and I should go to Home Depot or Lowes and find a Fernco adapter that fits, or I could make them out of PVC.

honestly I expected a bit more customer service for the $100 (approximately) I spent on the DD.

I haven't had time to mess with trying to find the right Fernco adapters, so I set it aside several months ago.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
DUCT TAPE :eek:

sheesh ... and you call yourself a man? :tongue:

I'm not a big fan of parts that don't fit standard parts. But Home Despot
has several adapters around their shop vac stuff. I'm pretty sure I've
seen the reducers too. Shouldn't have to do that, especially since the
reducer will do to your airflow what the name implies.. it'll reduce it.
That strains the shop vac motor.

Just an add'l "FYI" - I've been using the DD on my Shop Vac for quite a while. I like to use the "disposable" bags in the body of the Shop Vac in addition to the DD. Eventually it will fill up, but it can be emptied and reused a couple times and there's no gunked up filter to clean. Ever.

PaulDoug

I have the same story as Wolftat. Same vac also. I love the Dust Deputy. I also added a Hepa (?) filter to my vac. I guess the only down sides is the setup takes up a little more room than just the vac, I have a small shop and the bucket I used is real hard to get the lid off when I want to empty it. I will find a better bucket one of these days.

Mike8850

Would the DD work well on a larger container?
With the other things I make I have a lot of sawdust and I think I would have to empty the 5 gal. to often.
Mike

wee willie

hose inlet on my vac is about 2.25" and the hose size of the DD is about 1.5" - so nothing fits without using an adapter. By that I mean the vac hose does not fit the DD inlet fitting because the hose is too large, and the DD hose will not fit the vacuum inlet because the DD hose is too small.

Oneida sells a few adapters on their website, so I called and asked about ones for my hoses. They said they don't make or sell adapters and I should go to Home Depot or Lowes and find a Fernco adapter that fits, or I could make them out of PVC.

honestly I expected a bit more customer service for the $100 (approximately) I spent on the DD.

I haven't had time to mess with trying to find the right Fernco adapters, so I set it aside several months ago.

If that is the size of the hose I suggest you take it back as it may have been a return that somebody tampered with . I sell them at busy bee tools here in toronto and the hose will fit 2 1/4-2 1/2

76winger

For the very reason the DD works well is why I'm keeping my eye on a cyclone type unit when I finally bite the bullet and get a real dust collector to take over for my shop vac. It does seem like a good interim step for the price though...

PaulDoug

Would the DD work well on a larger container?
With the other things I make I have a lot of sawdust and I think I would have to empty the 5 gal. to often.
Mike

Mike I think they have ones for larger barrels. Search the internet for Oneida Dust Collection.

PTsideshow

Dust Collection Since 1993 | Oneida Air Systems Inc.

I too have the DD with the same vac Rigid.
DSCF0005.jpg

This is my set up, I did use the elbows that are available to make a smooth transition at the intake to the vac/can. And at the top of the DD. There also is my longer hose draped over the DD bucket and bungee corded in place. I have two lengths of hose a short and long one. When using a shop vac the shorter the hose the better.
WT12.jpg

I did find that the tolerances on some of the adapters and fittings are not as close as would make a great fit. At the top of the DD I did wrap some duct tape to make the elbow fit tighter.
WT11.jpg

I also use hose clamps to keep the hoses from falling off during moving
WT09_zpsd2cf9e10.jpg

This is the rigid muffler for the exhaust of the vac it does reduce the operating noise some. I got it because I'm am located in the basement under the wife's computer location. I have ear muffs on and she doesn't and after a while she gets tired of hearing it.
WT10.jpg

I used 4 bungee cords to hold it together so it doesn't take up more space than just the vac. I drilled some holes for the hooks in locations that didn't disrupt the vacuum.
DSCF0001.jpg

You can make up just about any adapter/fitting combo. Between the adapters @ Home Despot and WC your can hook it to anything. I don't go to Rockler as I can hit WC and be home in the time it takes to just drive to Rockler I'm sure the have the assorted fittings too. Highes(Lowes) in my area doesn't have the wide assortment of vac fittings.
WT18.jpg

WT48.jpg

I use the rare earth magnets from computer hard drives to mount the intake fittings to the equipment, makes moving the fittings and hose hook ups easier.

I am a happy and very satisfied user of The DD and Rigid vacs, I have two one that is being used in the attic to clean up the shake shingle bits & pieces for a tear off and redo do. Even placing traps down it still is a mess.
:clown:

Rangertrek

I have two of the DD units on two different shop vacs. I had a few issues with adapters to the different hose sizes. I went to a big box store and checked the plumbing section. They have rubber connectors and reducers for pvc pipe in various sizes, I found what I needed and installed the rubber to the plastic hoses with screw clamps. Both work great. The DD is a real filter saver on the shop vacs. The DD will pay for itself in no time by not buying filters.

PTsideshow

Yes the import adapters from both Home Despot (in the vac isle) and WC seem to be lax in the tolerances. One might fit and another might not since I was trying them @ WC among their bins. I used some duct tape to adjust the fit of the adapters to hoses and cyclone unit.
I am still happy with it!
:clown:

Old Codger

I too have the DD and love how it works! As others have mentioned, it has already paid for itself by preventing frequent replacement of the vacuum's filters. I currently use a HEPA filter in my vacuum and have only had to replace it once. My only problem is locating a decent, easy opening 5 gallon (or larger...) bucket for the DD. They all seem to flimsy or to difficult to open without destroying the opening lip of the lid. I'm currently using a Home Depot food safe 5 gallon bucket, but hate it because it's so difficult to open. Any ideas on another source or type of container...nothing to large as my space is somewhat limited. Thanks in advance and safe turning to you all!

Fulmaduro

I too found the bucket lid that came with the Dust Deputy to be flimsy and made a wood reinforcement ring as follows to keep the bucket lid from breaking. And now the lid comes off easily enough. The Dust Deputy is one of the best gadgets I have ever bought. I love it.

Shop Improvement for the Dust Deputy

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

JasonC

I bought the 10 gallon metal DD and connected it to my 16 gallon Shop-Vac.

995233_3817237446736_1238221052_n.jpg

Spent time routing some MDF. Ran the Shop-Vac without a bag. Here's how the Shop-Vac (left) and DD (right) looked. The Shop-Vac is clean inside, just discoloration where I vac'd water up with a dry filter in place and forgot about it. :rolleyes:
602135_3838004085889_1990511846_n.jpg

Even with having the more durable metal DD the lid is still on the flimsy side and I get flex.

I've since bought a JET dust collector and I still regularly use the Shop-Vac/DD (with filter and bag)for cleaning up. Whether it's the floor, random dust off the bench and such, or cleaning the vehicle interiors, I've kept the DD connected.

I don't regret buying the DD because it's paid for itself in the cost of bags, but even with the metal version there's room for improvement on the lid thickness/flex.

Top Bottom