Delta 46-460 and a Jet 1221vs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
This is more of a quick comparison than a tool review, so if its in the wrong forum please feel free to correct me.

I've literally had around 15 different lathes, mainly Jets, Delta and Rikons. Some new and some bought on Craigslist. This was a search for the lathe I wanted to stick with.
I chose the Delta 46-460 with the reversing feature, larger motor and the other standard features. This has been a great lathe and I really enjoy turning on it. So on Thanksgiving I sold my like new Rikon 70-050vs and on Black Friday, went to Klingspor and bought a Jet 1221vs during the 15% off sale.

I unpacked this unit tonight and did an initial setup. The differences were fairly significant in the following ways:
* Jet shipping weighs ~160 lbs vs the Delta at ~110lbs. I felt the extra 50lbs! :eek:
* The bed rails are much wider than the Delta's
* The head stock belt pulleys are beefier
* Two tool storage racks, small, for each end of the Jet unit. But no Allen wrench to remove the face plate since the factory tightens the TWO set screws down.
* All handles on the Jet lathe are padded, as well as the face plate wrench. The padding isn't cheap rubber/plastic that slips when the handle is used.
* The Jet is very quite when running forwards, however the motor does whin a bit in reverse.
* The Delta is as quite and possibly a little more so, especially in reverse.

I've typically haven't liked the Jet lathes, but this one has changed my opinion so far. I haven't turned on it yet, but it'll get an initial run this week. This lathe and its series may be the game changer in the midi lathe class. I hope it works as well as my 20 year old table saw from Jet. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I'd be interested in knowing the headstock run out on your Jet versus the Delta.

I "test drove" the Jet and took a dial indicator. The runout was significant on the "demo" model (over three times that of my tuned "shop" Delta). I'm looking for a third lathe and the price difference IS appealing.

I, too, noticed a SIGNIFICANT whine in the reverse setting.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Andy,
I don't have any, known way by me, to check the run out. I don't use a dial indicator, just my bad eyes.
Is there a way you advise with the common turning items in a shop like calipers and other items?

Thanks

Dale Allen

Yea, what Andy said. I'd like to know if there is a significant runout on either one. You would need a dial indicator to determine it though.
One thing about the jet that I just cannot get my head around is the fact that they put a tool rack on the left side in such a way that the tools must be removed before the access door can be opened.
I know it is a small detail but those kinds of things make me think there are other design flaws that we don't see.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Yea, what Andy said. I'd like to know if there is a significant runout on either one. You would need a dial indicator to determine it though.
One thing about the jet that I just cannot get my head around is the fact that they put a tool rack on the left side in such a way that the tools must be removed before the access door can be opened.
I know it is a small detail but those kinds of things make me think there are other design flaws that we don't see.

That made me scratch my head as well. But there are a few turners that don't change speeds, so the extra tool storage isn't a concern. During the unloaded run of the Jet, the high range belt setting has a good speed range.

Cmiles1985

What is the footprint on the JET? I was looking at the specs on JET's site, and don't see those measurements. I have a small shop, and am in the market for a midi lathe. I just want to make sure that if I spend upwards of $700, I get the lathe ideal for my needs. Unfortunately, there's not somewhere within 150 miles to "test drive" or get a good visual on these products.

Thanks for a great write-up/comparison of JET and Delta!

Dan Masshardt

That made me scratch my head as well. But there are a few turners that don't change speeds, so the extra tool storage isn't a concern. During the unloaded run of the Jet, the high range belt setting has a good speed range.
I only change the belt for bowl turning For pens it stays on high I can apply ca at 300 and turn at top speed

That said, I don't really keep tools on that rack I have storage build on to my stand

PenMan1

Actually, you can measure the run out of both lathes WITHOUT a dial indicator.

Use the SAME mandrel and SAME tool rest on BOTH lathes. Pick a "set" (any) distance to set the tool rest from the left end of the mandrel. Use a square, straight stick, ANYTHING to make sure that you have the tool rest EXACTLY square to the mandrel.

Then take a screwdriver, etc and make a mark where the screwdriver touches the area where the mandrel shaft and the taper join, without binding. Make a mark on the screwdriver. THEN, move the screwdriver to the right end of the mandrel. make another mark on the screwdriver where it touches without binding.

THEN USE THE SAME MANDREL, TOOL REST and settings on the second lathe. The lathe where the marks on the screwdriver are closer together has the better "run out" tolerance. Then you can use your digital caliper to measure the run out in thousandths of an inch.

In my case, the Jet was not even in the same "ball park" as the Delta.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I hope I get a chance to turn on the delta someday to compare Or pick one up used to have another lathe Because my shop is plenty big :)

The runout is negligible on mine In the taper with a dial indicator the marker doesn't move off the line you set it on It might not be totally unmoved but it would be impossible for me to report a runout reading without a high precision instrument that I have no desire to buy Same on the exterior spindle shoulder

Mine made a notice I reverse when it was new that has all but gone away Not a whine I light fast clicking maybe

I do feel as though it may have developed a slight vibration though - after turning a bunch of green unbalanced bowl blanks?

I would be pleased if you'd offer some comments on the two after a while of having both side by side so to speak

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I checked the run out tonight on both the Delta, that's a little over 1 year old and the new Jet. I set my calipers up the same on both. The indicator moved very little. The digital scale only goes to .00 and didn't register any variance. I've been impressed with both machines but the Jet is massive in comparison. I think I have keepers in both. I bought the Delta extension and stands early on.
I would recommend either lathe as a starter or upgrade.

I hope I get a chance to turn on the delta someday to compare Or pick one up used to have another lathe Because my shop is plenty big :)

The runout is negligible on mine In the taper with a dial indicator the marker doesn't move off the line you set it on It might not be totally unmoved but it would be impossible for me to report a runout reading without a high precision instrument that I have no desire to buy Same on the exterior spindle shoulder

Mine made a notice I reverse when it was new that has all but gone away Not a whine I light fast clicking maybe

I do feel as though it may have developed a slight vibration though - after turning a bunch of green unbalanced bowl blanks?

I would be pleased if you'd offer some comments on the two after a while of having both side by side so to speak

My shop is tiny but I dream of the robust American Beauty lathe.

Levi Woodard
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Top Bottom