Decision time for new lathe...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Lathe purchase decision time... I currently have a Rikon 1216VS and love it for what I've been turning (i.e.; small boxes, Christmas ornaments, bird houses, tops, wine stoppers, etc.) but have been thinking of getting another lathe that is a little bigger/heavier/more powerful yet still a 'midi lathe' due to shop size. I'm looking at the Jet 1221VS, Delta 46-460, or Nova Comet II 2013. All are VS with reverse, but some have digital readout (nice!!!) and indexing capability. Both Delta and the Nova seem to be a good lathes but both have had some QC issues of late sooo I'm leaning toward either the Jet (which is the most costly...)... Any ideas, suggests or comments? Thanks in advance and safe turning to you all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I don't have the 1221, but I do have the 1220 and a 1642 and really like them both.

I also have a Jet table saw and jointer (circa ~1990). I have only needed one item serviced, and that was the 1642 which came out of the box with bad threads on the headstock spindle. Was replaced under warranty and now works great.

Cmiles1985

Not to hijack your thread, but I too am about ready to make an investment in a new lathe. I keep getting hung up on the thought that more power is better, so I keep eyeballing the 1 hp models (TurnCrafter, Jet and Delta models). I intend on tucking my large lathe away under the workbench and making more room (unless I need to turn some long spindles). Should I be hung up on the HP rating of a lathe motor? I like the thought of flipping a switch to reverse the direction of rotation, but is it really that much of a pain on a newer lathe to turn the mandrel or blanks around? I guess the real question is this: is a Jet 1221VS price tag of $800 justifiable compared to a TurnCrafter TCLC10VS price tag of $350?

Thanks for the help! And again, I apologize for the hijacking!

Carl Fisher

I know this is an old thread, but if you haven't chosen yet, the Jet will be on 15% sale next weekend for Black Friday weekend. Brings the price down to a much more manageable range cheaper than the Delta.

I am pulling the trigger on the 1221vs personally during this pricing for a few reasons. Longer bed which is nice to have for drilling and generally moving the tail stock out of the way. I like the digital readout. I like that it can go down to 60 rpm to give more finishing versatility. And personally I like the design of the Jet a bit better.

I have a 1014vs still and just sold my big 1442, so this will be a nice mid-sized lathe closer to the sweet spot of what I use a lathe for.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
Jet 1221 went on sale at Woodcraft 150$ off, got my sale flyer yesterday, its not showing up on the website yet.......

Adillo303

My vote would be the Jet.

I have a 1642 EVS-2 (2 HP). More than I need for small projects, but, I don't want to do this again.

Indexing is important, especially if you want to do any fluting.

I have not figured out what to do with the reverse yet, but, when I do, I have it.

The sliding headstock will let me turn very large bowls, should I ever get there.

I know this is bigger than you mentioned, I would suggest the 1221 VS

Carl Fisher

WoodCraft may or may not have stock. I'm actually driving up to a Klingspor about an hour and a half away on Sunday to pick one up.

monophoto

I was in this situation a few weeks ago, and I was looking at basically the same choices. Obviously, Jet is the most expensive, but the cost difference probably doesn't matter much over the period of time that you hope to use the lathe.

In my case, the deciding factor was the bed length - not the specified spindle length, but rather the physical length from one end to the other. I have a relatively small shop, and I have a bench that was built specifically to accommodate a (smaller) lathe. I don't have room for a larger bench, and frankly, I didn't want to build a new one. So I wanted something that I could use with my existing bench. and that ruled out the Jet for me.

The Delta was a very good lathe, but I was also concerned about its future. The fact that the company doesn't seem to have a renewal parts solution was very troubling because it implies that there is no long-term strategy.

There have been some reports of QC issues with Nova, but there also have been stories of how Nova USA has stepped in to help purchasers resolve those problems. All manufacturers have QC problems - the difference is how they are handled, and Nova seems to have a very good reputation in that regard.

But for me, the key factor was horsepower. My former lathe was the ShopFox 1704 - I had a lot of fun with that lathe, but it was really frustrating to try to drill holes with a 1/3HP motor. Drilling end grain with forstner bits was essentially impossible. For drilling you need torque, and it is unavoidable that you will lose torque at the low end of the speed range. So one of my 'wants' was to get as much horsepower as possible.

So I chose the 12" Turncrafter, and so far I have been very happy with that decision.

Top Bottom