Anyone have or try the Oneway 1236SD 'Sit Down'

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chugbug

Hello All,

This isn't a review, but a request for one, so if I shouldn't have posted it here, I apologize.

I'm considering buying a new wood lathe, and was looking at the Oneway 1236SD 'Sit Down' model, and was wondering if anyone had one and could give me their opinion of it.

My current lathe has been giving me fits for a while, and my most recent breakdown has me waiting more than two weeks for parts to ship even though the parts are known to be in stock (any Delta reps listening-- I think it's ridiculous to make CUSTOMERS wait WEEKS for parts to ship that are confirmed to be IN STOCK and sitting in a warehouse somewhere-- come on-- this isn't the 1960's!).

Sorry, but I think the situation sucks. But anyway, I'm thinking of dumping the lathe and buying a new one. When I was looking at the Oneway's I saw they had a 'Sit Down' model. It's their model 1236SD and it's made so you can stand or sit at it to work. I've been dealing with a bad back all my life (since I was 14). Sitting isn't always any better than standing sometimes, but if I can switch back and forth, it might be better than just one position.

So I was wondering if anyone had one and could give me their opinion (good or bad) about the lathe. If you don't want to publish them publically, you can send me a PM or email.

Here are the main questions I have:

1. Can it really be used both ways? Does it work well either way? Or does it work better one way or the other?

2. Changeover... Is it easy to change (it looks like it would be as easy to change as it would to move a swivel head for out-turning)?

2. How sturdy is it? Oneway say it's made like their standard size lathes (rather than their smaller ones). Is that true? And does it feel sturdy?

3. Making small and large parts... Does it work well for making both large AND small parts? I use my lathes mostly for making small pen parts, but do make larger (wood) pieces from time to time. But for small pen parts I prefer the larger lathe over the a smaller one (I have a Delta midi, but only use it for kit pens). So I need it to be able to work well for making both large pieces (such as bowls), than easily switch over for making a small part (such as a pen front-section) later without needing a lot of adjustments to get it to run precise.

I know Oneway has a good reputation, and moving from a Delta to a Oneway should be like moving from a ford to a Cadillac, but I've had a few Cadillac's models in my day that I wish I'd never purchased.

In case anyone hasn't seen it before, I posted a photo of the lathe below.

Thanks!

John

Attachments

• 1236SD_400px[1].gif
    1236SD_400px[1].gif
    165.4 KB · Views: 1,031
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

John; I do not have a lathe like this, but I have found out one thing since I spent 3 months in a wheelchair. Unless you have to, sitting at a lathe is very uncomfortable and awkward. I would suggest trying one out befor buying one. Just a thought. Jim S

chugbug

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion! I was hoping I could try one out somehow, or at least look it over first hand. I wrote to Oneway asking if there was any of the lathes close by where I live. Maybe a customer that bought one that might be close.

I do do some turning sitting on a stool. But I'm still basically working in the conventional position (looking down). Looking at the Oneway, I think it could still work that way, it's just lower. Besides my bad back, my eyes aren't as good as they use to be either, so sitting puts me closer to the work. It's actually more comfortable than bending over (the work).

Maybe the key will be the height at which you can work at the lathe. I imagine sitting low in a wheelchair, would take some getting use to if you had the work up higher, and you'd be looking straight in on the work (instead of down), whereas working on a stool you're still in a fairly conventional position.

If the Oneway was a 'sitting position only' lathe, I wouldn't consider it, but since you can use it either way, I feel more comfortable about it. Even if it wouldn't move, it still looks like a nice lathe.

Cordially...John

Curly

http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=718

Vicmarc have a slightly different take on a sit down lathe. Since you don't have a beast of a lathe you could experiment with some hardwood wedges between the lathe and bench/stand and see if it is more comfortable for you. That would at least let you see if the Oneway was for you if you can't try one locally.

Pete

plantman

John; After about a month in the wheelchair, I could put enough weight on my feet to lift myself onto a stool I had brought down from the old kitchen island. The wife wouldn't let me take one of the good ones that swiveled, had arm rests, and a back on it. This was just the right height to turn, however, without any back support, I couldn't stay there very long. The idea of a 2 position lathe looks like it could be adventages in use. Although I have never seen this model, it looks quite nice. In reality, it's not the lathe so much that makes the difference, its the tool behind it. Craftsmanship isn't listed as an option on the spec sheet. Good Luck in you choise. Jim S

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would make it impossible to sit at a lathe. It seems to me that with the right height chair and the right design of the bench it would be very doable.

flyitfast

You might want to take a look at the Robust Independence lathe. It is designed for the sit down turner, so I don't know if it can be used standing up. There is a video at the site below of a sit down turner. Might help.
I haven't used it, but if it is the quality of my Robust Sweet 16, it fits your category of Cadillac or better. I think of mine as a Ferrari!!!
See it at: Robust Woodturning Lathes: 25" American Beauty, Sweet 16 and the Tilt Away Tailstock Attachment it is the bottom lathe. I saw it at SWAT last year and was impressed. Check out the specs and the warranty (7 yr). The swingaway tailstock is a neat feature, along with the controls that can be moved anywhere, including your lap - just not on the stainless steel ways.
Contact Brent English at Robust who might know of one in your area. Great guy to work with. They are in Wisconsin.
It is made in the USA!
Hope you can find what you want and need.
gordon

Last edited:

chugbug

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I haven't received any replies from Oneway, so I guess I'll keep looking around.

Although it's not what I'm looking for, someone else might find this useful-- while doing some additional searching I also found a post with a link to a guy with a custom stand for mounting the Delta midi lathes onto it. It's a standard type stand, but the top is tilted so the lathe is at a slant toward the user: http://www.iluv2turn.com.

Cordially...John

ossaguy

That's a neat looking stand! Looks like it works good for him.Thanks for posting the link.

Steve

ossaguy

You might want to take a look at the Robust Independence lathe. It is designed for the sit down turner, so I don't know if it can be used standing up. There is a video at the site below of a sit down turner. Might help.
I haven't used it, but if it is the quality of my Robust Sweet 16, it fits your category of Cadillac or better. I think of mine as a Ferrari!!!
See it at: Robust Woodturning Lathes: 25" American Beauty, Sweet 16 and the Tilt Away Tailstock Attachment it is the bottom lathe. I saw it at SWAT last year and was impressed. Check out the specs and the warranty (7 yr). The swingaway tailstock is a neat feature, along with the controls that can be moved anywhere, including your lap - just not on the stainless steel ways.
Contact Brent English at Robust who might know of one in your area. Great guy to work with. They are in Wisconsin.
It is made in the USA!
Hope you can find what you want and need.
gordon

I watched the video on the Sweet 16,wow,that has some really neat innovative features! That's quite a lathe.

Steve

flyitfast

I watched the video on the Sweet 16,wow,that has some really neat innovative features! That's quite a lathe.

Steve

Steve,
I wasn't even aware of Robust until I went to SWAT a couple of years ago. I was sold on the features, as you noticed, but also that fact that it is made in USA made a difference to me. It is made by a turner for turners.
The Sweet 16 is perfect for me with limited space, but I can still have a long lathe when I need it.
Worth every penny.
gordon

Top Bottom