Woodcraft Classic American Fountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumunabeech

Yesterday, I finally KO'd this crappy kit. Wasted one of my favorite blanks...I'm so upset I think I'm going to my local Woodcraft and let them know about it.
To begin, when I was assembling it, the center ring (or three) wouldn't fit over the tube. Upon further inspection, I notice a little sliver of metal from the ring was holding it up. Of course this was after I had put a dab of CA per instructions. It wasn't fun prying this thing off again.
Second, the threads on the cap don't line up correctly. I don't know about anyone else, but when I put a cap on a pen I don't usually have to concentrate to get it on right.
The list goes on...the black thingy at the top of the bottom tube, before the brass plug, is plastic and this one is creased...the cap doesn't post. I've read on here that it should, but this one doesn't. Maybe it has more metal slivers...I dunno. The metal nib is off center from the feed (?) by better than 1/8".
Generally, it's a hunk 'o crap. Maybe I got a bad kit, but the second we purchased looks the same as this one. Same problems. Bad batch?
I would not use this pen for everyday work, much less try to sell one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I would love to see pics to know which pen you are talking about, however, cheap pen kits, cheap parts. thats my theory anyway. Of all of the stuff you just described on how to assemble, that is way more work than most of the Jr series II rollerballs component sets that i make. It just shouldnt be that difficult to put together.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Aaron,
You are working with a very old design. Probably the first or second fountain pen kit that was made available to "pen-crafters". At the time it came out, (mid-1990's IIRC) we were all used to "futzing" with a kit to make it have proper "fit and finish".

One of the things I remember about that particular design, when you finished turning the cap, is was a REAL GOOD idea to run a round file around the inside of the tube. And, after assembly, another quick sanding of the inside of the tube (now focusing on the centerband). IF you did NOT do these things, you were very likely to scratch the black "finial" the first time you posted.

There are MANY kits available today that require far less "work" to make them function correctly. But, in the mid-90's this was "state of the art"!!

I did not make many, I personally did not like the pen enough to do all the "finishing". But lots of other turners sold them!!!

FWIW---history lesson.

sumunabeech

If I would have only known. I picked it up because it was under $20 and it was a slimmer fountain than any of the others in the store. I just assumed it was a "new" design. Molded (semi) threads on the nib should have been my first clue. Assumptions have gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years though. Lesson learned I guess.
Here's a link to the kit.
Just look...no touch
Buy Screw Cap Fountain Kit Cobalt Gold at Woodcraft

ghostrider

If I would have only known. I picked it up because it was under $20 and it was a slimmer fountain than any of the others in the store. I just assumed it was a "new" design. Molded (semi) threads on the nib should have been my first clue. Assumptions have gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years though. Lesson learned I guess.
Here's a link to the kit.
Just look...no touch
Buy Screw Cap Fountain Kit Cobalt Gold at Woodcraft
I've never done one of those, but if that's what your looking for, then may I suggest the Streamline American from Berea, or the New Series (also from them).

The only places I know of who carry the Streamline are Airzonia Silohette, and Berea, with Berea being half the price of AS in the Gold Ti version. I've done both the rollerball, and the fountain pen in the Streamline, and they were both easy to do.
Streamline American™ - Screw Cap - Roller Ball Titanium Gold Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

I've not done one of my New Series yet, from what Ed said when they first started carrying them at Exotics, it sounds like they are an upgraded version that is all metal.

I personally am starting to like this style. It's got the classic look that I see in the antique stores when I'm looking at pens, and it's thinner than any of the other roller balls. It's an easy kit to put together, and I especially like the quad-start threads that only require a 1/4 turn to post.

I haven't yet had the chance to turn a New Series, but really like the look of the new style. You can get them at a variety of different places. Exotics carries them, as does AS, and Bear Tooth Woods. I usually order from Exotics, but my Streamline came from Berea since Ed and Dawn don't carry that pen (for some reason, I like the gold Ti, even though the front section is plastic, which is corrected on the New Series).

Here's a thread on the New Series.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/berea-new-series-83381/

If your looking for a thinner rollerball, then one of these might just be what your after.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm not sure if there is more than one "Streamline", and I am not allowed to say what we handle in a thread, so let me just suggest that any time you are looking for something on our website, use the search function, if you can't find it.

Searching "Streamline" will give you results, but possibly NOT the pen you are seeking.

sumunabeech

Just as an update...I called Woodcraft's toll free number and spoke with someone about all the problems I've had. I was transferred to their order placement and told I would be receiving replacement kits. We'll see how these come out. May be a bad kit, but at least I can't complain about the customer service.

Thanks for all the comments!

Xander

I just made one of these kits yesterday. Had no problems at all. No filing, no CA needed. Went together perfectly and even writes with no tuning. Got mine from Woodcraft in Phoenix. Gold TI.
Sorry you had so many issues.

Last edited:

Randy Simmons

Woodcraft does have good customer service.

Regarding the kit you had, I have made a few myself. Unfortunately, you can't buy them in much bulk (or for a reasonable price) online like you can at PSI. However, I have never had many problems in assembling it. I usually sit down with a new kit and figure out how it all goes together beforehand.

However I have encountered a major problem with the kit assembly. There being no instructions, you have to figure out for yourself that you need to cut a tennon into what will be your cap in order to fit on the female thread and 2 small metal rings. If your tennon is too short, the piece wont stay on right, and if it's too long, the cap won't post. I managed to ruin a magnificent piece of thuya burl with this problem.

I love the way it looks when it works out though. My rule of thumb is to just the tennon about 1/8 inch long (about one parting tool for me)

Either way, I don't make these pens regularly. I save them for custom orders simply because they are a bit of a pain and I can only buy about 3-5 at a time.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Top Bottom