Mini Review Visconti's Rembrandt calligraphy set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

After looking through the October issue of Pen World, I was interested in the Visconti Rembrandt calligraphy set shown on page 18.
The photo on the page is completely accurate to what I received.
I bought the item from a reputable seller on ebay for $195

It comes in a somewhat glossy box - I was a little surprised at the low quality of the company design on the box top. It had a very cheap photocopied feel to it and one part of the design was way off center - but I'm sensitive to that as a graphic designer. Very low quality.

The set includes two sections with different nibs - each with it's own piston converter - so that you can choose which nib to work with. There are two black insert holes in the top corners of the inside which hold whichever section is not being used. They are magnetic and they work very well to hold the spare section/converter upright while not being used.

** The big disappointment for me was that the threading of the sections does not match the metal thread inserts in the body of the pen!! I had to force it while screwing in each section and literally strip the plastic threads to get each section on. After forcing them on a few times, the plastic threads are stripped enough that it goes on and comes off without forcing it. To me, this is inexcusable! If you are going to make and sell any pen - match the threads!!
I will be looking into returning this item for this reason.

Once I got the flow working (and that took some doing!) each nib worked well and I enjoyed doing some calligraphy.

The calligraphy book which comes with the set (not pictured in PW) is really fantastic for beginner calligraphers. It breaks down each letter and shows individual strokes for each letter in at least two different letter styles.

As the saying goes... "You get what you pay for." And I'm not certain I got the value that I had hoped for.

A better designed box (the lid falls off easily and requires a rubber band to keep it on) and a resolution of the threading issue would make this a satisfying purchase.

I would not recommend this set to others.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom