Mini Review Threaded Slimline Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rizheng is offering threaded slimline kits - seems like a good idea so I decided to try them.

Summary

While I like the idea the implementation is not all that good the threads glued inside the tube allows them to be off center making for difficulty in turning the bottom barrel so it mates well with the tip. The threading in the top tube for the cap is just not deep enough and too easily damaged.

The quality is just not very good the kits I have do prove the concept but making a quality kit that will do what this kit is designed to do for most turners is still a ways off. The design needs some work.

I would not buy them, especially if you are not very experienced.

Pros

When assembled the transmission is easy to change just unscrew the old and screw in the new. Makes it real easy when a transmission goes south.

The transmission seems to be excellent, Very easy to turn and very smooth. It seems to accept any cross refill so putting better than stock refills in will be easy.

The tip, cap, clip and band can be changed so turned barrels can be used easily with any finish.

Damage to blanks is avoided by not having to press fit anything.

Cons

No instructions are available with the kits...while that might seem minor for a slimline in this case it isn't - you'll see why.

The tubes require an 8mm hole through the blank. The bottom tubes have a threaded smaller tub inserted for the transmission and tip to screw into. The top tube the inside of the blank is threaded with very shallow threads.

Placed on a mandrel both tubes at a bit too loose for turning the top tube is much worse than the bottom, but it becomes very difficult to turn them round. The top tube either has to be turned between centers or an insert to fit a standard mandrel has to be made.

I finally got bushings but they are such that they won't fit on a standard mandrel and have to be used TBC...that's ok but they are not TBC bushings. And I still have to leave the turning well proud of the bushings and approach the last bit by sanding to get them round enough.

The threads in the top tube are very shallow and it is really difficult to keep glue out of them when gluing in the tubes. It is also a little difficult to clean the excess glue out if you get any in the threads.

The threads in the top tube, being so shallow also are easily damaged so the cap will not screw on.

The bottom tube is going to be very unforgiving on tube length - unlike normal slimlines you can't compensate for tube length by controling the depth of the transmission. Also taking tube when squaring can damage the threads making assembly impossible.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I agree with just about everything you said. I only turn between centers, so the mandrel isn't an issue for me. One thing I think would help is if the threads didn't end at the end of the tube. If they were recessed a bit, then there would be little chance of damaging the threads when the blank was squared. Another option might be press in threaded fittings. This would allow for the use of the threaded transmission, which I think is the best feature. I know there has been more than a few times I wished I could easily change a transmission. It would also allow to press the fitting in a bit less to get the perfect depth for the refill in the event the tube was trimmed slightly during squaring. Overall, I think it's a great concept.

Cmiles1985

Thanks for the review Smitty. My kits are in a bag with some partially turned, some over turned, some with glue stuck in the threads and some OOR. They are now all waiting for "just the right time" whenever that may be.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks for the review Smitty. My kits are in a bag with some partially turned, some over turned, some with glue stuck in the threads and some OOR. They are now all waiting for "just the right time" whenever that may be.
I am going to report things to Rizheng - this kit just isn't ready for market.

KenV

Sounds like knowing the threading specificatins is important -- so one can have a matching tap to do thread chasing.

Rchan63

Mine are sitting in a box with the blanks drilled. I'm going to try to sheet wax trick and seal the end of the tubes before glueing and TBC. I agreed it is not ready for prime time.

sbell111

Thanks for the review. It makes me glad that I didn't pull the trigger on those kits. My concerns were glue in the threads and screwing up the threads while milling.

Frankly, the kits 'good' feature; the ability to esaily swap the transmission by unscrewing it; isn't that awesome. It seems that they are introducing a problem to the kit that it didn't have before in order to resolve the fairly rare need to swap out a slimline transmission.

Allowing the slimline transmission to unscrew creates the same problem that is built into the Sierra, Cigar, Jr Gent Ballpoint, and other kits in that it would allow the transmission to be accidentally unscrewed while the pen is assembled; resulting in a maintenance request or worse, a 'broken' pen that is never reported back to the seller. To combat these maintenance problems on those 'parker' kits, many of us lock down those transmissions with locktite or whatever to stop them from unscrewing. We would likely have to do this with the threaded slimline, also, negating the benefit that this kit offers.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks for the review. It makes me glad that I didn't pull the trigger on those kits. My concerns were glue in the threads and screwing up the threads while milling.

Frankly, the kits 'good' feature; the ability to esaily swap the transmission by unscrewing it; isn't that awesome. It seems that they are introducing a problem to the kit that it didn't have before in order to resolve the fairly rare need to swap out a slimline transmission.

Allowing the slimline transmission to unscrew creates the same problem that is built into the Sierra, Cigar, Jr Gent Ballpoint, and other kits in that it would allow the transmission to be accidentally unscrewed while the pen is assembled; resulting in a maintenance request or worse, a 'broken' pen that is never reported back to the seller. To combat these maintenance problems on those 'parker' kits, many of us lock down those transmissions with locktite or whatever to stop them from unscrewing. We would likely have to do this with the threaded slimline, also, negating the benefit that this kit offers.
I think there was one other purpose aside from the transmission change, and that would be aimed at the customer who likes the blank but wants a different finish on the components.

Top Bottom