Test Pen Survey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatdawg

Up until now I've only been making Slim style pens and I'm ready to start trying other styles. When I started making pens I would give them away to some close friends then later ask thier opinions on them. Even though they all said they liked them, I wasn't sure how honest they were being.

What I was thinking about was trying to turn a couple Serria's or Gastby's and give out to some of the business men and women in the area. I think I would like to come up with a survey form to go along with them. Does anybody use a survey form when sending out test pens? Can anyone give me some idea on layout and items for on the survey?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monark88

I've given away many pens when I first started. Figuring if I could get enough "out there" people would see them and want to order. Didn't happen, maybe just my area.
I would not enjoy taking another survey.
IMHO, Russ

bensoelberg

What is it exactly that you are hoping to learn? Asking whether somebody likes your pen or not is not really going to give you very much information. The way I see it, (and I might be totally wrong, so feel free to correct me if I am) there are only a couple of things that you could possibly ask - Would you prefer a different material/pen style? and How many would you like to order?

Questions about quality are extremely subjective. The easiest and quickest way to judge quality of a turned pen is to examine the fit and finish. These are also pretty objective. Regarding the fit, there is either a noticable difference at the transition from blank to components or there isn't. If you're not sure, a pair of calipers will not lie to you. The finish is slightly less black and white, but still fairly objective. Are there any noticable flaws in the finish? If you are using a CA finish, it should be equally polished all the way around the pen with no pits, ridges, flecks, dirt spots or cracks that change the way light reflects off the pen. Any other finish should be just as uniform. Subjectivity only enters the equation when you consider which type of finishes are preferred and whether or not the finished used will be durable enough. Shape of the pen is pretty subjective, although most seem to dislike the fat or bulgy pens, especially on a slimline. Material is also subjective. Some only like wood, others only want acrylic, others will only be interested in paying for a bullet cartridge pen with antler, it just depends on who is buying the pen. Pen kit preference is similar to material preference. If there was just one universally loved kit out there, there wouldn't be as many options. I'm sure that if you picked what you believe to be the ugliest possible kit out there, somebody else would come back with a list of reasons why they love it. One thing that will make a difference in which kit you use is the plating of the kit. Nobody wants to pay money for a pen that loses its plating after 3 weeks of use and looks cheap (regardless of what they paid for it). By always buying the most durable platings that you can, and you don't have to worry about that issue.

I hope this makes sense, but I don't want you to struggle through making some survey just to find that you haven't really gained anything useful from it.

Andrewsignore

i gave two pens away one to my mom and a friend and thats it i show people my pens and let them pick the one they want to buy if i gave them a pen they would not have to buy one and dont be afriad to charge for your work people want to pay for quality so make sure you put the time needed into each pen to make it worth the money you are charging pm me if you want to know more

monark88

When I first switched over from custom rods to pens, I was practising, as it were. I knew I was going to have to make a number of pens before I was/felt qualified to charge folks for them. Plus, I "had" to provide family with a pen.
My daughter asked me to make 12 or so Mag NeK pens, that she had planned to hand out to her design group. I refused to charge her for this.
After she passed away this past November I felt complelled to present each member of her support group a pen.
I just didn't hand out a whole bunch, for the heck of it, with the exception of my original amount.

monark88

To continue, you are absolutely correct. i just wanted to qualify my original post. I.ve probably given away 30 -40 pens. Just a guess, I really don't know. I've probably sold over 80 pens the first year. Then a 9 month hiatus because of my daughter's illness. I finally began again and have sold about 50 pens so far, since Feb.
The point is(if there is one), show your pens, give away a couple, but not your business.
I know, kind of rambling, but....
Russ

jgourlay

I've given away 4 or 5 pens at my office. I've made it a study to give them to people I see infrequently but have good relations with.

Then I watch carefully to see if they are still using them a year on or more. That tells me what I want to know.

Top Bottom