PSI Faith, Hope, Love - I have a problem with the double-function twist action,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PJVitkus

And the greatest of these is love!

After assembling the pen, it would not work.

Problem description. When I twisted the pen at the lower barrel-upper barrel junction, the inkfill retracted. However, as I completed the retraction action the upper barrel began to unscrew from the lower barrel, which is what I would do to access the inkfill to replace it.

So: one action, one junction, two mechanical operations.

Is this clear? Anyone else experience this? Anyone else experience this AND solve the problem?

Thanks for any pertinent advice!

Phil

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I didn't know these are double twist. Bummer. My only idea would be to tighten the threads FIRMLY!

If the nib isn't one piece, you might be able to un-thread the nib to replace the ink

TonyL

I don't think they are double twist. And my solution was to tighten the threads.

You could try just a tiny drop of the lightest weight LocTite. That would help keep the twist mechanism from unscrewing until you have to change the ink. Then you'll have to use a little more muscle!

PJVitkus

Did get fairly extensive notes back from Ed and Tony of PSI. They advised to twist it on as hard as I could.

So with nothing to lose and a working pen to gain, I tried it, and to my amazement it worked! The inkfill retracted and [what's the word? Protracted?]!

However, I am not so bold as to test whether I could open it to replace the inkfill. Good thing this was not going to a paying customer. Ed said the pen design, which I thought is a double twist, has been used on thousands of PSI pens. Not that I want to do PSI quality control, I may test all the movements on the pen next time around.

Btw, another example of where PSI could benefit from Ray to read, complete and accurate instructions, ya think?

Phil

Last edited:

lwalper

Yep, not sure I like the double twist for that very reason. They tend to come apart and it's probably not related to any particular brand. It's just when I twist to the left the top tends to unscrew from the bottom. Not my favorite design.

Dale Allen

It has been my experience that with transmisions that screw onto the centerband or onto an insert pressed into the lower barrel, the fit needs to be near exact. If there is any chance the wood contacts before the brass pieces are fully engaged, there is a chance the halves will not be tight enough. Since the wood is softer and can give a little, it cannot hold the tranny from turning. But the downside is that if the wood pieces are too far away from one another, it shows an unsightly gap.
However, in that case fine tuning can be achieved by filing the brass end of the tranny, just enough to adjust the fit.
I've had to do that on a few double twist units.

Top Bottom