PSI Bolt action pen bolts working loose?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daveg

I don't know if this is the right forum for this or not. Mods feel free to move it to the appropriate forum if necessary.

I've had two of my PSI bolt-action pens come back from customers with loose bolts. It's not difficult to fix and so far both of them have been local so no shipping was involved, but it's still a PITA. What happens is the bolt starts to rock forward toward the nib, which should be tightening it up, not loosening. What I think is happening is the factory uses a version of Loctite and doesn't actually tighten the bolt all the way down, and they expect the Loctite to hold it in place. It's not actually Loctite, it's a gray substance that I think does the same thing.

I fix it by backing the bolt all the way out, cleaning the screws as best I can with a bit of acetone on a small brush. Then I use 30 minute epoxy to glue the bolt back in. However, I've run into a problem doing that where the bolt no longer pushes the nib completely out, it's short by probably 1/16" - 3/32" or so. Enough that I'd notice it, but a customer might not.

I just got my second pen to repair this afternoon, and I want to make sure it's repaired correctly. Has anyone else run into this & how do you fix it?

ossaguy

I can't tell by your description,but in case you didn't know,there is a Phillips screw that is the locking screw for the bolt.If you unscrew the nib cap,use a #1 Phillips screw driver up the tube to tighten it home.I had to trim some of the plastic screwdriver handle away on my Craftsman screwdriver so it can reach it.

Steve

triw51

On my assembly instructions there is a note to make sure that screw is tight before pressing the bolt assembly into the tube. You might want to check to make sure that screw is tight before you finish. I notice some are looser than others.

daveg

I can't tell by your description,but in case you didn't know,there is a Phillips screw that is the locking screw for the bolt.If you unscrew the nib cap,use a #1 Phillips screw driver up the tube to tighten it home.I had to trim some of the plastic screwdriver handle away on my Craftsman screwdriver so it can reach it.

Steve

Steve,
I had no idea! Thanks so much!

Top Bottom