Mini Review Pocket Pen (Dayacom)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I saw this pen kit at one of our supplier's sites and also on this forum. I liked the look of the finished kit, the fact that it was a smaller pen, so I decided to give it a try.

The kit is the Pocket Pen Ballpoint made by Dayacom, and is sold by Lau Lua Woodworks. The kits cost $5.00 at the time of this post, and are only available in Chrome plating. The clip has a clear crystal on the top. LauLau processed and delivered the order quickly. I have no business associations with either Dayacom or LauLau, just a novice pen maker.

The kit came with no instruction sheet and I did not find one on the Dayacom site or at LLW. Many helpful hints were contributed by several others on IAP who had some experience with this kit.

At this time I have completed three (3) of these kits. One was simple and straight forward (pictures below), the others a little more complicated and did not work out as planned (segmented).

This pen has an upper and lower barrel and is postable. It uses a "snap cap" sleeve to post the barrels. The plastic sleeve has to be "adjusted" to have the parts fit together with no gaps. The adjustment is made with a small screwdriver. The plastic sleeve screws onto the stud mounted on the clip. It is not difficult, just be careful during the adjustment not to strip the threads. I inserted the sleeve during final assembly. All of the parts are well made, plating is good.

The details:
bushings - 3 pieces
drill bit - I used a 3/8" (a 9.5mm would probably work better)
overall length closed - 4-3/8"
upper barrel - 1-3/4"
lower barrel - 3-5/8"
posted length - 5"
refill - mini size

Turning the barrels is straight forward, no tenons, etc. The finished material on this kit is THIN. In fact, it is incredibly thin, the thinnest I have made. I would recommend painting the tubes for this kit, no matter if wood or acrylic. I experienced a few small chip outs near the bushings on the first pen (its thin). The pen is lightweight and feels comfortable in the hand. I made the first one with the crystal in the cap. The crystal came off during assembly, had to glue it back on. Did not really like it after it was finished. I will probably remove the crystal on future pens and replace with a turned piece to match the barrels.

My Opinion ----

Pros: It is quick to turn (short barrels) and assemble with only seven (7) parts. The kit is inexpensive. Nice looks if you like a shorter, narrow pen.

Cons: THIN, no instructions, plastic sleeve for posting, only chrome plating, crystal on the cap.

Summary:
For me, after I get the ones I ordered completed, it may be a while before I order any more. I would like to see a version of this kit without the snap cap (magnetic?) and with a little thicker barrel.

[Update after initial review] - I have shown this pen to several people and they generally like it (more than I do). So, give it a try and let me know what you think about the kit.

Pictures below:
1 - bushings and barrels
2 - turned barrels and all the parts
3 - completed pen - closed
4 - pen open
5 - posted cap

Attachments

• Pp01.jpg
    Pp01.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 587
  • Pp03.jpg
    Pp03.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 834
  • pp04.jpg
    pp04.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 787
  • pp05.jpg
    pp05.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • pp06.jpg
    pp06.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I saw this pen kit at one of our supplier's sites and also on this forum. I liked the look of the finished kit, the fact that it was a smaller pen, so I decided to give it a try.

The kit is the Pocket Pen Ballpoint made by Dayacom, and is sold by Lau Lua Woodworks. The kits cost $5.00 at the time of this post, and are only available in Chrome plating. The clip has a clear crystal on the top. LauLau processed and delivered the order quickly. I have no business associations with either Dayacom or LauLau, just a novice pen maker.

The kit came with no instruction sheet and I did not find one on the Dayacom site or at LLW. Many helpful hints were contributed by several others on IAP who had some experience with this kit.

At this time I have completed three (3) of these kits. One was simple and straight forward (pictures below), the others a little more complicated and did not work out as planned (segmented).

This pen has an upper and lower barrel and is postable. It uses a "snap cap" sleeve to post the barrels. The plastic sleeve has to be "adjusted" to have the parts fit together with no gaps. The adjustment is made with a small screwdriver. The plastic sleeve screws onto the stud mounted on the clip. It is not difficult, just be careful during the adjustment not to strip the threads. I inserted the sleeve during final assembly. All of the parts are well made, plating is good.

The details:
bushings - 3 pieces
drill bit - I used a 3/8" (a 9.5mm would probably work better)
overall length closed - 4-3/8"
upper barrel - 1-3/4"
lower barrel - 3-5/8"
posted length - 5"
refill - mini size

Turning the barrels is straight forward, no tenons, etc. The finished material on this kit is THIN. In fact, it is incredibly thin, the thinnest I have made. I would recommend painting the tubes for this kit, no matter if wood or acrylic. I experienced a few small chip outs near the bushings on the first pen (its thin). The pen is lightweight and feels comfortable in the hand. I made the first one with the crystal in the cap. The crystal came off during assembly, had to glue it back on. Did not really like it after it was finished. I will probably remove the crystal on future pens and replace with a turned piece to match the barrels.

My Opinion ----

Pros: It is quick to turn (short barrels) and assemble with only seven (7) parts. The kit is inexpensive. Nice looks if you like a shorter, narrow pen.

Cons: THIN, no instructions, plastic sleeve for posting, only chrome plating, crystal on the cap.

Summary:
For me, after I get the ones I ordered completed, it may be a while before I order any more. I would like to see a version of this kit without the snap cap (magnetic?) and with a little thicker barrel.

[Update after initial review] - I have shown this pen to several people and they generally like it (more than I do). So, give it a try and let me know what you think about the kit.

Pictures below:
1 - bushings and barrels
2 - turned barrels and all the parts
3 - completed pen - closed
4 - pen open
5 - posted cap
Hi there, i like the look of the Pocket pen in Chrome, i have made a few of these but i could only get the kit in Gold finish. If you fancy trying them in Gold the kit is available from Penn State Industries the Price is $5.95, and the code is #PK Purse.
You can see the ones i made on my website www.woodmagicaxarquia.com
Item Numbers WA31 & WA32

DurocShark

I'm not a fan. I've made and sold some, but the buyers always have trouble.

The refill is a bear to get seated. And the press fit of the part means if the refill comes out, it won't ever stick in again. The crystal in the top pops off at the slightest provocation. To the point where the last few I did I just took the crystal off and added a finial made from the blank material.

It's a bummer, because this is a good looking pen when complete.

bitshird

I'm with Don, I've made a couple, and actually sold one, but I don't like the snap cap, nor the Crystal, we did the same thing to the last couple we made, just mad a finial out of the material the pen body was made from, BUT it is a neat looking little pen.

turn4fun

I'm can't open the Online Store on Lau Lau's Website. Is anyone else having this problem? I've ordered pen kits from them before. It seems like something has changed.. Larry

Dorno

Larry I remember reading somewhere on here that they were having trouble with the website. I believe it was with the people hosting his site and they were not able to change anything or fees were astrnomical to work the site it was something like that. I am sure once they see your message they will help you out if not send them an email I am sure that will do the job.

Cheers Ian

ghostrider

I'm can't open the Online Store on Lau Lau's Website. Is anyone else having this problem? I've ordered pen kits from them before. It seems like something has changed.. Larry
I managed to open it just now when checking.

While placing an order this week, I had trouble locating a certain item and emailed him. He got back to me quickly with a solution to my delima.

turn4fun

Thanks for the replies. I just went to the Lau-Lau website.
After I got there I tried to open the On Line Store and it still wouldn't work. Maybe they're still having a problem.. Larry

turn4fun

Ghostrider.. Thank You! That site works for me. I was going to the site I've used in the past and it doesn't seem to work anymore. That site was "laulauwood.com" where I could get to the pen kits by going to the "Online Store". It looks like that website might have been re-designed. Perhaps it'll get fixed up soon. Anyway thanks for your help.. Larry

ghostrider

Ghostrider.. Thank You! That site works for me. I was going to the site I've used in the past and it doesn't seem to work anymore. That site was "laulauwood.com" where I could get to the pen kits by going to the "Online Store". It looks like that website might have been re-designed. Perhaps it'll get fixed up soon. Anyway thanks for your help.. Larry
YW.

I remember that happening to me a while back.

When my regular bookmark for LLW didn't work, I just googled it and looked around until I found something that works.

ETA:
BTW, I just got a couple of these kits in the mail today. Found the instructions at another site for them because I've never done these kits before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom