Penn State Dura Click EDC first look

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm always in the market for a new style and thought these might be worth a try. Ordered and received quick.

Observations:
1 - The PSI catalog ad says 3/8" tube. INCORRECT. It's actually an 8mm. Fortunately the starter kit and instructions are okay.
2 - There has been discussion (here) on weight. The finished pen (I used wood on all 5 I made) weighs about 12-13 grams (approx. 1/2 oz) more in the brass and stainless versions. The other 3 are aluminum or anodized aluminum. The aluminum versions are lighter than the other pens I make by about 12-13 grams (approx. 1/2oz). I don't see this as a bad thing. Some customers ask for a lighter pen.
3 - The click mechanism is a German "engineered" (not necessarily "made") Schmidt device. On inspection, it appears simple and precise. In operation it is very smooth with no audible click. I really like it and hope it can be adapted to other mfrs. It is, however, a lot shorter than the mechanisms that are currently being used. That presents an issue I'll discuss.
4 - The overall length of the pen (refill extended) is just over 5 1/2" which is consistent with most pens except the "Sierra"-style (LeRoi, Gatsby, etc). Those are shorter - maybe 3/8". In any case, a "refill extender" is included with the EDC to keep the length at 5 1/2". The extender adds 1/2". The extender can be eliminated if the tube is shortened but that would make the pen 5" long. Pretty short IMHO. I see this as a potential issue but, hey, we are turners. Can't we help a customer out by turning a replacement?
5 - The clips and click buttons are all bright steel or "chrome". I'm thinking it would be better if they matched the metal on the rest of the pen (brass, black, etc). I know, I know, more $ on an already expensive pen. But, to my eye, it looks "patched" together on the brass and anodized aluminum versions.
6 - The knurling is markedly softer on the stainless version. Because of that it is the version I prefer. The harsher knurling on the other styles seems a little harsh to me.
7 - Overall, I'm liking this pen. We'll see if it sells enough to get more.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• edc1.jpg
    edc1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • edc2.jpg
    edc2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,412
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for the review Ted. The longer barrel interests me, as well as the overall appearance. I appreciate your comments.

Very nice pens also! :wink:

Gregf

I finished my first last night. The "click" mechanism is smooth and quiet.
I like it a lot.
The aluminum ones are almost too light.
I would say it's definitely a guy pen style in my opinion.
I hope they use the same mechanism in other styles.

magpens

Lovely work, Ted ... thanks for showing. ... It is good to get this review of the new kit.

I hope PSI makes use of this click mechanism in other kits also. .. The world needs some more improved "clickers" !

Could you please just identify which pen is aluminum, brass, stainless ... anodized, etc. . would really like to know as I intend to order some today or tomorrow.

Also, please ... when refill is extended does the button stay depressed or does it spring back up?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

For a lack of a better word what is the dimensions of the bushings?? Or what is the amount of meat left on the blank when turned down B to B

magpens

Thanks.

As for the pen hardware ... from top left to bottom right ... would I be correct with this ordering of the kits :

Brass, Black Anodized, Bronze, Stainless, Aluminum ....... ???????

Last edited:

penicillin

TonyL

I do not know. I would happy to measure it if you tell me how.

I will say this, I have made 3 of the 5 that I bought and have been carrying around the first for about 2 weeks. I naturally dropped it sever times, but it survived.

I see a relatively minor issue. The part of the click mechanism that screws into the cap coupler has to be tightened every few days. I guess one can use blue loc tite. I noticed this issue when after a day or two the point was not fully extending.

magpens

Does anyone happen to know the thread pitch of the nose cone?

9.25 mm x 0.75 mm is what I measure. . But I am wary of that diameter.

A 9.0 x 0.75 tap is a sloppy fit to the female thread.

A 9.0 x 0.75 die does not fit the male thread, so maybe 9.25 is right, or it could even be 9.5.

Last edited:

Henry

Ok thanks! I'm really just looking to come close. The metal knurled grip at the bottom doesn't do anything for me. I was thinking of getting rid of it and maybe glue the nose cone directly on. Threading it on would be more desirable however. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

penicillin

I have made three of the Penn State Duraclick EDC pens. Here are my comments about the mechanisms:

* They feel well engineered and smooth. I think they will be very reliable over the long term.
* The action is very smooth with no resistance points like most pens. The button operates smoothly and then bottoms out.
* There is no sound or clicking. You can hear the metal parts sliding against one another, that's all.
* The resistance is low. I would have preferred a stiffer mechanism, one with more resistance. A stiffer spring might help.

Additional Notes:

* The length of the tube is precise. If you shorten the tube or leave excess wood, the tip will over- or under- extend respectively.

* On one pen, I cut off a small bit of the tube accidentally, so the pen tip extended too far. I sanded the insert to adjust it. That worked, but I sanded it too much. I made a replacement spacer from a small piece of wood dowel and a cut-off nail. I drill the end of a dowel, pressed a finish nail in the end, cut the nail with a bolt cutter, and cut the dowel to fit with a Japanese hand saw.

I talked about it in this thread:
https://www.penturners.org/threads/...s-murphys-law-strikes-again-and-again.162275/

TonyL

I have professionally machined bushings. I will send you the specs later JT.
The difference between 11mm and 7.32mm = 3.68mm. My guy makes them more snug (they slide in and out easily, but much less slop than the stock PSI bushings).

magpens

@Ted iin Michigan

ANYONE can answer my question.

In the first post it is stated that:

"a "refill extender" is included with the EDC to keep the length at 5 1/2". The extender adds 1/2". The extender can be eliminated if the tube is shortened but that would make the pen 5" long. "

Just wondering how to get the extender OFF. It seems pretty securely in place.

Would appreciate any comments/help .... Thank you.

jttheclockman

Thanks Tony. I have bypassed this kit. Did not think it was something I would like with the fussy measurements. I may try another click some time down the road.

Top Bottom