Pen Hardware

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim K

I have a question about pen hardware as I don't like using the wording "pen kits"....
What are the best medium to high end pen hardware that is being used? I'm speaking to the quality and durability of the hardware.

Thanks in advance...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phillyjer

I believe the answer to your question is more complex than a simple name brand. There are kits and then there are individual components you can purchase to make "kitless" pens or upgrade a kit pen. For example you can purchase a fountain pen kit and then upgrade the nib to a brand name.
As for quality and durability the replies will vary depending upon taste preferences, as well as, pure luck of the draw as to not receiving a defective product.
I've usually found the old saying " you get what you pay for..." to hold true in most cases. The better quality kits tend to cost more.

brownsfn2

As a fairly new (1yr) pen turner I learned to try several suppliers. I would not make a choice based solely on the hardware brand. I would try several different vendors. If you get a good experience from a vendor that stands behind the product then you have much less worries in picking the right brand of kits.

Start with the vendors that support the IAP. All are quality vendors and give great service. I have my favorites but it is better if you try them on your own and have your own experiences. A few will stand out.

You can see their catalogs here: Vendor Catalogs - International Association of Penturners

Check out the websites though since they have much more there.

Also do research here: Vendor Cheers & Jeers - International Association of Penturners

You can learn from others experiences.

Hope that helps.

brownsfn2

I can see why some might find that funny but in all honesty I have ordered from all the pen manufacturers at one time or another and I have had quality problems with all of them. That is why I think it is important to choose a vendor that backs up their product and responds quickly to quality issues.

For example I would order PSI kits from a vendor other than PSI. I just had a bad experience in the past. I am sure that not everyone's experience is the same though. If it was then PSI would not be in business.

Look at their Majestic line. You can't say that those kits do not have good quality plating. It seems on par with other's high end lines.

I am afraid you with this thread you are gonna get those who are loyal to particular brands and if they had a bad experience in the past that did not get resolved they will probably dismiss the whole brand as opposed to looking at how the vendor handled a claim.

Dave Turner

When I first started making pens, I bought lots of different style "component sets" from many different vendors. It was fun and I'm glad I did it. I got a chance to decide which styles were to my liking and what I didn't care for. As was said before, you get what you pay for. First let me say that I generally don't buy the gold plated sets. I stick with the titanium gold, platinum, rhodium, and black titanium. I also find chrome to be a nice wearing plating.

Once you get above the $10 to $15 dollar range for a set, you tend to get a metal finish that is better than the under $5 sets. Nothing big, but if you closely examine the metal parts by touch and with magnification, you find almost no rough spots or imperfections on the premium sets. These imperfections are not that unusual for a $3 slimline set. Once you get into the $20 and above range, the finish and quality of the metal parts tends to be perfect and the clips seem to be of a higher quality design. The ornamentation quality also improves.

Again, these are not make-it or break-it changes in quality. I doubt that the average customer would even notice the difference. It comes down to your own personal or business preference.

Tim K

I have been getting some complaints from customers about the Sierra pens kit and the satin piece above the nib is spinning, it had also happened to my daily pen that I carry. Is anyone else having this problem?

There's not much to assembling these, so maybe I'm missing something?
Any advice would help! Thanks

Andrew_K99

I have been getting some complaints from customers about the Sierra pens kit and the satin piece above the nib is spinning, it had also happened to my daily pen that I carry. Is anyone else having this problem?

There's not much to assembling these, so maybe I'm missing something?
Any advice would help! Thanks
I had the exact problem with a number of sierra type pen kits [see here]. I used a punch to push out the nib and glued the satin barrel so it couldn't spin anymore. I intend to use this to all the kits to ensure they won't fail later on.

AK

Tim K

Good to know, I'll try to get it apart. Not only dose the statin piece spin but the band also spins. There seems to be 'play' in the two pieces, almost a compression issue. I can take it apart and lightly compress the lower section and it will tighten up and work for a few twists, I guess I'll try glueing.

I would hate to think that this would be the case for this style of pen.
Also two different vendors and and 6 out of 20 has had this happen, that I know about.

Russianwolf

for the best quality expect to pay a premium.

Right now the best are (imho)

Laserlinez (he has a Stainless Steel ballpoint and a Rollerball/FP)
Marksman (Stainless Steel Rollerball/FP only)
Silverpenparts.com (Sterling pen part for severaltypes)

Then there are at least a couple others who are working on offering solid metal pens also.

To me, high quality means no plating to wear out. Superior fit and finish, etc.

Last edited:

Tim K

Thanks Russianwolf,
That's what I'm looking for. I've looked at the Marksman, they looks great, going to order a couple of thistle kits as soon as I have some time.
I'll take a look a the others. Let me know if you run across any more!

Thanks

PenMan1

I pay more attention to the plating or metal choice than name brand. I've hade quality issues with all of the high end components, except the new Lazerlinez set.

My first consideration is how the hardware looks and feels with my blank and design. For the most part I only use Chrome, Rodium, Black TI and finally gold TN. Out of those sets that I've used (basically all of them), the chrome finish seems to hold up the best and weigh the least.

Whoever said "go with the distributor that stands behind their products" made a great point. Almost ALL of the hardware available is mass produced, and if you make lots of pens, you'll eventually run into quality issues with all, including the VERY high end.

Finally, use the Harware that sells best in your market. You may buy the very best quality available, but if your customers don't like it, you have a very expensive "portfolio" that may make it impossible to recoup your investment in materials.

Respectfully submitted.

Top Bottom