Full Review MARKSMAN ROLLERBALL PEN KIT REVIEW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

~FULL PEN REVIEW by: Seamus Rooney~
Featuring a Tru-Silver™ Proof Texas Quarter Blank
~Marksman Pen Kit Components:
(Tru-Quarter™ blank and bushings purchased separately)
Upper Barrel: Tube Length~ 44.60mm
I.D.~ 11.17mm
O.D.~ 12.22mm(size reflects label on tube)
Lower Barrel: Tube Length~ 63.60mm
I.D.~ 9.54mm
O.D.~ 10.77mm(size reflects label on tube)
The components in this kit are all crafted from stainless steel and they have been polished to give a superior shine. When you remove them from the packaging, you will notice how solid the parts feel!
In this next picture, you will see how the nib section unscrews from the nib coupler as well as the center band coupler before it is pressed into the upper barrel.
The Marksman Pen kit also includes (as seen above) a Schmidt (Fine tip 5888) rollerball refill.
Unlike most rollerball pen kits, the Marksman pen kit does not have lose parts to keep up with.
I really like the fact that there are no trim rings to keep up with. Again, all of the components are made from a solid piece of stainless steel.
The Finial/cap has been upgraded from the original design to accommodate the recessed clip
As an added feature, the Finial/cap also allows you to create your own accent or use the included "Jewel"(see below).For my review, I chose to use a "Cross" concho that I picked up from Tandy Leather company in Ft.Worth, TX
This picture shows the Globe Jewel placed on the top of the finialand the cross concho seated into the finial. Below is the item number of the Cross Concho and a picture showing the back side of the concho after the threaded section has been ground off using a bench grinder.
Then epoxy can be used to hold it in place.
The next items I would like to cover are the bushings. They are bi-functional, in that they can be used between centers or on a pen mandrel. They are made from hardened tool steel which is superior to standard bushings and will prolong the life substantially and ensure the bushings maintain the appropriate size.
For this review, I chose to use them "between centers" using a dead center in the headstock and a 60 degree live center in the tailstock.
Basically, all that needs to be said is that the bushings are a breeze to use and worked flawlessly!
Overall, my experience with the Marksman Pen Kit gets 5 out of 5 stars for *Excellent Craftsmanship
&
*Ease of assembly
I look forward to the new innovations that the Marksman Designers bring to the art of pen making.
As for the price, I thought it was a great value when you consider the fact that you can guarantee your customer's a pen that won't lose its plating and will withstand the test of time!
Marksman pen kits can be purchased by going to:
http://www.marksmanpens.com

The attached PDF is my Full Review of the Marksman Rollerball Pen Kit.

Attachments

• Marksman Full Pen Review.pdf
    764.2 KB · Views: 1,360
Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had seen their site when I searched for an American made pen kit, but was hesitant to order, because I hadn't heard anything about their products. I will be adding them to my vendor list in the future. Thank you for the review.

chrisk

I have about 5 of those kits kits I purchased from Constant Laubscher and have yet to turn them. I even didn't notice the bushings bi-functionality which is a great feature.

Thanks for sharing Seamus.

socdad

The Marksman kit looks like an outstanding addition to any pen makers list … and the proof Tru-quarter work makes any kit great pen.

its_virgil

Seamus,
Nice review! Your review of the Marksman kit is complete and concise and I enjoyed reading it. The pictures helped a lot and were well done. The quarter blank rocks too! Thanks for the information on a kit I have not seen in person...oh! I forgot. I think you brought it over when you first received it for me to see. Thanks again.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

seamus7227

thank you all for the great comments about the review, however, the quality of craftsmanship in these pen kits is what should be getting all of the attention, not me:rolleyes:. For those of you that may think this kit is expensive, think again! I personally feel that with the other high end pen kits out there that are plated, they dont stand a chance in lasting as long as the Marksman components will! For me, there is nothing worse than having a good customer come back with a pen you worked so hard for to make a beautiful pen, and the plating is coming off! With these, the worst case scenario is that the polished look of the stainless steel will (with normal usage)begin to have a brushed metal appearance. But the pen components will never fade. Matter of fact, I would venture to say that the materials used on the upper and lower barrels will wear out long before the components will. Thats my opinion and I approve this message! :biggrin:

I know it may sound cheesy, but until you hold one of these kits in your hand and feel how solid yet lightweight it is, you will never understand.

marksman

Seamus, I really appreciate the thorough review and the Tru-Quarter™ blank really sets off the pen! Thanks to all others for the kind comments.

seamus7227

Seamus, I really appreciate the thorough review and the Tru-Quarter™ blank really sets off the pen! Thanks to all others for the kind comments.

Mark, thanks for providing a classy product made of quality material! The fact that I can sell your kits for anywhere from $250-$500 each, and in some cases I bet they could pull close to $1000, is enough for me!

Top Bottom