Maple Leaf Pen & Pencil Kits (Wm Wood-write)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VE5MDH

My wife has a question for our friends here at IAP.

We recently purchased a sizeable quantity of these New Maple Leaf Pen & Pencil Kits from Wm. Wood-Write (GTA).

I prepared (cut on the lathe) a few blanks and Andrea spent her time putting the polish to the blanks.

When it came time to assemble these new kits, Andrea was very impressed with the Pen kit. The pen looked very impressive to say the least (Blank was one of my Pen Wizard creations).

When it came time to put together the Matching Pencil Kit,well Andrea noticed a few issues!

Since this was the first pencil we hand made, Andrea took extra time assembling this one!

With the finished product, Andrea was stunned! Her face fell.

When she unscrewed the cap to access the eraser, there it was... FLUSH at the end of the pen, but totally unusable to the Customer!!! (Please view the attached photo).

Andrea contacted Wm. Wood-Write and his response was to cut the tube down 6.3mm, which will make for a shorter pencil, and this would allow the eraser to be exposed when you take off the end cap. (What???)...or just take the barrel off to use the eraser. Right im going to tell some one that buys it to do that. Don't think so.

He also shared that this is normal for pencil kits.

My question to the group today is:

a) have you ever come across this situation?
b) Are the erasers SHORT??? (They do not protrude from the end of the pencil when the end cap is removed?
c) Is this a faulty design error?

Your valued comments / suggestions, ideas are gratefully welcomed.

Respectfully,

Michael & Andrea
A&M Craftwerks!

Attachments

• 6000aaa.jpg
    6000aaa.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 6000aab.jpg
    6000aab.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 6000aac.jpg
    6000aac.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Are the tubes for the pencil the same as the ballpoint ? In the tube and bushing app the similar Sierra tube is 2.21" long and the pencil is 1.76" long. So the tube length can vary to suit the pencil mechanism. You could look for the Schmidt pencil mechanism that converts a ballpoint into a pencil and see if it is longer.

VE5MDH

Are the tubes for the pencil the same as the ballpoint ? In the tube and bushing app the similar Sierra tube is 2.21" long and the pencil is 1.76" long. So the tube length can vary to suit the pencil mechanism. You could look for the Schmidt pencil mechanism that converts a ballpoint into a pencil and see if it is longer.

Go figure, eh! What a small world out there, Pete. S'Toon of all places to respond to this question!

Andrea says that the tubes are identical in length. So, from what I gather then, maybe I should look into cutting these tubes down 6.3mm in size and hold my breath from there.

Wonder why the manufacturer has not considered this size difference. Both tubes are 56mm in length. The PDF is available for dnld at PenBlanks.ca/ with no mention of cutting the tubes down in size 6.3mm. So, I guess the tube size should have been mfg'd to 49.7mm.

BTW, would love to touch base some time in the future. Nice to see that there is another Artisan who enjoys turning pens!

Michael & Andrea

magpens

Thanks for this thread.

I have only made the pen (Maple Leaf from WWW) and really love it !

I have not ordered the pencil kit so it is good to know about your experience.

VE5MDH

Thanks for this thread.

I have only made the pen (Maple Leaf from WWW) and really love it !

I have not ordered the pencil kit so it is good to know about your experience.

Thanks! I must say that the Black pen kit made with Padauk is simply stunning! What contrast.

Attachments

• 7000.jpg
    7000.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Top Bottom