Manhattan Click Pen Review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am always looking for a reliable Click Pen and besides the CLICKER pen from Craft Supplies USA , for me their are not a lot of reliable styles out there.
The Manhattan Click pen arrived this morning and finding some spare time I decided to turn one and see if this could be a pen I would add to my collection and purchase more in the future.

I ordered the Chrome version as it seemed like it would be the most durable.

This pen does not have many parts. It consists only of a tip and coupler, a clip, click mechanism and ink cartridge. This pen will assemble quick and straightforward. The finish looks of very high quality which is not something i would expect from an Apprentice pen. I had a scrap piece of Dessert Ironwood and though I would break a personal rule of mine an use it on a new style of pen which I am making for the first time. Turning is a snap and straight forward. It uses two .471 bushings and things move pretty quick. I put my standard ca finish on and got ready to assemble.

It goes together fast. My only gripe is the separate clip ....WHY? it hooks into two small slits in the clip mechanism. I did not put any locktight on it but it just seems there is not a lot holding it on. I am curious to see if that is the pen's achilles heel!
The only other thing you have to fabricate is a push block to help push the click mechanism into the barrel. It's a 3/8 inch hole about a 1/2 inch deep in a piece of wood.

Pictures attached.. I like the heft and feel.... not too big and can really show off a nice piece of wood or acrylic.

I just hope it holds up over time!

Attachments

• photo20.jpg
    photo20.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • photo21.JPG
    photo21.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 973
  • photo22.JPG
    photo22.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 720
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Nice looking pen. And a beautiful piece of Desert Iron wood. How does the click mechanism feel compared to the clicker. I too am a fan of click pens, and love the clicker. And like you, I'm always looking for another style of click pen.

SDB777

...for me their are not a lot of reliable styles out there....

Was just wondering how you evaluate the quality of a 'click type pen'? I've done quite a few 'click style', and have not had a failure with any of them...but then again, maybe I haven't found that person yet with a nervous 'tic' that does the thumb workout while talking on the phone....20,000 clicks a day(don't laugh, everyone has seen one somewhere).

The pen you photo'd....most excellent turning! Big thumbs up!

Scott (super finish) B

Thanks,

The click mechanism feels just a little softer than the "Clicker" pen mechanism. It is very solid and not soft like the VERTEX.

Thanks for the Compliments.. I guess I evaluate the quality of the pen mechanism by "how many I get back from customers after a month or so ;). I just may be unlucky too and many customers may have GORILLA HANDS when they use my pens :). The CLICKER pen from CSUSA has always been the best for me as I just havent received any back from customers. They are just a little BIG for woman, so I was looking for something different.

John

Treeturner - Real nice job ob the pen. The ironwood looks to be a real nice choice.

Personally, I'm kind of a "nervous clicker", but I prefer a click pen. I like the CSUSA "Clicker", also, as I, too, think it shows off the blank like few others. While the mechanism may be robust, it, to me, seems a little too rough. My personal favorite and my daily user is the PSI Vertex. I really like the smooth action and it's a great selling point when I'm with a customer. I've sold a lot of these and have never had one come back.

That said, I'm always on the lookout for a pen style that's different enough to grab your attention but is also comfortable in the hand and durable. You may have a winner here. Nice kit at a good price. I'm thinking an order may be in line.

sumterdad

I like that kit better than the regular kit like I posted in the soup forum. Where that kit looks extremely long because of the cap. This one actually looks good and well done on the wood to.it.looks great as.well

UPDATE:

It s only been a few weeks and I am not really sure about selling this pen to customers. Its a great looking pen for bigger hands and it really shows off the wood well, but, I am just not comfortable with the clip on this click pen.
The clip is inserted in two slits and it is basically pressure fit on... Just Press it firmly in the two slits..... The end of the clip then is automatically forced downward on the click mechanism. When the entire click mechanism is pushed in the barrel of the pen the clip is forced upward by the friction with the blank tightening the clip into the clip nechanism slots. its basically a friction fit once it is assembled.
Once it is assembled, over time, if the clip looses its natural friction from continued stretching in shirt pockets, it will become loose.
I used some locktite to lock the clip in better, but I am not sure how well this will hold up over time when a customer uses it.
It's a shame ..... it is an attractive pen and the components look and fit very well, but that damm engineering on the clip mechanism is just not right. its just too bad, i really would have like to make more and it seemed so promising.

John

Great looking Pen, I too just turned a Manhatten for the first time, while i like the way the Pen feels and writes, I have had the Click Button Eject itself and the white portion it is screwed onto to 3 times already, any thoughts? I did phone CSUS and they are sending a replacement

Mikeshoops

I personally don't like these, but some people love them. The rounded nib feels awkward to me. The clip has not been a problem though I agree, I'm not crazy about the extra work and sense that it could pop out. I have two doctors that keep these loaded with Fisher Space refills (Parker style).

Top Bottom