Long Boy Click Pen Video Review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have made several of the Long Boy kits and really love them ... one of my favorites now ... especially because of the long barrel.

gimpy

Thanks Dan, your video's really are a big help.....I will need to try the Long Boy:biggrin::biggrin:

budnder

Thanks for the video. As it happens I assembled my first Long Boy this morning so it was timely. I can't say I'm a fan of the "soft" clicker. I might even use the word mushy to describe the pen I assembled. But it seems to work just fine. I much prefer a crisper click action, for example, from an Eclipse.

Dan Masshardt

Thanks for the video. As it happens I assembled my first Long Boy this morning so it was timely. I can't say I'm a fan of the "soft" clicker. I might even use the word mushy to describe the pen I assembled. But it seems to work just fine. I much prefer a crisper click action, for example, from an Eclipse.

I'm kind of indifferent to the sound / feel one way or the other but I'm happy with the reliability so far. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magpens

Comments about the Long Boy kit

I have made several Long Boy pens using the Berea kit. A couple of comments about my experiences:

a) the clip ring fits somewhat loosely in the recess machined for it in the top piece. I glue in the ring with epoxy so that the clip does not wiggle after assembly.

b) I like to make a single barrel pen from the kit instead of having two barrels. This can be done by turning down the O.D. of the barrel connector to the O.D. of the brass tubes. Alternatively, I have sometimes cut a single long tube to the required length to equal the combined lengths of the two supplied barrels plus the thick portion of the barrel connector; the tube length required is just under 4 inches, but 4.00" works fine.

I really like a pen with a single long barrel and this kit really satisfies that "need" of mine, and has become one of my favorite kits.

c) I like the soft click very much; have had no problems with the mechanism.

Dan Masshardt

I have made several Long Boy pens using the Berea kit. A couple of comments about my experiences:

a) the clip ring fits somewhat loosely in the recess machined for it in the top piece. I glue in the ring with epoxy so that the clip does not wiggle after assembly.

b) I like to make a single barrel pen from the kit instead of having two barrels. This can be done by turning down the O.D. of the barrel connector to the O.D. of the brass tubes. Alternatively, I have sometimes cut a single long tube to the required length to equal the combined lengths of the two supplied barrels plus the thick portion of the barrel connector; the tube length required is just under 4 inches, but 4.00" works fine.

I really like a pen with a single long barrel and this kit really satisfies that "need" of mine, and has become one of my favorite kits.

c) I like the soft click very much; have had no problems with the mechanism.

Interesting idea. I'd like to see a pic of one. Come to think of it, I think I have some long 10mm tubes that would save the work of modifying the center coupler - if the components fit inside well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lhowell

great review and good looking kit! May have to pick some of these up as I have been looking for more professional style clickers!

magpens

Last edited:
Top Bottom