Full Review LE ROI Pen Kit Review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

Pen Kit Name: Gold Titanium with Black Titanium Le Roi from Smitty's Pen Works

Kit Cost: I paid $45 for 10 kits (pre-purchase). Current price is $29.61 for 5 kits

Description: This is a sierra style pen. It uses the same tube/bushings as the sierra/wallstreet, however it is finial operated. Instead of twisting the whole barrel section, you twist just the finial. This kit used a Parker style refill and is 5.25 inches long when assembled

Instructions: To be honest, I did not read the instructions. Assembly is very easy, and easy to figure out. However I did read the instructions after making a pen for the purposes of writing this review.

The instruction state all the items needed. It calls for a blank at least 5/8" square.

I think the instructions were complete. One thing to note: The instructions say to press the _coupler_ into the barrel. Press just the coupler without the tip assembly. Don't attach the tip assembly until all the pressing is complete. The instructions correctly read in this order, so they are accurate. I just wanted to emphasize this because I did not follow this procedure and I damaged the nose cone while pressing. (I may have been a little heavy handed in the pressing too). Entirely my fault since I didn't follow the instructions.

Although not stated in the instructions, I used a touch of blue Loctite on the transmission threads. The refill is changed through the tip assembly, so the transmission never needs to be removed by the customer.

Turning: Because the kit is finial operated, it is tube length sensitive. Do not over trim the ends of the blank. However, this kit is forgiving on the final diameter of the barrel. I usually use a micrometer to measure barrel diameter for a good transition to kit parts. With this kit, micrometer accuracy is not needed. The raised bands on either side of the barrel are rounded, and it is not designed to have the barrel sit flush (see photo). As a result, small variations in final diameter are not noticeable.

Part Quality: Plating looks good. The Black TI is much darker than the Black TI I've seen on other kits. I would rate it at very dark grey, almost black. I have not had the kit long enough to rate plating durability.

The supplied refill tip fit into the nosecone, however I upgraded to an Easyflow 9000 refill. The Easyflow tip must be just a hair fatter than the kit refill, because it bound in the tip hole. I used a #39 drill bit by hand in the tip to resolve the issue.

After widening the tip hole, I found that the refill still did not always retract. The issue is that on this style transmission, the plunger pushes the refill completely out of the transmission. The refill was hanging up on the lip of the transmission when retracting. I used a counter sink bit to put a chamfer on the transmission lip which resolved the issue (Photo shows chamfer)

Conclusion: I really like this kit. This is the easiest kit to make that I have ever done. The part issues I mentioned above are minor and easily remedied in less than 2 minutes. At the pre-purchase pricing this was an excellent value, and is still a very good value at the current pricing. Being that this design is finial operated, it is not subject to the sierra problem where transmissions get pushed up into the barrel.

Attachments

• DSCN1192.jpg
    DSCN1192.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 670
  • DSCN1191b.jpg
    DSCN1191b.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN1193.jpg
    DSCN1193.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 522
  • DSCN1191.jpg
    DSCN1191.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arw01

Very good review and I would like to express my appreciation for taking the time to write it up.

Unfortunately, I mis-interpreted the Le Roi group buy to be related to the high end pen kit group buy and completely missed this one! The Sierra style pen do seem to be a favorite among the public that ask to have a pen made. Not ready to make the transition from Hobby to "work" on more than a couple times a year scale, but it's nice to have a stack of kits handy at great prices!

65GTMustang

Thank you for the review - I received my kits in the mail yesterday.
I like the idea of securing the transmission....Plus drilling the tip out to accept the easyFLOW is a very good suggestion.
I also like the suggestion of a micrometer - can you recommend a particular type - do you think a regular digital caliper set would be ok or does the other really make a better difference?
Thanks
Kevin

Robert Taylor

this kit also eliminates the problem of people unscrewing the transmission and getting it shoved too far up the cap to reattach. hope this makes sense as that is the main complaint of the sierra/wall street style.

Super Dave

Good review. I received my order today. I made my first pen tonight .Its a nice looking kit, and easy to assemble. All parts fit together nicely.

Thanks to Smitty for putting this order together for us.

Dave

LeeR

also like the suggestion of a micrometer - can you recommend a particular type - do you think a regular digital caliper set would be ok or does the other really make a better difference?
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin,

Using a digital caliper is so much easier than a micrometer. I've got a micrometer and hardly ever use it any more. The other thing I like about a digital caliper is that all of them have metric and inches settings. I use the caliper to convert a paticular measurement back and forth as much as I do to measure things! Especially useful if you need a certain metric bit, you can dial it to "x" mm, and then push the button to read inches. I own a set of machinist bits, and rarely need a metric with all the different letter and number bits available, if a regular Imperial sized bit is not close enough.

Dennis,

Nice review. I never saw the Le Roi offering, and might have passed on it anyway, not realizing these use the finial to advance the refill. Looks like a nice alternative to the standard Sierra and Wall Street kits.

Last edited:

ctubbs

Dennis, thanks for taking the time and effort to put this revue and corrections on line. My order arrived this afternoon and I had not yet built my first one. You are correct in the instructions were packed with the kits.
thanks Smitty for making these pens available to us at this price.
Charles

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Oversight

Nice review. I have yet to make any of these.

BTW, where did you get the instructions?

People who got their kits in the first batch did not get instructions because in my haste to get them mailed I forgot to put them in the package. If anyone needs them email me at lssmith37@comcast.net and I'll either email you a .jpg file that you can print or send them by regular mail.

Top Bottom