Kits in Chrome and gunmetal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

How good are these kits in terms of durability of the finishes, especially the gunmetal? Anyone with experience with these kits?
Any inputs will be appreciated.
Thanks
Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:

stoneman

I tried just two gunmetal. I gave one away and used one at home & work.The finish wore off very quickly (within a couple months mine was scratched and worn in quite a few spots. Black Ti for me from now on.

The chrome I've used has held up well.

Stephen

I tried just two gunmetal. I gave one away and used one at home & work.The finish wore off very quickly (within a couple months mine was scratched and worn in quite a few spots. Black Ti for me from now on.

The chrome I've used has held up well.

Thanks Steve.
Stephen

redfishsc

I use a lot of chrome. Never bothered with gunmetal since I've had such great success with black ti.

The chrome isn't quite as tough as the black ti, but it seems more impervious to hand crud than even rhodium and platinum. I have never had a chrome pen pit, but I've had a dozen plat/rhod and even gold ti pit horridly on me.

rimo

I just recently got my first order of 10 gun metal Sierra's. I found 2 in the package that had "chips" in the finish. I called the supplier and they were happy to send me 2 more, no questions asked. When I was assembling a pen last week, I noticed that there was a chip in the finial on one of the pens I had just made. I did not see it previously when I double checked the entire order after I found the chips on the first couple of pens. The pens were made and given away in the last few weeks so I cant say much for their long term durability.

Willee

No doubt about it ... Chrome is cheap and durable.
If you want a pen that will hold up to every day use go with chrome or TN.
Anything else will wear away.

Gold plated pen kits are inexpensive and they look great when they are new.
However, it is the absolute worst about wearing away quickly.
They will not last if used.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm afraid we are venturing into the unpredictable world of "absolute" statements again.

Plating is just as good as the plater. True 24kt will not last as long as a good alloy (10K), but one plater's "gun metal" is NOT the same as the next plater's. Witness the difference in color alone--some are nearly black, others just "dirty chrome".

As long as you are buying pens from "unnamed sources" in Taiwan or China--but you don't know which, you will get a "mish-mosh" of quality.

The "gun metal" kits we have sold have had NO complaints-----YET!!! Our "black" on the "black gold" is NOT as carefree. Fewer than 1% have had a problem---but I will be noting that on the website, soon. As we "flesh out" our pen kit offerings.

But, as I have always said, "Always avoid universal statements!!"

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
As Ed said, it depends on the plater. Why else would a hi end pen company, be it Mont Blanc or who ever, use a 24k gold finish, as was shown recently in a link in an earlier post here?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I tend to avoid the gun metal because I have had a few incidents of bad plating, while that does not mean it is not good, it was not good from where I puirchased it from. As far as chrome, it is all I use now for the pens for the troops. I use that because I have seen first hand what the pens look like after a couple of months to a year and chrome seems to hold up well and is popular.

Willee

As Ed said, it depends on the plater. Why else would a hi end pen company, be it Mont Blanc or who ever, use a 24k gold finish, as was shown recently in a link in an earlier post here?

Mannie, the 24K plating on a Mont Blanc is about 10 times thicker than what we get on the kits we buy.
The thicker it is plated the longer it will last and the more it will cost.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Mannie, the 24K plating on a Mont Blanc is about 10 times thicker than what we get on the kits we buy.
The thicker it is plated the longer it will last and the more it will cost.

The COST of the gold is negligible (in single digit pennies) for any plating we might use. We had a LOT of gold plating done, when Dawn did glass--each 1 foot square panel cost a couple bucks---mostly labor to hang the piece.

I know we try not to indict any vendors, here and I strongly agree with that policy. BUT, as long as there are "Apprentice" and "Funline" kits available in gun metal (or any other plating), we certainly should NOT EXPECT them to perform like their more expensive (and quality controlled) older brothers.

Both PSI and CSUSA have stated that these pens are built for the "price sensitive" market---sounds much better than "they are cheap--don't EXPECT too much!!!

So, as I have said before----AVOID universal statements: Gun metal is neither WONDERFUL nor HORRIBLE. It will provide the durability that was designed into it---which is a factor you cannot control nor evaluate with the level of knowledge we possess.

How do you get kits that are durable? Buy them from a reputable source that SAYS they will be durable.

If the source SAYS they are for the market "where price is the primary concern", they are TELLING YOU what to expect--NOT durability.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Agree with you Ed. And at least, both CSUAS and PSI where honest enought to warn us about the lower quality of those kits.

They not only warned us, they also "guarantee" them!!! At least CSUSA does--haven't read PSI.

Craft Supply has AMAZING return policy--I'd sure like to know what percentage of these they will "eat".

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Gun Metal

I sell gun metal kits for the 'price sensitive' market...my customers love them and I have had no complaints of premature wear and/or chipping. Nor have I received any complaints of any other finish including 24kt gold showing premature wear.

Willee

The COST of the gold is negligible (in single digit pennies) for any plating we might use. We had a LOT of gold plating done, when Dawn did glass--each 1 foot square panel cost a couple bucks---mostly labor to hang the piece.

If this is true then the cost for a 10K should be the same as a 24K gold plated pen kit.

How thick is the plating on a 24K Mont Blank pen?
Do you know?
I dont but I am willing to say it is at least 10 times thicker than what is on the kits PSI sells.

Anyhow, I use a lot of chrome pen kits cause they are cheap and durable.
If I want gold I use TN.
I want my pens to look as good a year from now as they do when I sell them.
The gold plating we get just wont hold up under use.

arioux

Agree with you Ed. And at least, both CSUAS and PSI where honest enought to warn us about the lower quality of those kits.

They not only warned us, they also "guarantee" them!!! At least CSUSA does--haven't read PSI.

Craft Supply has AMAZING return policy--I'd sure like to know what percentage of these they will "eat".

From PSI site:
Note: Our lifetime warranty does not apply to this line. (must buy in quantities of 5)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I sell gun metal kits for the 'price sensitive' market...my customers love them and I have had no complaints of premature wear and/or chipping. Nor have I received any complaints of any other finish including 24kt gold showing premature wear.

This is one SPECIFIC reason I wanted to try to keep this on "vendor specific" platings.

I BELIEVE Smitty. And he is willing to clarify what you should expect. So, in purchasing from HIM---the "gun metal" should be acceptable.

Russianwolf

From my experiences The best four plating in order are

Rhodium/Platinum
Black Titanium
Gold Titanium
Chrome

Everything else is below those and I don't buy them any longer.

Reece

From my experiences The best four plating in order are

Rhodium/Platinum
Black Titanium
Gold Titanium
Chrome

Everything else is below those and I don't buy them any longer.

Ditto. I avoid 24kt gold at all costs, and don't buy 10kt gold when i don't need to. Just based on past experiences and also customer demand.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd really like to hear the difference between rhodium and chrome.

CSUSA says everything is rhodium--ok
Can anyone tell the difference between this and chrome?
I have never had either plating returned to me---

Any comments?

Russianwolf

Ed, I think there is a slight color difference between the two, but yeah, in terms of durability they are pretty close. Haven't seen many Rhodium plated bumpers to do a long term comparison with. :biggrin:

rjwolfe3

Any comments?

What's the difference between Rhodium and Platinum and Chrome would be a better question. They all look the same to me.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Any comments?

What's the difference between Rhodium and Platinum and Chrome would be a better question. They all look the same to me.

Friendly amendment can be added!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have a shipment coming in this week of Chrome and Platinum pens along with some others and will check them out side by side and see if I can find a difference. I remember someone did a test on platings a while back and had built a jig to keep even pressure on the pen while riding a buffer I believe.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have made well over a thousand pens and have only had one returned due to the plating and that was a flaw that was obvious. I have looked at a few pens that I have made and asked the owner to return it to me for a tuneup because I felt the plating was worn more than it should be. Is there a possibility that a customer is just used to the pen and doesn't mind the plating wearing since they are comfortable with the pen but we see it differently since we are used to seeing them new and pristine?

witz1976

I have all 3 in my shop and I cannot tell a difference. Platinum and Rhodium are in the same metal family and are considered a precious metal. Where as chrome is not. I think it all boils down to marketing and the customer. Some people like to know they have a pen made of platinum, or rhodium which is used in fine jewelry, where as others like the less expensive chrome option. But this is only my theory.

rjwolfe3

I do know that I am not happy with the wear of Gold Titanium. I would have thought that it would last much longer then a year or two or I wouldn't be selling it with a warranty. I may have to rethink my policy on platings period.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Rob,

Think about this for a moment. Your (well my) drill bits are titanium plated. I am not great at sharpening them, so they sometimes get VERY hot, but the titanium is still on each of the 114 pieces that I bought for $40. So for an average of 35 CENTS they could make drill bits that average 3/8"--larger than MOST kits.

So, the plating cost is established as under a buck. NOW, the pen kit manufacturers know you want to HEAR you are getting Titanium. They also know you have no means to test their assertion.

Do you suppose some may LIE?????

I believe this is more likely than the premise that you HAD titanium and someone gave it more wear than my drill bit (especially the 25/64 which has drilled easily a thousand cigar pen blanks).

Don't damn the plating, damn the plater!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Hey Rob,

Think about this for a moment. Your (well my) drill bits are titanium plated. I am not great at sharpening them, so they sometimes get VERY hot, but the titanium is still on each of the 114 pieces that I bought for $40. So for an average of 35 CENTS they could make drill bits that average 3/8"--larger than MOST kits.

So, the plating cost is established as under a buck. NOW, the pen kit manufacturers know you want to HEAR you are getting Titanium. They also know you have no means to test their assertion.

I believe this is more likely than the premise that you HAD titanium and someone gave it more wear than my drill bit (especially the 25/64 which has drilled easily a thousand cigar pen blanks).

Now that really gives you something to think about.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have done a LOT of thinking about this industry, before I became part of it, Neil. Some manufacturers don't enjoy my line of logic.

rjwolfe3

Hey Rob,

I see your point there but now I wonder who to buy platings from that will last. FWIW the kit was a Dayacom kit. I did not turn the pen but received it from my very first PITH. The finish on the wood is in much better shape then the plating on the pen. And they do not make a cheap plating version of that pen so it must be the plater then.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OPINION COMING!!!!!!

Both Craft Supply and Berea have their own manufacturing. CSUSA is also clearly experimenting with new lines (apprentice). Both of these companies have established STERLING reputations, over the years.

For high end pens, stick with the known quantities.

END OPINION!!!!

Sylvanite

The coloration is slightly different. I have a neighbor who makes a living creating custom jewelry. He can tell which is what from just a glance but I have to hold them side-by-side to detect a difference.

Regards,
Eric

rjwolfe3

The coloration is slightly different. I have a neighbor who makes a living creating custom jewelry. He can tell which is what from just a glance but I have to hold them side-by-side to detect a difference.

Regards,
Eric

Ah, but what about wear-ability?

Top Bottom