Full Review Jr Aaron from dayacom/signature pen supply

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

The second revision we see on this kit over the Gent Jr's is this. When you swap out the front end section from rollerball to fountain pen the SPRING in the end cap under classic conditions MUST BE REMOVED, however this kit does *NOT*. The end cap is recesses to allow clearance for the international standard converter cartridges to safely be use with out causing an ink dump. This also does not impair rollerball function (contrary to many beliefs the spring is not needed for proper rollerball operations)

Why is the spring not needed? One of the main differences between a RB and a regular ballpoint is the cushioning of the refill which makes the RB much more comfortable to use.

I wonder if Skoda got Rolls Royce to make their cars if they would still badge them as Skoda's.......

It is common knowledge that the IPG wording is a joke, does this now mean that on these kits there is actually some truth to it?

Will the resellers of these kits now use the fact that a reknown nib manufacturer such as JoWo actually made the nibs and therefore they are now better quality, or will they simply keep quiet because they are still made to the same spec and JoWo will make nibs for anyone and stamp any old crap on them?

Sorry but if it says Poo on the label, why would anyone believe otherwise?

The difference in roller ball vs ball point is this:

Rollerball is water based or gelled ink. The color saturation is higher.
Ball point is oil based ink. Viscosity of the ink is thicker.

At no point does a spring come into play for functionality until you get into kits. If you went to a stationary store and bought an off the shelf rollerball it would likely not have a spring behind the cartridge. The reason that kits have springs is for the fudge factor on the tube length, meaning if you over trimmed the spring would compensate. What makes rollerballs write smoother than ballpoints is less pressure needed, better saturation and more clear marks made. It is not the spring that does this but the science behind the cartridge.

As for the poo comment I would need you to elaborate more on this as I am not sure what you are on about. But on the IPG topic that is also something that you need to elaborate on as I am not sure what you are referencing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

raar25

Ed hope this question is not too dumb I even read you original posting twice to see if I missed it so to show my ignorance who is JoWo and if these are not made in China where are they made? They look awesome and will definately be adding them to my pen plans.

Thanks,
Ray

Alex D

Ed, first off, thanks for the great write up and typically excellent photographs of this new pen . Not only did it make me aware of a new pen that I am really looking forward to trying, but I also found a source for an antique bronze kit as well because of this (browsing around on the site Ed posted to).

On the rollerball spring comment, I don't have a ton to add except that I just checked my Monteverde rollerball and it does have a spring in the finial.

Maybe it's a function of the refill size dictating design? If the lower barrel of all rollerballs were the same length as the refills, not only would it limit design options, but the lower barrel would be pretty short. By adding the spring, it not only allows for some fudge room, but also allows the barrel to be anywhere from a 1/4" to a 1/2" longer depending on the spring length.

Just an observation from the peanut gallery.

Alex

edstreet

Ed, first off, thanks for the great write up and typically excellent photographs of this new pen . Not only did it make me aware of a new pen that I am really looking forward to trying, but I also found a source for an antique bronze kit as well because of this (browsing around on the site Ed posted to).

On the rollerball spring comment, I don't have a ton to add except that I just checked my Monteverde rollerball and it does have a spring in the finial.

Maybe it's a function of the refill size dictating design? If the lower barrel of all rollerballs were the same length as the refills, not only would it limit design options, but the lower barrel would be pretty short. By adding the spring, it not only allows for some fudge room, but also allows the barrel to be anywhere from a 1/4" to a 1/2" longer depending on the spring length.

Just an observation from the peanut gallery.

Alex

The spring is useful in many regards and in the classic Gent Jr kits had to be removed when converting to a fountain pen as the spring would catch on the converter and cause an ink dump of approximately half the ink by simply screwing the tips in place.

The new design pushes the spring back to not interfere with the cartridge.

Ed hope this question is not too dumb I even read you original posting twice to see if I missed it so to show my ignorance who is JoWo and if these are not made in China where are they made? They look awesome and will definately be adding them to my pen plans.

Thanks,
Ray

This is what we know about Jowo.

Phone Number: (30) 930-9945
Fax Number: (30) 930-9948

Company Website
JoWo Berliner Schreibfedern GmbH

Estimated Number Of Employees

Estimated Yearly Revenue
$2,449,000

Located at: WOLFENER STR. 36, Berlin, Germany

From Richard Binder's site
(JoWo Berliner Schreibfeder GmbH; pronounced YO-vo) A nib manufacturer located in Berlin, Germany; founded in 1852 as Heintze & Blanckertz to produce linoleum cutters (for linoleum block printing) and steel pens (dip nibs). The company was the first German manufacturer of steel nibs, and beginning in about 1913 had its own rolling mill. Partially destroyed by the bombing of Berlin during World War II, the factory was rebuilt and the company nationalized as VEB Berliner Schreibfeder in 1949. In 1953, VEB began producing butterfly nibs for fountain pens, and in 1955, tipped nibs. In 1994 the company went bankrupt but was reconstituted by two long-time employees, Joachim Hildebrand and Wolfgang Lemme, using the first two letters of each man's name to form the company name. Today JoWo produces both steel and gold nibs of high quality. Many JoWo steel nibs are marked IRIDIUM POINT GERMANY; but this mark has been tainted by being used in a deceptive fashion on Chinese copies, and it is less used on authentic German nibs than it once was.

As for the pen kit they list 'Taiwan' however that means a certain % must be made in Taiwan to be certified. As with the nibs some parts may be out sourced.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The new design pushes the spring back to not interfere with the cartridge.

Thanks,
Ray

This is what we know about Jowo.

Phone Number: (30) 930-9945
Fax Number: (30) 930-9948

Company Website
JoWo Berliner Schreibfedern GmbH

Estimated Number Of Employees

Estimated Yearly Revenue
$2,449,000

Located at: WOLFENER STR. 36, Berlin, Germany

Then in entry number 29, you wrote this:
All dayacom nibs are jowo manufactured.

This comes from dayacom directly and the president of jowo,

How did you get this information directly from the president of jowo, when his name is not in the "what we know about Jowo"?

And who at Dayacom was the source of this information?

This is indeed a sweeping statement and VERY interesting, if true.

edstreet

Then in entry number 29, you wrote this:
All dayacom nibs are jowo manufactured.

This comes from dayacom directly and the president of jowo,

How did you get this information directly from the president of jowo, when his name is not in the "what we know about Jowo"?

And who at Dayacom was the source of this information?

This is indeed a sweeping statement and VERY interesting, if true.

This is the reply

attachment.php

Had to do it as a photo attachment, kept giving me some forum errors

However, you have known this very info for over 1 year now.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 402
Top Bottom