General Complaint about pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CabinetMaker

I just finished a couple of wedding pens (pics will be posted on my other thread shortly) and I was a bit disappointed with them. I had ordered some Rhino Plastic blanks (which turned very nicely) but, as with all synthetic materials, the thinner they get, the more translucent they become.

As I was assembling the kit I started to wonder why pen kit manufacturers don't design the kits to allow for a greater thickness of material on the tubes? It wouldn't be that difficult.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

For this reason, we all paint our tubes when we do acrylic. But, I do agree with you, they don't need to use such large tubes, but some designs it is necessary.

CabinetMaker

Here are a couple of pictures of a Majestic and and Majestic Junior I recently completed.

One of the issues is the color of the plastic. I searched long and hard for the right colored blanks. Once they were turned down the color of the original blank was lost. Instead of a deep purple amethyst I ended up with a pale lavender. Which brings up the issue of what color do you paint a tube to maintain the colors of the original blank? I think that if more material was left on the tubes it would help maintain the colors of the "plastic" blanks selected for the project.

Th

Attachments

• DSC_3287.jpg
    DSC_3287.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC_3286.jpg
    DSC_3286.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 448

Lenny

CREID

Here are a couple of pictures of a Majestic and and Majestic Junior I recently completed.

One of the issues is the color of the plastic. I searched long and hard for the right colored blanks. Once they were turned down the color of the original blank was lost. Instead of a deep purple amethyst I ended up with a pale lavender. Which brings up the issue of what color do you paint a tube to maintain the colors of the original blank? I think that if more material was left on the tubes it would help maintain the colors of the "plastic" blanks selected for the project.

Th

I can definitely see the tubes under the blank here, I don't think white or black would work on this color blank. My suggestion would be to paint the tube something very close to the color of the blank.

I agree with you about how little of the blank is left after turning. One reason may be for weight, even though most people I have given pens too like the feel of a heavier pen. Another reason, although most commercially available blanks are 5/8 or larger, some people cutting their own blanks may want to use less wood, hence less diameter after turning.
My thoughts anyway.
So for you penmaking kit making companies out there. Allow us thicker bushings.
Curt

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Is this a complaint about the pen kits or is this a review on Rhinoplastic? I'm a little confused, the pen kit would look fine with either wood or another type of acrylic blank on it so I am thinking the kit is okay. If you are really looking for a thicker walled pen, there is a lot of information on this forum about kitless pens and they can be made as thick as you would like. The kits are made thin walled because back in the day when people were actually writing all the time, a heavy pen would cause cramps in some folks hands(some, not all) and the majority of people wanted a lighter pen.

Top Bottom