Mini Review Craft Supply Artisan Fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I would like to share my thoughts with assembling a particular pen kit.

The kit is the Artisan fountain pen kit #050-4407 or #050-4408 and is sold by Craft Supply (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/) at the time of this post is currently selling between $8.50 and $10 depending on plating.

While this kit is not meant to be a high end kit, I find it is an easy to assemble kit with straightforward instructions and nice fitting parts with decent plating. Having personally used two in my desktop fountain pen rotation for over a year and having assembled a few dozen kits I would share the following:

What is unusual about this pen is that it is a "snap cap" meaning the lower body does not thread into the upper cap, instead the nib section snaps into a plastic liner inside the cap. Pens have been made using snap caps for many years, being proven to be a dependable method of capping a pen and learning this method opens doors to some interesting customized designs but I digress.

Turning the upper and lower blanks is no different than turning blanks from dozens of other kits. One difference is the way the clip is attached to the finial. The blank must be notched to allow it to fit around the top of the clip. In my opinion this gives the "hidden clip" look to the pen, a feature many find desirable in more upscale and customized "closed end" pens. Learning to notch a blank for a clip is good practice and a skill worthy of adding to ones skill set.

If there is a trick to the assembly of this kit it would be seating and adjusting the inner cap especially if it is the first time one tries it so I came up with an easier solution. Looking at the photo below you can see that by threading the plastic cap onto it's post before glueing and turning the blank then sitting the tube next to it, you can easily see how far to thread the cap on. This is an easy way of setting the cap just right so when the blank is turned and notched, it can be pressed together for a nice snug fit.

This is a thin pen compared to many kits, measuring approximately:
.535" diameter (depending on how fat you turn your blanks :))
5.6" long when capped
6.4" long posted
5" long non-posted

At a mere 35 grams with an acrylic body and rubber ink refill installed, it is a light pen for those who don't like a pen to equal the weight of a steel rebar rod.

My opinion of the kit:

Pros: The kit is cheap ($6.35 in a group buy) considering the cost of a nib and section alone is almost $5. It can be fitted with a replacement "upgraded" nib if desired. It is relatively quick and easy to assemble. Looks streamlined and without a bulky center coupler on the cap looks nice and balanced when posted. Both upper and lower tubes are the same length and upper and lower couplers the same diameter so you won't forget which is which. "Rolled over" coupler sections so if one is "a little off" it is very forgiving and won't be noticed as easily if the couplers had flat squared off edges.

Cons: While the pen can easily accommodate a standard ink converter, one is not supplied with the kit, but due to the price I can understand. The plating is adequate but the clip is a bit out dated and plain looking to me. The lower finial could be a bit shorter and still accommodate a converter, the added weight at that end of the pen isn't that desirable.

Summary:
I find this inexpensive kit just the ticket for those folks wanting to "try out" a fountain pen without spending a fortune. This is an easy pen to give as a gift to someone who might just want to return a few weeks later and order a nicer pen from me. :wink:

Below you can see how I nistall the inner cap before glueing and turning the tubes.

Attachments

• snap cap.jpg
    snap cap.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 942
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Thanks for the review. I picked up a bunch of these kits a while back at a store closure sale, but never got around to doing anything with them. I'll try to get to them during this next 'off-season'.

Chris88

Hi George I have one of these kits. I had to stop at the top what did you use to cut that notch in the cap?

Texatdurango

Hi George I have one of these kits. I had to stop at the top what did you use to cut that notch in the cap?
My first ones I just used some small "jewelers" files but a few months ago I found a neat little set of diamond files that are VERY sharp and take stock off in no time at all! I found them among other tools at Tryphon Pen Care Products; http://www.tryphon.it/catalogo.htm, scroll to the bottom then up about a dozen items to see them. http://www.tryphon.it/filesm.jpg

Rifleman1776

I agree with your characterization that this is a "cheap" kit.
The unfinished end is ugly and often doesn't fit well.
The instructions are anything but straightforward. They tell you to cut a notch but not why. That is left to figure out when assembling for the first time.
I posted a review elsewhere. The kit is junk, IMHO.

Splinter

George, thanks for your review. I bought both the pen and fountain pen kits about a year ago. I tuned one pen and really had a time trying to get the plastic piece seated. I got disgusted and never made any more. But have been thinking I will try again one day. Maybe your review will help.
Thanks again.

Or I will make you a deal on the kits I have remaining.

Last edited:

monophoto

Having assembled two Artisans (one FP and one RB), let me add my thoughts:

- overall design is not exciting. In particular, I'm not real happy about the nearly 1" long metal extension of the body.

- I was surprised to see that it was necessary to cut a notch for the clip, but having read the Christensen/Burningham book, I knew how to do it: use a Dremel tool with a 1/8" grinding wheel. Very easy, very fast and quite controllable.

- installing the plastic insert to complete the snap assembly was a PITA the first time around. I learned two lessons:
1. The plastic insert isn't threaded, and using a self-tapping screw to cut threads with the insert outside the cap is a lot easier than trying to force the insert to thread itself on the stud in the cap. Use needle-nose pliers to hold the insert, and use a stubby screwdriver on the self-tapping screw to maximize control If the threads are pre-cut, the insert easily screws onto the stud in the cap.
2. Craft Supplies sells a specialized tool to install this plastic insert (of course). The instructions suggest using a No 1 Phillios screwdrive. A better suggestion is to use a Torx screwdriver.

Top Bottom