Comparing Berea Cambridge and Timberbits Hybrid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spats139

Put one of the Timberbits kits together last night, using a blank I got from Jthompson1995 in last years Super Bowl Pool - thanks Jason. Unfortunately, it was the first wood/acrylic blank I'd done, and I didn't think that I would need to paint the blank - wrong! - but that's a story for another day.

Comparing the kits. A Timberbits Gold Ti / Rhodium RB and the Berea Ti Gold / Sterling RB. This will be a little bit of "apples and oranges" since the kits aren't identical platings, but some of the differences are worth noting.

The Timberbits kit "felt" like its components were more solid. That started from the fact that they were packaged in a larger, heavier bag. (I know, nothing to do with what's inside; but that was my impression.) As it turns out, the Timberbits components are actually heavier; totaling 57gm vs the Berea's 49gm.

The Berea bag seems to contain many more parts (there is one) but the difference is that some of the Timberbits pieces are already assembled.

Finial, clip, clip ring, and clip bushing are separate pieces in the Berea kit, and it is a one piece assembly in the Timberbits. Also, I noted that the clip bushing wall thickness in the Timberbits kit is thicker - .039" vs .035". The entire assembly is also heavier than the Berea - 19gm vs 15gm.

Center bands are similar; again the Timberbits is heavier - 4gm vs 3gm.

Receiver, receiver holder, and spring were pre-assembled in the Timberbits bag; and were heavier - 15gm vs 13 gm. The Timberbits receiver and holder appear to be one piece, and the spring was already in place.

Nib components for both kits weighed in the same at 11gm. My Berea kit came with a second nib holder; I think it was as a result of some complaints about the black one.

Another difference between the kits is in the tubes. The wall thickness of the Timberbits tubes is about 2 thousandths more than the Berea. This results in the tubes weighing an extra gram as well. The other impact of that difference is that my barrel trimmer for the Cambridge cap would not fit into the Timberbits cap tube. However, the trimmer for the barrel tube did fit in both kits. I didn't actually try this, but I'm going to assume that my Berea bushings wouldn't fit the Timberbits cap tube.

So here's the pen put together. Like I said, I wish that I had properly prepared the blank, but that will be the subject of another thread. Also, I agree that the black band has got to go.

Anyway, that's my comparison. Nothing scientific; just my thoughts. Overall I really like the looks and weight of the Timberbits kit, and at the price they were offered at, they have my vote as best value; I'll have to see if the other 5 blanks I'm preparing will do these kits more justice.

At the same time, there's nothing wrong with the Berea kit either. I do think that both kits are fun to make, and depending on what blank you use, either one may be a better choice than the other for any given pen.

Hope you found this interesting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
A very well done and honest comparison. Although I prefer the Timberbits version, I think the first one to get rid of that black band will be the most popular.

Spats139

Very interesting, thanks mate. That should come in handy

I'm interested to see a comparison between both hybrids too.

Agreed, that would have been more of an "apples and apples" comparison, but I just went with what I had on hand. I still found some of the differences between the base Cambridge (if I can call it that), and the Timberbits Hybrid to be surprising.

If anyone else has a Berea Cambridge Hybrid, and wants to take the measurements and post them here that would be great.

OKLAHOMAN

Dale, very well done, but am I wrong to assume that if you weighed the parts from the Berea Cambridge Hybrid vs the Timberbits hybrid that they might be about the same also thickness? Just something to think on.
Sorry when I started this I had to ans. the phone and didn't see Reese's post...

Last edited:

Spats139

Dale, very well done, but am I wrong to assume that if you weighed the parts from the Berea Cambridge Hybrid vs the Timberbits hybrid that they might be about the same also thickness? Just something to think on.

Agreed, that's why I referred to it as an "apples and oranges" comparison. That still leaves the question as to why the Timberbits cap tube lost inside diameter (ID) with the extra tube thickness, and yet the barrel tube didn't. If both Berea kits use the same bushings, they wouldn't have that difference in ID.

Last edited:

MartinPens

apples and oranges

I think if comparisons are going to be made - the two hybrid kits would be more worth the time and comparison - as already mentioned.

The plastic nib holder is something I will not use again. And the rat has really put forth the real challenge - get rid of the plastic black band and you have a big winner.

Thanks for mentioning Timberbits. Will have to see what the price comparison on Hybrids kits are. Berea ships a flat $4 shipping. How about Timberbits?

Thanks for the apples and oranges. Looking forward to an apples to apples.

Martin

SteveG

I have great difficulty understanding WHY would one outfit go about copying another's kit and not take that opportunity to get rid of the obvious flaw...THE EVIL BLACK BAND!?!

MartinPens

Timberbits shipping Q

Well the price comparison is better at Timberbits, but can you tell me what shipping is to the U.S.? I may just have to order some from Timberbits so I can do a Hybrid to Hybrid comparison. I'm always looking for the best price break.
Martin

arioux

I always thought the black band would give you a metal to plastic thread match in place of a metal to metal thread match.

From Timberbits site in the Cambridge description.

The only plastic bit used in this kits is for the female thread in the cap. It is necessary to use the nylon thread because it helps the lid secure the pen in place. A metal on metal thread will result in the plating wearing away very quickly.

Russianwolf

I always thought the black band would give you a metal to plastic thread match in place of a metal to metal thread match.

From Timberbits site in the Cambridge description.

The only plastic bit used in this kits is for the female thread in the cap. It is necessary to use the nylon thread because it helps the lid secure the pen in place. A metal on metal thread will result in the plating wearing away very quickly.

true, but the plastic can be hidden as it is on the Jr.s, that I think is what everyone would like. the black plastic on the hybrids just stands out like a sore thumb.

jttheclockman

I like the comparison because I asked about this a few days ago. I have since ordered some myself. Am I safe to assume in all your photos you kept the Timberbit kit and parts to the left of the photo:confused: If I do get a chance and no one beats me to it I will try to measure both hybrids because that is what I use. But could be awhile before I do anything. Have another storm coming tonight and I can't use my right arm.

Right now I am suffering from accute Calcific Tendonitis of my right shoulder. I have not slept in 3 days and even percoset is not doing the trick. Being in construction is the cause again as I have had this before. Very Painful. Typing with one hand. :eek:

Top Bottom