Full Review Bolt Action and Magnum Bolt Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

This is a review for the bolt action pens that Penn State Industries (PSI) sells. I've seen a few posts asking about the quality of this kit from PSI (from here on, except when noted, I am referring to both the normal and magnum bolt action). I've turned a few of them now and believe I've got a pretty decent feel for them. In an effort to make sure I've covered all my bases here is my review:

1. 30 Caliber Bolt Action Bullet Cartridge Pen Kit from PSI

2. There are 4 finishes for the full-size and magnum, here is the cost breakdown:
Normal Size:
a. Chrome and Gun Metal are $12.95 ea.
b. Black Enamel is $13.95
c. 24k Gold is $14.95
d. Starter kit (has Chrome, Gun Metal, and 24k Gold) is $42.75

Magnum Size:
a. Chrome and Gun Metal are $15.95 ea.
b. Black Enamel is $16.95
c. 24k Gold is $17.95
d. Starter kit (has Chrome, Gun Metal, and 24k Gold) is $53.75

3. PSI website description: This completely original and irresistibly fun Bolt Action pen will be hard for any hunting or target-shooting enthusiast to put down. Every detail, from the one of a kind bolt action mechanism to the precision engineered components, was carefully designed to ensure uniqueness and reliability. The realistic bolt-action handle smoothly advances and retracts to securely lock the refill in place. Includes a bolt action rifle clip and a replica 30 caliber cartridge and rose gold bullet tip for added authenticity. That description pretty well captures the pen itself. If I were to use my own words I would say it's a unique pen with a bolt action click mechanism. The front of the pen resembles the front end of a .30 caliber bullet and the back of the pen resembles the rear end of a .30 caliber cartridge.

4. The assembly instructions are straightforward and easy to follow. Assembly was simple with no complications. You will need a 3/8" drill and either a set of bushings or a micrometer with the pen kit instructions near by. I used a pen press, which I believe made it easier due to the length of the fully assembled pen. You can change the position of the bolt. To do so you use a Phillips head screw driver to loosen a retaining screw inside the back-end. They say this is for converting the bolt from a right-handed user to a left-handed user. This really seems to convert the bolt from what shooters have called a backwards-functioning bolt to a normal functioning bolt. Of note (it does actually have a note on this in the instructions) it is important to double check that retaining screw for tightness, otherwise the bolt can become loose and spin around freely. It is possible to tighten after assembly but a long skinny Phillips head is required then.

5. Photographs attached

6. The fit and finish of the kit are good. Of the many kits I have purchased and put together there have been no defects or blemishes. The kit calls for a minimum blank size of 5/8 by 2 ¼ inches the brass tube itself is 1 31/32 inches. There is a slight difference in the regular and magnum kits. The regular has the front end pressed into the kit while the magnum has a threaded ring pressed into the kit. This makes it so the regular gets an ink refill by unscrewing the bullet itself and the magnum unscrews the front cartridge.

7. This pen kit is great. I serve in the Marine Corps and am around a lot of individuals that are really into guns. I have yet to find a Marine (or sister service member) that doesn't like these kits. Even among civilians it is very popular. I find myself having to put the pen down at meetings quite often just because I keep working the bolt! This pen is a good value for its price and really exceeded my expectations.

8. I will keep buying and selling (well those ones I don't keep for myself) these pens. Depending on the material and finish I sell these pens anywhere from $50 - $100 (more once I get half as good as the segmenters and custom blank makers here!).

Attachments

• Bolt Action Kit.jpeg
    Bolt Action Kit.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Assembled Bolt Action.jpeg
    Assembled Bolt Action.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 602
I have just completed 250 bolt action pens for a show. I purchased them from Rizheng and not a single one failed.
Interesting, all the bolt actions were mounted upsidedown

Top Bottom