Full Review Berea .45 Caliber Pen Kit - FAIL!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Signguy

If you are the kind of person who just wants to get to the conclusion, here it is:

Don't waste your money.

If you like to know the reasons why, please read on:

1) This may well be the ugliest kit ever made. It is a mish-mash of shapes with illogical faux engraving and looks extremely cheap when finished.

2) Berea has tried to invent a unique slide mechanism, but it is rough operating, not at all intuitive to use, very cheap feeling, length critical and limited to working only with a plain straight turned barrel.

3) The clip is made of such inexpensive material that even when it is installed in the slot designed into the cap which is meant to hold it straight it does not stay straight and it continues to bend sideways with the slightest pressure.

4) The actual turned portion of the pen (barrel) is minuscule and must be made as a plain, straight section so no room at all for any creativity. So your pens will look exactly like any other ones made/sold. It might as well be mass-produced already finished. (And if it was, it would probably be sold at Walmart for about $1.99.)

5) It feels awkward in the hand. The finished pen is not well balanced or solid feeling.

6) It has a very poorly designed trim ring with almost no mating surface and which will be constantly rubbing when the slide mechanism is used. Thus, even with Loctite on it, I doubt it's going to stay in place for long.

Sorry to say it is just not the quality we usually see from Berea, nor is it a kit that I believe it is likely you could ever sell a finished pen from for anywhere near what the materials and labor would be.

For the first time ever, I will probably send the kits I bought back for a refund - I just can't see even wanting to give these pens away with my name on it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Full Review Berea .45 Caliber Pen Kit - FAIL!

Thank you, that is a confirmation to my first thoughts when I first saw that ugly "thing".

I've got two kits sitting waiting to be assembled. I think I'll just try one and maybe send one back if my thoughts are the same. Just from looking at the lack of quality, and the overall feel, it is a loser!

PostalBob

45 Caliber pen

Got caught up in the hype and decided to buy some kits. Tried to assemble my first last night and I was very disappointed. I had some high some hope it would turn out nice. Well it did not. Clips moves all over, was very hard to press in. At the end the function to expose the tip took more then 4 turns to expose the tip. Think I will send back the remainder of my order

magpens

Berea's 45 Caliber Pen Kit - Which gun model is the kit based on?

I agree with the tone of this thread. This kit and the completed pen is a very poor representative of Berea design and engineering compared to the other, mostly excellent, products from Berea.

Partly from an academic point of view I am interested to know which model of the 45 caliber gun the pen kit design is based on.

The product details on the Berea website state: "The clip simulates a 45-auto slide and the upper barrel replicates a 45 caliber grip. This is a cap click pen which authentically replicates the 45 caliber slide action."

I have inspected many hundreds of pictures on the internet trying to determine which auto slide mechanism the pen clip simulates. So far I can't find a reasonable match.

Is there any gun enthusiast out there who can tell me which model of 45 caliber gun the kit pen clip is meant to resemble? Please post a URL to an internet picture if possible.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It looks like the top slide on a perspective angle, not side on. Like its pointed slightly down and away from you, I see the hammer in the back, looks like its supposed to be 3 dot rear sights, the grooves on the slide for gripping a safety in the wrong place, the chamber opening, more grip grooves and a big honker of a front sight. sort of.

butchf18a

Couldn't disagree more. I've made them, sold them and wrote a review as well. Sorry you don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

magpens

Butch's review of the Berea 45 Caliber bullet pen

I would like to read Butch's review. I can't seem to find it.

Butch, or anyone, please give me a URL to it. Thanks.

Magicbob

I'm with you on this one.
I made 4 of them and they sold to the first person I showed it to.
not my favorite kit, but it's not THAT bad.
The thing you need to remember is it is a novelty pen not a daily carry pen.

BTW there is room at the bottom of the turning to get creative

magpens

Design Basis for Berea 45 Caliber Pen Kit Clip

My main point is to try to find a picture of the 45 caliber gun model used as the basis for the clip design.

Is there any gun aficionado or aficionada who can help with this ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom