Welcome to the North Texas Chapter Sub-forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Lou, Thanks for getting this folder created.

OK North Texans, here is our own little forum where we can discuss things in this thread or start another thread just like anywhere else on the IAP forum.

As of yesterday, nine individuals expressed an interest in forming this group so I guess the next step is for some open discussion. I would like to toss out some ideas for discussion and hope ya'll will chime in with others.

Things needing discussed:

1. Meetings - How frequent - once a month, quarterly, bi-annually, yearly?

2. Meeting locations - I can always have a meeting at my shop in Azle, John has said the same for his shop in Arlington, any other ideas or anyone volunteer to host a meeting?

3. Things to do at meetings - Probably the first will be just everyone getting to know everyone and probably some lathe action or demos like CA finish, segmenting, kitless threading, etc.

So, what do you think, should we try to have a get together in November? If so, what weekend would work best?

Our forum is ready and the floor is open.........:)

pentex

George, I would like to join this group. Not for sure how many meetings I will get to make, but will sure try to be at most of them. I think quarterly would work best, but monthly is ok too. Thanks for doing this.

byounghusband

George,
Glad to see this group get together. I would say quarterly meetings to start would be good. I think the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in November would be best for me for a meeting. What does everyone else think?

Texatdurango

Bob,
I'm all for our first meeting next month as well and am open any weekend so let's see what everyone else thinks.

The group,
If you would like to have our first meeting in November please post with your preferred and second choice date.

The dates would be Nov 8, Nov 15, Nov 22, or Nov 29.

I can handle a small group, probably 5 or 6 people in my shop in Azle but John Driscoll has a larger shop and said we could have our meeting there, which would be in Arlington, right off I-30.

Personally, my preferred choice would be Nov 15 with a second choice of Nov 22.

George

Texatdurango

My first choice would be Nov.22nd and second choice would be Nov.15th.
Gotcha down, I put your dates into my super duty, number crunching spreadsheet!

Gee, wonder why we haven't heard from the others yet, maybe because they are still worker bees that can't play all day like some! :eek::biggrin:

pentex

George, that's what I like about being retired. The first thing when I get up in the morning is decide if I am going to play golf, go fishing, turn pens, or do nothing. Lately, it has been do nothing.

MarkHix

Any date is good. I can't make the fifteenth but don't let that effect the choice. I finally decided to try a small show to see if I liked it. Of course, meeting you guys would be better but I am commited now.

rlofton

George,

Can you put into your super duty, number crunching spreadsheet that I am available any weekend but the 15th?

Thanks!

rlofton

Did everyone see this post by Lou? Sounds like a great deal to me.

icon1.gif
What's the big deal?
Here We Go!

As members of the new Local Chapters, you are probably wondering "What's the big deal?"

As if by magic, we now have the first BIG DEAL for local chapters.

Ken Nelsen of Kallenshaan Woods has come up with a wonderful offer to encourage participation in local events. At your next local chapter meeting, Ken will donate one of his 12 new kits per member who is attending, up to a maximum of 12 kits per chapter! Not only that, but Ken will do this once per chapter every six months!

So not only do you get to meet with fellow pen turners, but you are also almost assured (unless more than 12 members attend) of taking home a free kit from Kallenshaan Woods (www.kallenshaanwoods.com).

To take advantage of this offer, simply email Ken with the expected attendance. He will send the kits out to the organizer for distribution at the meeting.

Thanks, Ken, for getting us off to a great start!

td

Banned
I can come on both 15th or 22nd of November so crunch me into that spreadsheet! Just tell me where 'n I'll be there!

its_virgil

I'm in.

Any date is fine with me.

I think we should meet at least quarterly on a day that is not a meeting day for bubbasville.

I can host a meeting and have access to a shop that is large enough for whatever size group we have. I know Wichita Falls is a long way from the metroplex but the offer still stands. It won't hurt my feelings if we never meet up here.

I'm willing to do a demo if needed.

I'm willing to do anything that is needed to be done. I think these kind of meetings are not only fun but very helpful to all of us in our penturning/penmaking.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Texatdurango

Well, doing some quick cyphering, it looks like we have a date that is agreeable to eight out of nine members and we might just persuade Bob to sneak out for a few hours and join us so we will have everyone!

Mark your calendars.......Saturday, November 22 will be the first meeting date of the North Texas Chapter!

More details to follow. One day next week I'll contact Ken with the head count for his pen kit offer and we can start talking about what we'd like to accomplish the first meeting. For sure we have some talent that can share their skills with the others.

If there is anything you would like to see demonstrated or if you have a skill you think the group would like to see demonstrated, step up and let us know.

I just received my Beall pen wizard today and have been playing with it all evening. This thing is more fun than is allowed on a weekday by Texas law! Perhaps as a starter I can show some of it's capabilities.

SherryD

Count me in as well. I am looking forward to seeing what starts coming off the new milling machine. He who dies with the most toys WINS. George, you are in the running :)

byounghusband

I will do my best to get out for the meeting.... the earlier the meeting starts, the better chance I have of making it.... Then I will have work like a dog :eek:, but that's ok.. and do we get to choose which Kallenshaan kit we get??:biggrin:

rlofton

I'll be there--wherever there is. I would like to see George's new Beall toy, I mean tool. I'd also like to see an expert on the CA finish. Basically anything is fine with me. Looking forward to the first meeting.

rlofton

George,

Is there a high res version of the North Texas groups logo?

Thanks!

Off to the races at TMS. Would much rather stay in the shop but still have to keep customers happy.

evanslmtd

I'd like to join this group. Just let me know when and where y'all are getting together and I'll do my best to be there.
Barry
Granbury, TX

evanslmtd

Harold
Thanks for the welcome.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've been bouncing in and out of town for the last few weeks.

Texatdurango

Harold
Thanks for the welcome.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've been bouncing in and out of town for the last few weeks.
Good grief.......... just what we need, another retiree! :eek:

Barry, welcome to the group. You are automatically given the rank of president/backup president and recording secretary, the same as the rest of us! :biggrin:

I maintain an email distribution list so when we are planning our next get together, I send out a reminder email to all members as well as open a new thread here so if you don't mind, please send me an email so I will have your email address.

I would suggest subscribing to this forum so you will see when there is some activity.

Looking forward to meeting you at our January meeting, which will probably be at my shop in Azle unless someone chimes in with a better location.

By the way, just kidding about the retiree remark, most of us are retired, myself included. We have a few kids running around but you'll see more gray hair than not at our meetings.
George

evanslmtd

George
Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to try my best to make the gathering in January. However, I've got a trip to Houston that I can't cancel on the 13th of the month. I'm thinking that I'll be gone a week to ten days.
Barry

Top Bottom