sharpening lathe tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DavidDFW

Ive decided I dont know how to sharpen my tools, both for a lathe and chisels and am looking into getting some sort of sharpening system going. I just bought my chisels, so havent been doing anyting with those, and have been sharpening my lathe tools with sandpaper - its pretty clear to me its not nearly as sharp as it should be.

Is anyone here willing to show/share with me what they do to sharpen their lathe tools? Id love some sort of demonstration if so. Alternatively, if you guys know a good video resource that might help, Id appreciate being pointed in that direction as well.

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JackTheSquid

I use the Oneway Wolverine setup with an 8" grinder. I can put it right next to my lathe and sharpen my tools on the spot. If you go to the Oneway website (just google Oneway Lathe) they have video demos on all of their sharpening equipment. Cheap, easy, effective.

JimB

I think the Sorby tool site also has some sharpening videos. I have also just googled the subject in the past and found some on sharpening without any jigs but I don't remember the site.

Texatdurango

David,

I just read your post. I haven't logged on much the past month since we're on the road a lot but I'll be back home in a few weeks.

I am by no means an expert at sharpening but would be more than happy to show you what I do know if you care to visit. I live in Azle, just northwest of Ft. Worth and my shop is always open to visitors. I'm retired so everyday is a saturday to me so just choose a day!

If interested in dropping by, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a map.

You may not leave overly enlightened but I doubt you will be any worse off than you are now!:)

Ive decided I dont know how to sharpen my tools, both for a lathe and chisels and am looking into getting some sort of sharpening system going. I just bought my chisels, so havent been doing anyting with those, and have been sharpening my lathe tools with sandpaper - its pretty clear to me its not nearly as sharp as it should be.

Is anyone here willing to show/share with me what they do to sharpen their lathe tools? Id love some sort of demonstration if so. Alternatively, if you guys know a good video resource that might help, Id appreciate being pointed in that direction as well.

Thanks in advance

GregHight

I have ruined more tools than I have sharpened correctly. I hate it. I just ordered some stuff from this guy:

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Check it out. I think this will make it go faster and be easier and wont have to sharpen anymore.

I used one of these last week and I was VERY impressed with it. It is definately going to be my next tool purchase. I got to use it at WoodWorld in Richardson, TX and they are about $100. I think the cutting tip is Tungsten Carbide?

Texatdurango

I used one of these last week and I was VERY impressed with it. It is definately going to be my next tool purchase. I got to use it at WoodWorld in Richardson, TX and they are about $100. I think the cutting tip is Tungsten Carbide?
Hi Greg,
I see you are part time from Wylie. If you're in the area on the 15th, we're getting together for a penturning get together in Pilot Point. If interested check out the discussion over in the North Texas forum.... http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49522

I'd like to discuss the carbide tipped tool with you to see why you like it so much as I also have one and think it's the worst thing possible to use on pen blanks. I like it for roughing out bowls or tossing on a log and turning it into a cylinder but that's about it.

George

byounghusband

Greg,
I also used that tool at the FP Turn-a-Thon. It does take some getting used to. I blew up a blank on a last pass....:redface:

If you like this tool. then you should chck this post and the website

Woodchuck Tool

It appears to be the same type of tool and about 1/2 the price. :biggrin::biggrin:

DavidDFW,
If you can make it ot the NTEX IAP Get ToGether (GTG), I will be doing a sharpening demoa nd I have some video as well, (If I can find it....:confused: ) Hopefully Brez (Mike) and Texatdurango (George) will add to this demo.

If you can't, I live in Sachse and I assume you live somewhere around here based on your screen name. Drop on by sometime.

GregHight

Thanks for the tip! They are not ALL PURPOSE but they are definately nice to have. I can get a super smooth finish with these that requires little sanding. I want to try it on alligator bone but I suspect it won't work very well though.

Greg,
I also used that tool at the FP Turn-a-Thon. It does take some getting used to. I blew up a blank on a last pass....:redface:

If you like this tool. then you should chck this post and the website

Woodchuck Tool

It appears to be the same type of tool and about 1/2 the price. :biggrin::biggrin:

DavidDFW,
If you can make it ot the NTEX IAP Get ToGether (GTG), I will be doing a sharpening demoa nd I have some video as well, (If I can find it....:confused: ) Hopefully Brez (Mike) and Texatdurango (George) will add to this demo.

If you can't, I live in Sachse and I assume you live somewhere around here based on your screen name. Drop on by sometime.

Top Bottom