November GTG?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

A FEW THINGS....

I spoke with Sherry today and Terry and Angela can't make it saturday but Sherry will be there.

Apple Fritters are my donut of choice

Several members make pen related things such as Don and his snakeskin blanks and Sherry and her stabilized and dyed blanks. If you have something you wish to sell, by all means bring it along! There will be NO pressure to buy anything but it's a great opportunity to pick up some goodies without paypal fees and postage.

In past get togethers we had fun with everyone swapping blanks and a few folks brought door prizes that we drew for so plan on bring some goodies.

its_virgil

Yes Mr. Don, sir.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Would you like me to bring some to just display and look at or do you want me to bring some to sell? If to sell, what pen would you like? I'll see if I can get some sierras and cigars made and maybe a baron set or two. Let me know.
Looking forward to next saturday.
Don

Uh, Mr. Don, Sir, can you bring some of the snake skin blanks with you...please...?

its_virgil

I only have prairie rattlesnake. If I do a casting demo and you see how easy it is then you may want to make your own. But, I'll try to get a few of these two made. Looking forward to the meeting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sierra and cigars are two that I turn mostly. What species snakes do you have?
I'd be willing to buy them from you...

Texatdurango

I'll get some maps out this weekend to anyone who needs them, so far Papabear is the only one who has asked. Anyone else, if so I need an email address so I can attach the image to an email.

Mac

I don't know if it's good or bad that George remembered that I drove down from the Natural State.
I just wish I could make it ,this time ,but have a show that weekend.
Everytime ,that I have attended an IAP meeting ,I have learned something new and usefull.
maybe I can make the next one.

Phunky_2003

I am not sure if I can make it or not. I sure would like to. Can you send me a map. I'll be able to verify if I can attend by the middle of the week.

James

Texatdurango

Well, alrighty then..... I just emailed maps to everyone who asked for one. If you asked for one and didn't get an email, my apologies, give me your email address and I'll send you the map.

See everyone saturday!

Texatdurango

***** Latest Updates*****

The Northern Texas IAP and friends penturning get together (GTG) will be November 14 at my shop in Azle. The official time is 10am to 3pm but come and go whenever you please, I'll have some fresh roasted and fresh ground coffee on at 8:30 and I have it on good authority that there will be donuts as well pretty early on. Everyone who reads this is welcome.

Don will have center stage with his casting and snakeskin prep demo but like past get-togethers, we'll accomodate showing anyone anything at any time so if you are having trouble with a ca finish of using a skew or wondering how to thread a pen cap or want to try out a carbide insert tool just ask!

I will roll the grill around by the shop so we can grill burgers, dogs, brats... whatever you like.

I'll have some fixings for some killer Armenian style spicy burgers but if you want anything else, bring it and we'll need some to bring some condements; chips, drinks, hot dogs, buns, and of course donuts!

Please post below if you will attend, what you'de like to see and what you're bringing. I'll add to this post

Name.................................. What to see ...........Bringing

1. George (texatdurango) ....... Burgers, buns
2. Rudy (rlofton) ....................Donuts
3. Dan (youthministerdan) ........Chips, dessert
4. Don (Great Googly Moogly) ...soft drinks
5. Charles (clraney74) ............. Mini meatballs
6. Gary (papa bear) ..................Brats
7. Don (its_virgil) .................... dessert
8. Lyle (lwalden)...................... plates/utensils
9. Sherry................................ Burger buns cheese slices
10. James (phunky)

When you sign up and don't know how to get to my shop, PM me and include an EMAIL address and I will send you a map.

To those who emailed me, if you think your plans are firming up please sign up so everyone will know how much to bring and I'll know how many burgers to prep. I'd rather have five too many than five short!

Last edited:

Rollerbob

Looking better each day!! BTW, your instructions aren't real clear......do I turn left or right when I get to Salina, KS?

Texatdurango

Looking better each day!! BTW, your instructions aren't real clear......do I turn left or right when I get to Salina, KS?

You'll be heading north on I-35 so you will need to be in the left lane because about half a mile before the intersection of I-70 and I-35 there is a Burger King next to a Texaco station on your left. You can pull in there and call me and I can guide you in from there rather than drawing a complicated map!

Don't make the mistake some do and try and turn at Wichita thinking you have gone too far, it's just a little bit farther!

rlofton

Hey Bob,

If all else fails, stop and ask somebody in Kansas how to get to Azle. They'll probably know how to get to George's place.

Texatdurango

Ok, we're moving towards the weekend pretty quick now and based on what I'm reading and what a few emails have said, we are probably looking for around a dozen to 15 folks to show up so if everyone would have a look at what they are bringing as far as food and adjust their quantities accordingly. And if anyone is at a loss for something to bring, perhaps a pack of hot dogs and some buns or some buns for the brats might fit in nicely.

Also if you wish to participate in the blank swap, bring a couple snazzy blanks you want to toss in the kitty.

Texatdurango

For the new guys... When you see my little "1548" sign down at the bottom of my road you know you have found me. My drive is 800' long so just come on up the hill and this is what you will see. My shop is around the right towards the rear and behind the garage. Feel free to park anywhere on the grass off to the left or right of the road, over in front of the RV or on the driveway itself in either turn around or alongside the garage.

Attachments

• parking.jpg
    parking.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

rlofton

I hope nobody minds this post. I wanted to get it on here so if anyone is interested they can do some research on the items. What I don't sell tomorrow will go on Craig's List tomorrow night. I'll be bringing a few pieces of equipment tomorrow that are for sale.

First is an Hitachi C10FR Job Site Table Saw. You can copy and paste this link to see it. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=159362-46578-C10FR&lpage=none It's not a great saw but is very portable. Paid $239 and reconditioned one's are selling for $175. Mine is in very good working condition and will sell for $125.

Next is a Ryobi 12" Digital Drill Press DP121L. Here's the link to look at it. http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=29094 It's a good little bench top drill press with variable speed, lasers, and worklight. I paid $190 and will take $100. I'll also throw in a Rockler Pen Press/Drilling Jig that is on sale right now for $80 and a bunch of cut sacrificial blocks.

Last, but certainly not least, is a Jet JWL1220. You can see it by copying this link into your address bar. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19791 These sell everywhere for $449 new. I used it about six months before buying a variable speed lathe. Then I used it for polishing only. It runs very smoothly (should have switched motors but I didn't) and has only normal chips and marks on it. It is in very good condition. I'll take $300 for it on the spot.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information. See you folks tomorrow!

Texatdurango

I don't see where anyone would mind, we are all wood turners, some old, some new. At several previous meetings brand new turners showed up and am sure would have loved the chance to find a good deal on stuff regardless if it were blanks, hand tools or big tools. Anyone is free to bring anything they want to sell, swap, give away or just show off to everyone else!

Since this is our own little "private" forum, I doubt someone is Deleware will think this is a "for sale" ad.

lwalden

Sorry Guys (and gals), but I'm not going to be able to make it out for today's festivities. I've got the two youngest while Momma and the oldest are off to San Marcos for "BobCat day" at Texas State this weekend, and the youngest has a DI (Destination Imagination) work day today from 10:00 to 1:00.........

Rollerbob

Lyle, don't let Dan get you down about the no plate thing, George was kind enough to let us each turn our own plate and fork, lots O fun. Sorry you didn't get to meet me!!

TomW

Yeah, the fillet that George provided was Prime. And the chocloate cake Devine... I think North Texas should meet weely...

Tom

its_virgil

We did have a great time today. The activities that George planned and scheduled came together "seamlessly". I hope everyone learned something new. We had some great door prizes, food, fun, and fellowship. Thanks to George for opening his shop and home. Looking forward to the next meeting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Glad everyone had a good time and thanks to Don for sharing his expertise with resin and proving once again why he is "The man" with snakeskin blanks!

Rudy, thanks for helping clean up, I knew giving the maid the day off was a mistake! :)

Papa Bear

I had a great time and had alot of questions answered,thanks George for having me,and thanks to everyone else for sharing all their ideas and knowledge,and a big thank you to Don for showing the snakeskin casting!

Last edited:

Phunky_2003

Thanks George for hosting and planning the
meeting. Thanks to Don for sharing his knowledge
on snakeskin and label casting. I picked up quite a
bit of info. I had a great time. Nice to be able to
put faces with names.

rlofton

I'll echo everybody's comments about hosting the meeting and about Don and George imparting their knowledge to us. But . . . I got ready to leave and there was a California boot on my truck. George wouldn't remove it until I helped him clean up. What's more, he turned Herbie loose on me. I know those boots are expensive but money is no obstacle for George. What a friend.

I really had a great time and the two chefs did a magnificent job with the lunch. George with his grilling of those filet mignon enrobé de bacon and Don with his masterful preparation and presentation of the gâteau au chocolat. Magnifique, Messieurs!

Oh, with all the back and forth that takes place at these meetings, I was really happy to see that everyone has a great sense of humor. Like I always say, don't take yourself too seriously because nobody else does.

Texatdurango

I'll echo everybody's comments about hosting the meeting and about Don and George imparting their knowledge to us. But . . . I got ready to leave and there was a California boot on my truck. George wouldn't remove it until I helped him clean up. What's more, he turned Herbie loose on me. I know those boots are expensive but money is no obstacle for George. What a friend.

I really had a great time and the two chefs did a magnificent job with the lunch. George with his grilling of those filet mignon enrobé de bacon and Don with his masterful preparation and presentation of the gâteau au chocolat. Magnifique, Messieurs!

Oh, with all the back and forth that takes place at these meetings, I was really happy to see that everyone has a great sense of humor. Like I always say, don't take yourself too seriously because nobody else does.

Don, did he just call us names? :eek:

Top Bottom