North Texas Chapter Meeting June 18th

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

The North Texas Chapter will meet Saturday June 18th, at Mike Breslin's [Profile]bres[/Profile] shop in Pilot Point Texas.

We will commence around 11am and conclude around 3pm.

We will eat like we did last time at Mike's - Mike will provide Hot Dogs, everyone else bring something (drinks, chips, plates, dessert, etc. etc.) James [Profile]Phunky_2003[/Profile] is coordinating the food and demos.

Rules: 1) no alcohol. 2) no food or drink in the shop (air conditioned garage ok)

Please post here, your attendance, what you want to bring and what demos you would be interested in:

The current attendance/food list is: (just reply and I'll keep a current list near the bottom of the thread)

Mike (bres) - Hot Dogs
Tom (TomW) - Soft drinks
James (Phunkey_2003) -
Dan (YouthMinisterDan) -
Mark (MarkHix) -
Don (its_virgil) - tentative due to travel plans
Lyle (lwalden) -
Current request list/volunteer list for demos -

TomW - I'll bring my Celtic Knot jig and some in progress examples (no live work).

We are going to set up a "show us your work" table. Please bring a few of your pens to show.

We are also going to have a blank exchange - bring ONE blank, put it in the pool, draw a number, pick a blank to take home. Everyone who brings a blank can play.

We are working on securing some prizes, so if anyone wants to donate something (hint - Seamus) we will acknowledge you publicly and here on IAP after the meeting.

If anyone wants to bring someting to sell (either fine goods (hint-Seamus), or just extra stuff) we will have some time for that too.

We are going to have a short business meeting, mainly to get ideas for meeting frequency/location for the future, so please be thinking about that too.

Driving directions will be available prior to the 18th.

I hope to see you on the 18th!
Tom

Last edited:

seamus7227

I'm in! Not sure what i should bring, but chips and drinks sound like a safe bet! I love all of the insinuations! I'm gonna see what I can pull out my hat.:biggrin::rolleyes:

Phunky_2003

I will some hamburgers and buns.

I think I am going to demo a Creative Dimensions 3D blank. It will most likely be a show and tell type deal. Painting and stuff I let dry overnight.

I also have a folding table and 4 folding chairs I can bring, if needed.

Last edited:

Phunky_2003

If anyone wants something demo'd let me know and we will see if we can get it in the plans. Were going to try to come up with a list of things members want to see. If we can't fit them in this meeting we will add them for another meeting.

Same goes to those who have something they would like to share, we are looking for volunteers. Everyone has knowledge/expertise in areas. Don't hold back..... Who wants to go first?

gilmax

This has to be on my wife's birthday. Wish I could make it out. Hope everyone has a great time and I hope to be able to make the next one.

its_virgil

Unfortunately I will be traveling home from Phipadelphia on Sat unless I can get a standby flight in case I finish my work before Friday. Hate to miss it. See you guys next time. Let's not wait so long for the next meeting.

This will be Seamus's first meeting so don't forget about the initiation ceremony.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Don

This has to be on my wife's birthday. Wish I could make it out. Hope everyone has a great time and I hope to be able to make the next one.

Surprise her and take her out on Friday night. We will also be done in time to take her out on Saturday too. These meetings are a great time to get ideas, fellowship and learn!

Phunky_2003

Seamus has stepped up and is going to do a demo on a cartridge pen he says nobody else is doing. I for one am looking forward to this demo.

Thanks Seamus for volunteering. Even if we did nudge you a lil.

TomW

Seamus has stepped up and is going to do a demo on a cartridge pen he says nobody else is doing. I for one am looking forward to this demo.

Thanks Seamus for volunteering. Even if we did nudge you a lil.

Tell him to bring the scroll saw too!

seamus7227

there's only one reason to bring the scroll saw!:biggrin: That would be a pain to lug that with me:rolleyes:.

Thanks Don for throwing me out there on my own!:beat-up:

The rifle shell pen demo is relatively simple so hopefully I can cover it quickly and have plenty of time left over for others to do demo's as well. Here is a pic of the rifle shell style below:

seamus7227

Better pics of Demo pen design

Below are the pictures from my masterpiece submission pen that was accepted into the Pen Makers Guild. It is a relatively easy -to- build pen that utilizes the upper barrel components of the Berea Hardwoods rifle shell twist pen kit http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/Cartridge_Bullet_Twist_Pen_Chrome.html and a Tru-Shell 30-06 rifle shell to replace the replica shell that comes with the kit. I would love to see others be able to make this simple pen design modification and enjoy the look of the real rifle shell instead of a replica.

Papa Bear

I hope to make it,I have to work in the morning and my wife and daughter will be returning from mission trip that afternoon but not really sure of any times yet!

traderdon55

Great to see the North Texas chapter meeting again. I wish I could pay a visit but I have a trip scheduled to Michigan to visit my daughter and grandchildren and will not be back until the 19th. Hopefully I can make the next one.

PennedDown

Seamus,

Got your message last night and pending the status of father-in-law after having surgery for a stent or two put in, I'll be there!
If stuffed jalepenos sounds good to anyone let me know and I'll put some of those together. I'll also make a Texas caviar and bring.

I know we've talked back and forth a few times in the last month about getting a meeting together, and I'm glad to see it rolling. The house should be through by September so I'll be glad to host later.

seamus7227

Seamus,

Got your message last night and pending the status of father-in-law after having surgery for a stent or two put in, I'll be there!
If stuffed jalepenos sounds good to anyone let me know and I'll put some of those together. I'll also make a Texas caviar and bring.

I know we've talked back and forth a few times in the last month about getting a meeting together, and I'm glad to see it rolling. The house should be through by September so I'll be glad to host later.

Dale,
Hope all goes well with the F.I.L.

bring on the stuffed jalepenos!

Seamus

txbatons

I think I'm able to make it. Thanks for the PM! And I'll bring a side dish for the burgers and dog, and will also bring plates.

I might ask my daughter to make her Choc Chip Oreo cookies (Oreos surrounded by choc chip cookie dough and then baked), but I'd have to bring a defibulator.

I'd be interested in seeing the Celtic knot jig. And I'm also interested in casting tips if anyone here is proficient.

TomW

Here is the status of food and demos as of June 1, 2011 at 11am CDT

The current attendance/food list is: (just reply and I'll keep a current list near the bottom of the thread)

Mike (bres) - Hot Dogs
Tom (TomW) - Soft drinks
James (Phunky_2003) - hamburgers and buns
Dan (YouthMinisterDan) - dessert (coordinate with Mike on hot dog buns)
Mark (MarkHix) - Chips and Dip
Lyle (lwalden) - desserts
Seamus (seamus7227) - Chips and drinks
Roger (qballizhere) - James to notify what's missing and he'll bring it!
Dale (PennedDown) - Stuffed Jalepenos and Texas caviar
Brian (txbatons) - Side dish and plates AND CHOC CHIP OREO COOKIES!:biggrin:

Gary (Papa Bear) - Tentative due to other commitments

TomW - I'll bring my Celtic Knot jig and some in progress examples (no live work).
James (Phunky_2003) - Creative Dimensions 3D blank. It will most likely be a show and tell type deal.
Seamus - Cartrige Pens

Brian - Interested in casting tips

KD5NRH

I'll be working until 8AM Saturday, but I'll put it on my calendar and see if I can make the drive.

Since my attendance is tentative, I'll wait until the food list is filled out a bit more and figure out something when I can make a more solid decision.

Sawdust46

Thanks for the PM. I look forward to being there and meeting everyone. Especially Seamus since he got me hooked I mean introduced me to IAP.

It looks like there is a lot of food already. I can bring plates, plastic ware and maybe some drinks. I also have some folding table I can stick in the truck just in case.

TomW

Two weeks left! I understand we have some donations for give aways in the way! If you have not RSVP'd please post to this thread.

Tom

Here is the status of food and demos as of June 4, 2011 at 8am CDT

Mike (bres) - Hot Dogs
Tom (TomW) - Soft drinks
Bill (Sawdust46) - plates and plasticware - more reason for Brian to focus on the CHOC CHIP OREO COOKIES!!!
Joe (KD5NRH) - Tentative due to work. Will decide on food after list gets fleshed out

James (Phunky_2003) - Creative Dimensions 3D blank. It will most likely be a show and tell type deal.
Seamus - Cartrige Pens

Phunky_2003

Brian,

I just did a casting demo at the Ark/La/Tex meeting last month. I am currently out of casting supplies. I will mark it down for the next meeting to do a demo on casting. I normally do color casting with silmar41. But I can do label and clear castings as well.

I don't normally have alumilite. I have used it and can do demo on it if someone has some we can use for demo purposes.

Is there something in particular you are looking for.

Phunky_2003

The casting demo will be tentative on where we find a place to hosts meetings. The host may not agree to doing a demo do to the smell.

TomW

We can share some casting tips without a demo this time, and if we are good enough Brian can do the demo next time!

Tom

txbatons

Tom...nope, not doing the demo unless I learn something new and creative!

I'm really just interested in sharing casting tips to make my casting colors more vibrant and consistent. I've done a few, but if there were folks at the meeting that cast I'd like to hear some things they do that works well.

Related to that, I'm looking to get going with stabilizing punky woods.

Looking forward to the meeting.

TomW

OK Folks, its getting close! James says the door prizes are looking good!

Here is the status of food and demos as of June 14, 2011 at 9am CDT

Mike (bres) - Hot Dogs
Tom (TomW) - Soft drinks
Bill (Sawdust46) - plates and plasticware - more reason for Brian to focus on the CHOC CHIP OREO COOKIES!!!
Joe (KD5NRH) - Tentative due to work. Will decide on food after list gets fleshed out

Seamus - Cartrige Pens

GregHight

I'm planning on going now that it looks like my weekend is clear. I will bring lots of RhinoPlastic pen blanks and bottle stoppers to give away and I can bring whatever you like as in refreshments.

I saw someone was interested in stabilizing punky wood and I'd love to work with someone on a stabilization demo if you are interested. I have 5 gallons of top secret stabilizing juice, vaccum chambers and pumps. The only thing I don't have that's portable is the oven for the heat cure.

TomW

New List with Greg added:
Here is the status of food and demos as of June 14, 2011 at 11:15am CDT

Mike (bres) - Hot Dogs
Tom (TomW) - Soft drinks
Greg (GregHight) - James will notify what to bring

Seamus - Cartrige Pens
Greg - Willing to do casting demo and/or stabilizing demo

Phunky_2003

I don't think he has sent out the email yet, I haven't received the directions yet either. I do have a pretty good idea of where it's at.

I am still awaiting a few of the door prizes to arrive but do have confirmations on some great door prizes. As soon as I get them all in I will make posts on what's happening.

Top Bottom