Next get together

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

I imagine I have a little to spare!

Also, if anyone is interested, I can do a demo on sawing logs on my sawmill. Not directly pen related but fun and interesting nonetheless. Also, if anyone has some logs they want sawed, bring them and we can cut them up. Contact me for minimum size before bringing them, though.

AWESOME!!!!!

Would love to see that saw mill in action.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If anyone attending wants glue or pen boxes, PM me before Monday May 10 so I can be sure to have it in stock and I'll bring it with me.

JAB1

Final Call

OK...final call for a few things. I know some of you have RSVP'd, but please do so again if you are attending the event May 15. Also include: 1) Food items you are bringing 2) Whether or not you will do a class or demo 3) What and amount of beer you are bringing 4) whether or not you will be bringing items for a swap meet 5) whether or not you are bringing anything to sell ie...blanks, glue, boxes, etc.... 6) whether or not you are bringing your significant other 7) whether or not you will be staying the night.

Do not forget to bring your 3 great blanks for our hat drawing ( blank swap).

Please get the above info to me ASAP so I can finish my list.....cheers....Allan

mrburls

I definately will be there for get together. I'll bring some blanks along again to sell or possibly trade. Will even have some Bakelite and a few Chittum Burl blanks.

Alan PM you what I am bring all.

Keith "mrburls"

alamocdc

Well, crap! Looks like I'm out this time, guys. We have company coming in from out of state and I need to be here. And I was really looking forward to this too!

Make sure someone tells me about the next one so I can try again.

dow

Hey Allen,

Yep I'm coming, and in answer to your other questions:

1. Rudy's Cream Corn (one gallon) and a pot of beans.
  2. No.
  3. Probably won't bring beer, but I might bring some hard cider.
  4. Maybe.
  5. Doubtful.
  6. Probably.
  7. No.
I'll have three blanks to swap

Also, please bear in mind, that this RSVP does not override the previously RSVP that I sent to qualify for the Curtis and Eugene Freebies. :biggrin::biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing everybody there.

The Penguin

I'm in:

1. Probably a dessert (anyone like rum cake?)
2. no
3. Shiner Bock (that way Curtis won't drink it. :tongue: )
4. doubtful
5. no
6. no
7. no

I'll look to see what blanks I have for swapping

Last edited:

flyitfast

I'm a newbie.
I guess this is where I am supposed to RSVP. Count me in.
I look forward to the drive up I35 from SA.
Will bring some of the wife's deviled eggs, some plates, and some soda (there must be some non-beer drinkers in the group!!).
Will find some blanks for the trade off.
NOW, how do I find this place??? Will look for directions in the future.
Gordon Kincheloe
San Antonio

Houstonian

OK...final call for a few things. I know some of you have RSVP'd, but please do so again if you are attending the event May 15. Also include: 1) Food items you are bringing 2) Whether or not you will do a class or demo 3) What and amount of beer you are bringing 4) whether or not you will be bringing items for a swap meet 5) whether or not you are bringing anything to sell ie...blanks, glue, boxes, etc.... 6) whether or not you are bringing your significant other 7) whether or not you will be staying the night.

Do not forget to bring your 3 great blanks for our hat drawing ( blank swap).

Please get the above info to me ASAP so I can finish my list.....cheers....Allan

1. Food: Bringing plates, forks, knives, paper towels, styrofoam cups, etc.
2. Class/Demo: No
3. Beer: No, but will bring soft drinks, if wanted.
4. Swap meet items: No. Problably won't participate in blank swap either. I looked thru my stash and determined I don't have a great selection.
5. Sale items: No, but might be in the buying mood...
6. Flying solo this trip.
7. Not staying overnight.

Let me know if you'll need more or special items for serving/eating, and if you want me to bring soft drinks.

Thanks,
Lee

ElMostro

I am attending.
1) Food items - roasted pork shoulder (already roasted)
2) Whether or not you will do a class or demo - thinking about it
3) What and amount of beer you are bringing - 3 keggs! (not really, 12 pack ok?)
4) whether or not you will be bringing items for a swap meet - Yes, I have several rockler mobile bases still in boxes
5) whether or not you are bringing anything to sell - Yes, I will have my full line of Amalgam-Mutt pen blanks with 10% off for purchases made
6) whether or not you are bringing your significant other - no
7) whether or not you will be staying the night- no

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Alan, I'm planning on being there.

1) Food items you are bringing - a coupla pies for dessert

2) Whether or not you will do a class or demo - I'll show how to make an inexpensive carbide tipped scraper and how to make a 4-in-1 screwdriver (if I make it to Rockler next week before Thursday)

3) What and amount of beer you are bringing - How much do I need to bring besides for myself? I drink MGD or Shiner Bock.

4) whether or not you will be bringing items for a swap meet - I have an extra HF pressure pot I'll bring. Needs a PR valve though.

5) whether or not you are bringing anything to sell ie...blanks, glue, boxes, etc.... - I will bring some extra glue and boxes and I'll see what blanks I can dig up.

6) whether or not you are bringing your significant other - yes

7) whether or not you will be staying the night - We have reservations at the KOA in San Antonio.

The Penguin

regarding the blank swap - what are the guidelines for "good quality" blanks?

I've got some nice wood blanks, but nothing that is exceedingly fabulous that you can't go out and buy from a store or one of the other prominent wood suppliers.

I've got several of MesquiteMan's blanks - but those come kinda dearly (and are hard fought for when he puts them up for sale :biggrin:)

I'd like to participate, but I don't want feel like I'm giving someone else the short end of the blank (stick).

The Penguin

I was thinking - on the blank swap - (just a suggestion, don't shoot me)

Limit the swap for UP TO 3 blanks. Place all blanks in a box or bag. Each participant gets a ticket for each blank donated.

Draw tickets out raffle-style and each ticket holder then draws "blind" for his/her blank.

JAB1

Waiting on Curtis

I will leave the details of the blank swap, etc...up to Curtis.....he will be posting times, directions, etc....soon......

Tim Hughes37

I would love to attend this. I guess this is the way to RSVP.

1) Food item - dessert
2) Class or demo - no
3) A case of diet coke.
4) I have three pen blanks to bring
5) Not bringing anything to sell.
6) attending by myself
7) not staying the night.

I'm looking forward to this. See you Saturday. Will the map be posted?

Tim

rlofton

I will attend.

1) Food items you are bringing - donuts (let me know of any special requests)
2) Whether or not you will do a class or demo - No
3) What and amount of beer you are bringing - 24 Ziegen Bach
4) whether or not you will be bringing items for a swap meet - acrylic blanks including Ceboplast Serpentine
5) whether or not you are bringing anything to sell ie...blanks, glue, boxes, etc.... - pen blanks, acrylic, amboyna, afzeia
6) whether or not you are bringing your significant other - No
7) whether or not you will be staying the night - No

Looking forward to the meeting and doubling or tripling my pen making knowledge!

tnilmerl

Well, I had such a great time last time, I guess I'll drag my sorry self up to San Marcos again for another fab time. I'll bring water and soda for the tea-totallers (GASP!) [we need something to drink early morning]. Might pickup some of those individual ice cream cups for something sweet to nibble on later in the day. Nothing to sell, or trade. I might have a few extra of my handy-dandy transmission press sizers left over I'm willing to pitch into the kitty. I'll dig around. If not, I'll see if I can manufacture a few by then. No significant other and I'm not staying the night, but if anyone in the San Antonio area is interested in car-pooling, drop me a note or call and I'll pick 'em up. I can video the demos and upload or burn to DVD if needed.

Verne

I'm still planning on driving up from Houston. Haven't planned on anything to bring to eat. Will have a couple blanks including some of that cebeloblastic plastic. Won't be staying too long before I head back home. Just a nice short day trip. Want/Need to see Curtis' CA demo most of all and say Hi.
Anyone from the area want's to ride along? let me know
Vern

Silverscout

RSVP

Here's my RSVP for the get-together.

1) Food items - Couple bags of chips (various types)
2) Whether or not you will do a class or demo - too new to know anything spectacular.
3) What and amount of beer you are bringing - No beer, as I won't be staying long enough to drink any. (Unfortunately) Will probably bring a 12-pack of soda.
4) whether or not you will be bringing items for a swap meet - I didn't think I had anything, then I remembered some Bluewood Condalia I have I can make a few blanks out of, so yes (although I don't know if I'll be able to stay long enough to participate.)
5) whether or not you are bringing anything to sell - Most likely not.
6) whether or not you are bringing your significant other - She works nights and will be sleeping, so not this time around.
7) whether or not you will be staying the night- No.

I am looking forward to meeting more turners. See y'all there.

Allen

mrburls

Went through my blanks today and got about 300 blanks to bring along to meeting to sell or maybe trade. From burls to resins and bakelite.

Keith "mrburls"

JAB1

Summary

Ok guys....I will be posting all the details, itinerary, times, map to Curtis place this evening....be sure and read this post tonite....Allan

dow

Ok guys....I will be posting all the details, itinerary, times, map to Curtis place this evening....be sure and read this post tonite....Allan

WHAT!?!?!?!?

No Engraved Invitation???

That's outrageous!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

JAB1

Second to Final Call

OK...here is the latest. Pay attention !!!!

First and foremost, it appears we will have a pretty good group. Going through the forum, I count 22 including Curtis. Not counting wives. Here is the list: Allan, Lupe D, Eugene, Dow, Keith, Mannie, Doug, Allen, Verne, Travis, Rudy, Tim W, Tim H ,Lee, Gordon, Penguin, John, Frank, John Hines , Philip, Chris. If I missed anyone , let me know.

Food items: Allan--small cooked brisket, cole slaw, beer Lupe D---beans and rice, Eugene--pork shoulder, beer, Dow---cream corn, hard cider, Keith---sausage in sauce, rolls, plastic dinnerware Mannie---dessert ( pies), beer Doug G---sausage, beer Allen T---chips, soda Verne---pickles, onions, jalapenos, deer burger Travis---water, soda, ice cream cups Rudy---donuts, beer ( I have been known to have them at the same time) Tim H---dessert , Diet Coke Tim Walkup--german potato salad Lee---plates, forks, knives, paper towels, cups Gordon---deviled eggs, plates, soda Penguin---dessert, Shiner Bock beer John---peach cobbler Doug H---7 layer dip, chips Frank--small HEB precooked brisket, Sessions beer John Hines---dessert, something sweet Chris---onions, pickles, jalapenos Philip--brisket, cheesecake squares

Does it look like we have the meal covered? Please check this list and if any changes or additions, let me know.

Doing demos: 1) Curtis--CA glue technique .....to be filmed by Travis for IAP library...... Curtis, be sure to practice and look sharp...2) Curtis--turning a small bowl 3) Curtis--sawing logs on his sawmill 4) Allan--safety demo 5) Mannie---carbide tip scraper 6) Mannie--making a screwdriver tool 7) Mannie---naked table dance 8) Eugene--bandsaw sharpening technique

Folks bringing the following: 1) Penguin---canopy in case of rain 2) Keith--300 or so blanks to sell, trade 3) Travis--transmission sizers 4)Rudy---acrylic blanks to sell, trade Also, blanks, glue, boxes? 5) Mannie---glue, boxes blanks, pressure pot 6) Eugene--Rockler mobile vases, Amalgam Mutt blanks to sell 7) Several are bring folding tables
Please let me know of any additions to this....hopefully, there will be more !

Don't forget. Everyone bring 3 of your nicer blanks to "draw out of the hat".

OK....we will begin at 0930 at Curtis' ranch and shop. Ending until whenever the beer or whiskey runs out....we do need to cleanup Curtis' place before we leave....remember, drink responsibly in case you are driving back home. Curtis is not responsible for any drunken sailor mishaps !!! Map to his estate can be found under this forum about 3 or 4 below this one...." Maps and Directions for Saturday"

I presume if we have rain ( predicted and hopeful) we will be inside Curtis' shop. We are mostly there anyway, but will be outside during our feast and weather permitting.

Don't forget your chairs !!!!!

BTW, feel free to call me on my cellphone, 9a-5p at 830-275-2970 if you have any questions.

I will post a " final call" on Friday night with any additions to this and/or final updates. Looking forward to seeing everyone..............

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this list but would like to join you in San Marcos Sat if its ok. Not new to wood turning, but just found this list. I can bring 7 layer dip and chips, will be coming alone.
Doug Harrison

JAB1

Yes

Come on down....we'd love to have you....looking forward to meeting you and appreciate the food...will put you down for those items......Allan

burgerman

Hello Allan,

I posted on this thread way back when it got started to say "I'm in." But have not had a chance to get on line for some time. Just checked today and see that I missed out on the RSVP deadline of May 10. So, I'm RSVP'ing late, guess I'll miss out on the freebies, but that's okay.

I still plan on going. Here's my RSVP list:

1) Food items - What do you still need?? I can bring a few bags of chips and some cookies for dessert. Would that work? Would something else be better?
2) Whether or not you will do a class or demo - Won't be doing a demo
3) What and amount of beer you are bringing - 20pack of Session lager. (A smooth, not too heavy lager - Curtis you might like it.)
4) whether or not you will be bringing items for a swap meet - No plans at this time to bring anything, but may find some stuff to bring. I will bring three blanks for the blank exchange.
5) whether or not you are bringing anything to sell - Probably not.
6) whether or not you are bringing your significant other - No.
7) whether or not you will be staying the night- No.

Thanks very much. Looking forward to the big event!

Tim Hughes37

I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't know the first thing about German Potato Salad unless there is a deli in Berlin. LOL

If needed , I can pick up some Sam's potato salad.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
First off, I don't know where you came up with item #7 for a demo, that ain't gonna happen, it'd gross everyone out.

Although I plan on bringing glue and pen boxes, it would help if you could PM me what you want and I can have it boxed up and ready to go. Sunday's deadline was just so I could add any to my regular order to make sure I had what you want in stock. I will be leaving Houston for San Antonio Friday morning, so after that it's hit or miss if I have what you want on Saturday.

Mannie

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am a little concerned about the amount of meat that we will have. I looks like a small brisket, a pork shoulder, and some sausage. Will this be enough so that everyone gets their fill? Remember, if we are eating around lunch and then drinking the afternoon away, there will be some of us who will want to eat more later in the day possibly.

Also, does anyone have any folding table they can bring? We are going to need a place to display things as well as to eat. I only have a couple of tables myself. If no one has any, I will rent some so we make sure we have enough.

Also, if you want a place to sit, be sure you bring your own folding chair! I have a few but just a fair warning, I am not giving up my chair just because someone forgot to bring one!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone. I have been working my butt off this week trying to get my absolute mess of a shop cleaned up and ready! Not only do I have to clean the wood shop portion, but the rest of my shop is also a complete mess! Sometimes it sucks to have a big shop!

Oh yeah, one last thing...when you arrive, feel free to park in the grass on the right side of my driveway where the really nice live oaks used to live until the drought last summer killed them! Anyone want any live oak?? :(

Here is the map and directions on how to get here:

Here are a couple of maps as well as directions for Saturday. The first is an overview with the second a close-up for when you get off I-35.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Directions:

I-35 South of San Marcos to Posey Rd (Exit 199)
West on Posey Rd. until dead end at Hunter Road
South (left) at Hunter Rd. approx 100 yards to Hunter Ridge
West (right) on Hunter Ridge to cul-de-sac at end of road
Continue on the paved driveway (basically a continuation of Hunter Ridge) approx 100 feet
Take gravel driveway to the left and follow it up past my house to the metal building/shop
. Feel free to park in the grass on the right side of the driveway.

If you get lost, my mobile number is 512-738-0775.

burgerman

Curtis,
I could bring some meat. What do you suggest? I think a brisket would take too long
to cook. Sorry, I don't have any tables.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Frank, It might be nice to have another brisket. They have pre-cooked briskets at HEB that are actually fairly good. What does everyone else think? Should we have more meat?

The Penguin

I have a 6' folding table.

I can also whip up some "frito coleslaw" just before we eat. It has mayo in it, so I don't want to try to keep it cold.

Top Bottom