New turner in Killeen - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Central Texas
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default New turner in Killeen

I've been making kit pens for about a year now, and am just starting to get into more fancy stuff. I'm always looking for new tips and tricks, and I'd love to come to the next meeting.

To get things started, I'll say that I'm completely inept at applying CA finishes. I've read every article and watched every video, and apparently I was born without the part of my brain that allows me to use a CA finish. I have developed (or probably reinvented) a nice three-part sand-free finish that I'll gladly share in exchange for an examination of where I'm going wrong with my CA finish.

I'm not sure what else to say about myself without making this sound like a dating site profile. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys, and eager to share my experiences, however limited.

-Dave B.
eranox is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Dave,

There are a lot of people on this forum who can help you with the CA issue. I learned how to do it from some of those folks and would be glad to pass on what I know. I'm way down in South Austin but if you were interested in venturing down here, I would be glad to show you what I know and I think it will get you on your way to producing those glass like finishes we all see on this site.
http://custompenworksonline.com
jedgerton is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 21

Dave,

Hello from Temple Texas. CA as a finish can be tough sometimes. Some pens it works perfectly for me. Others I have to fight it the whole way. For me it was a steep learning curve.

There are many on here that are masters at it and will help and answer any question you may have. Try placing a post in the finishing forum asking for advise. You should get lots of replies.

Joe
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 150

Welcome to the group from Wichita Falls!

"My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world."
-Billy Graham
seamus7227 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedgerton View Post
Dave,

There are a lot of people on this forum who can help you with the CA issue. I learned how to do it from some of those folks and would be glad to pass on what I know. I'm way down in South Austin but if you were interested in venturing down here, I would be glad to show you what I know and I think it will get you on your way to producing those glass like finishes we all see on this site.
I appreciate the invite, and I may just take you up on it. I travel quite a lot for work, but if I get some free time, I'd sure appreciate learning your technique. I can see from your web site that you have a pretty good handle on it!

-Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Welcome Dave B, I'm a Dave B also and I lived in Killeen in the 80's (good old Fort Hood).
Anyhow, LOTS of good information here.

don't go there, under construction........
theidlemind is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Burns View Post
Dave,

Hello from Temple Texas. CA as a finish can be tough sometimes. Some pens it works perfectly for me. Others I have to fight it the whole way. For me it was a steep learning curve.

There are many on here that are masters at it and will help and answer any question you may have. Try placing a post in the finishing forum asking for advise. You should get lots of replies.

Joe
Thanks for the encouragement, Joe. I'll browse the archives, practice up, and probably ruin a few more finishes, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Hopefully I'll get it and have something to show by the time the next meeting rolls around.

-Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus7227 View Post
Welcome to the group from Wichita Falls!
Whoa! I didn't know I was living down the road from the famous Seamus Rooney! I have a book with some of your pens in it, which kind of blows my mind. I'd sure like to see the Tru-Quarter inlay process in action sometime. Thanks for the welcome!

-Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Dave, can you describe the process you are using and where the trouble shows up? Is it in applying the CA or in the sanding process where you are having difficulty?

Harry
plano_harry is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidlemind View Post
Welcome Dave B, I'm a Dave B also and I lived in Killeen in the 80's (good old Fort Hood).
Anyhow, LOTS of good information here.
Nice to make your acquaintance, Dave. You'll be happy to know that we've kept Killeen's sprawling ghetto motif intact and thriving.

I notice your profile says Berea, Kentucky. Any relation to the Berea Hardwoods company?

-Dave
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads