An Incredible get-to-gether (kinda windy)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Verne

I just want to comment on what a great Central Texas meeting I had the pleasure of attending yesterday at the Seebeck ranch in San Marcos, TX. Curtis was the consumate host of about 20 turners that displayed some incedible works of art (pens) and one very nice bowl.
Monty was there with glue orders and some acacia and BOW and other incidental. EL Mostrol (I think) was there from SAT with all sorts of one of a kind blanks, others brought "stuff" from the shops to get rid of or to assist us plebes with our turning.
Demonstrations by Monty on electro plating and his verision of the texas flag, a medical lecture (don't get him started) by Allen, a demo by curtis on the ever popular CA finish (there isn't a nickles worth of difference in which towel you use!) and later casting alumilite.
Let me tell you, it was more than worth the price of admission and I hope I can attend again. Monty and I drove over from Houston in about 3-3 1/2 hours and even the Houston traffic didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the trip. So.....if you see Central Texas planning another meeting and you can work it in to your schedule I would highly recommend it on your itinery.
Oh, last but certainly not least, the BBQ was outstanding!
That's the way I saw it from my vantage point,
Vern

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Glad to have you Vern, you and Monty were great company and I finally got the "Monty" "Mannie" thing cleared up. Nice to put a face with a profile.

beck3906

I too had a great time meeting folks and looking at the incredible work people had on display.

Thanks to all who had a hand in getting it together and to Curtis for the gracious hospitality in allowing us to use his shop.

Now, anyone know where I can find Curtis' instruction sheet on makiing the molds from the Sam's Club cutting boards?

Rick Beckham

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I too had a great time and enjoyed the GREAT company, not only at Curtis' but while commuting in Vern's new bucket truck. And Vern, the demo was on powder coating, not electroplating.

Rick, I did a search with the terms "cutting", "board" and "mold" and what do you think popped up :eek::eek::eek::biggrin:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41362&highlight=cutting+board+mold

It was great seeing Billy, Alan and Keith again and as others have said, getting to put faces with names.

alamocdc

As far as I could tell, everyone had a great time. I know I did. Curtis is a great host and deserves a special thanks! I am looking forward to future meetings of our local band.

I saw Eugene and others taking photos. How about posting them in a thread under Casual Conversation so everyone can see our little get together and get a bit jealous.:wink:

JAB1

Kudos to Curtis

Ok...my two bits regarding yesterday's meeting .....

Our host, Curtis, did a wonderful job of letting us meet at his place. His CA demo was great, as well as his Alumilite demo....I think we all learned alot there....

It was great to meet all of you.....I now have a face with the names on our forum....I also want to thank Ernest, Monty, and the others who brought stuff for us to purchase....

I was pleased that we all decided to meet twice yearly....with the next meeting in March and one in October next year....and, Curtis allowing us to meet at his great shop and a central location .....

I would like each of us who attended to think about donating to the IAP forum....each dollar helps keep things going and Curtis in beer....( joking)....

I am in hopes that any of you that took pics will post them ASAP....more to come...

jedgerton

I just wanted to say that even though I had to leave early, I really enjoyed our get together. Thanks again to Curtis for being such a gracious host and especially agreeing to host future meetings!

After seeing the work you guys do, I'm once again inspired to try some new things and maybe one day venture away from the shallow end of the talent pool. Keep turning and be careful out there :).

John

dow

Thanks for hosting this, Curtis. I got to meet a lot of fine folks, and see a bunch of GREAT looking pens. I had a great time, and learned a lot of good stuff. I haven't tried Curtis's method of CA finishing yet, but I'm planning on giving it a shot this weekend.

Mannie, thanks for the demo on the Texas pens. If I ever get to doing those I'll be giving you a call for all of the details.

Allen, thanks to your safety talks, I'm now in the process of covering all of my tools with Nerf. :biggrin:

burgerman

Great meeting at Curtis' (first post)

Hello All,
I've been registered with IAP for a couple months, but this is my first post. Just wanted to echo everyones' comments about the meeting this past Saturday at Curtis' place. It was outstanding. I've never seen so many beautiful, well-made and unique pens in one place. What a group of talented and skilled people as well!
I learned a lot from the demos. It's nice to see that so many people are willing to share their knowledge with others.
Even though this is my first post, I've been "lurking" for a awhile and already learned a lot from reading posts and from Curtis when I went to pick up blanks from him. He's got the CA finish down as demonstrated at the meeting. I look forward to posting and sharing ideas of things that worked, and things that didn't, etc, and posting some pen photos.
I've posted some photos from Sat. It was great to meet all you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IAP meeting 0397.jpg
    IAP meeting 0397.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IAP meeting 0396.jpg
    IAP meeting 0396.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 230

Rollerbob

Ok guys, real jealous...........was trying my best to come to this but unable. Please include me in your next GTG, please!

dlindquist

I, too, want to thank Curtis O for inviting me,and for being a great host, and everyone else for sharing their knowledge and showing their great work. There's a lot of talent in Central TX. Who knew? And seeing the cat turd pen was surely a highlight of my life. It reminded me of some of my early work.

Dave L

Top Bottom