Central Texas Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whitehat1994

Thank you Rick for hosting a fantastic hands on meeting today! I enjoyed the day of fellowship and learning environment.
Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Rick, thanks for having another great get together. I had a very enjoyable time. Really liked the hands on and close discussions. I don't know everyone that was there by forum name but appreciate their participation and enjoyed meeting them.

Great time Rick.....Oh I never got desert (too full anyway).:biggrin:

Thanks

Ray

Last edited:

beck3906

Enjoyed having everyone at the shop. I hope everyone left with new techniques and challenges to try.

We started our day with some general discussions on basic pen making ideas. Everyone chose an acrylic blank and decided on a color to paint the tubes. After drying, epoxy was tinted to use in gluing the tubes. We also began a segmented blank.

After lunch ( and sorry about forgetting dessert :redface:), we flipped the segmented blank to make a pattern 90 degrees to what they segmented. We then trimmed the acrylic blanks and began turning the blanks. Most chose to use TBC techniques and using a skew for finishing. I think most folks became a bit more comfortable with the skew after they completed their pen body.

And show us your turned segmented pens when you're done.

Assembly of the acrylic blanks was with a chrome Sierra kit. I know everyone left with an outstanding pen.

Here are a few pictures of our time together. One is where the segmented blank is worked on. Another shows Oldsarge trimming his acrylic blank on the sander. Another shows Whitehat 1994 trimming his blank with the pen mill.

We discussed the idea of another meeting in September, possibly the weekend after Labor Day. Anyone want to offer hosting a meeting then?

Attachments

• 31514-1.jpg
    31514-1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 31514-2.jpg
    31514-2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 31514-3.jpg
    31514-3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Dean L.

Thanks for hosting the meeting Rick. Mike and I thoroughly enjoyed the hands on and the different ideas you and everyone else had. On our way home Mike was trying to figure out how he could get his hands on a lathe for his house.

Thanks for helping make another addict.

Dean

Top Bottom