Central Texas Meeting - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Central Texas
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

This may be an unofficial meeting of the Cen-Tex group, but we can gather as many people as want to come. I just thought it would be fun to get a few folks together.

I'll provide directions to anyone wanting to come. We'll get those out once we see who's coming. I'm basically 3 miles off an exit in Belton.

We can plan for burgers and hotdogs if we want to be there during lunch. I'll need help with food and drinks if we grow to too many attending.

Plan on bringing something you want to do for a blank swap. I may also provide a sack of goodies to each "family" from my wood pile as I'm trying to thin my stock some. May not give something to everyone because there may be more than one from each family attending.

Also bring anything you want to sell/swap/barter if you have anything. Bring cash to buy if you don't swap. Shoot, bring your Square device if you want to accept credit cards for what you're selling.

It's always nice to have an agenda. Any thoughts for subjects to discuss?

This will give me motivation to finish some of the modifications to my shop.

Last edited by beck3906; 05-21-2013 at 06:30 PM.
beck3906 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 56

Rick, I'm looking forward to the get together and seeing your shop in person. Burgers and dogs sounds good, count on me to help with the food and drink.

I'm brand new to pen turning so I'm not sure I would have the best suggestions for an agenda. I would love to do some hands on finishing and maybe pick up some pointers from the folks with the know how!

Dan
teamtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 150

Im talking with the wife about coming down that whole weekend, kill two birds with one stone(wedding anniversary is on the 27th, and pen turning!!) I better get started on Texas Quarter blanks!!! discounts will be offered!!
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Uh oh! This meeting may elevate a notch or two now.

Come on down. I'm turning some of your Texas quarter blanks tonight. Hopefully I'll sell a few this weekend and need more.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I'm in! I think a blank swap is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing faces to attach to the names and screen names. :)
Martin G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #26 (permalink)

How about a competition.....speed turning.

We have blanks pre-made and have 3-5 competitors. You get 10 minutes to turn the body. Points awarded for every 15 second chunk of time you come in under 10 minutes. Judges award points on quality.

Most points wins.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck3906 View Post
How about a competition.....speed turning.

We have blanks pre-made and have 3-5 competitors. You get 10 minutes to turn the body. Points awarded for every 15 second chunk of time you come in under 10 minutes. Judges award points on quality.

Most points wins.
I'm way slower than 10 minutes a pen but that's a competition I would enjoy watching. Might even learn something!
Martin G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

I was thinking about this thread and wanted to make changes to the concept.

All previous meetings were held at Curtis' place because it was centrally located to most members in cental Texas. I was seeing several new members in my area and thought it may be nice to open my shop, or another place, and get folks nearby together for a brief time. We could share ideas, exchange blanks, and generally share our interest in pen turning.

It appears that this interest is spreading beyond the Temple-Belton-Killeen area. I've said my suggestion was an unofficial meeting but I don't want to discourage anyone from attending.

If you can fly, drive or ride a horse here, you're welcome to come. Yes, I do have a field next door where the horse could graze.

Come on by if you want. There's plenty of parking and we'll find fishes and loaves to feed everyone. Donations may be requested.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default Central Texas Meeting

Rick, how big is your shop? Instead of turning Seamus's blanks, maybe you should add an extension on your shop. My wife decided not to come. She told me "it's a guy thing". I said OK.

Seamus, hope you and your wife make it, maybe Rick will sub-name it as an Anniversary Party for you. Bring plenty of quarters and snake blanks. I will be more than happy to trade you a pecan blank for a rattlesnake blank. (where's Virgil)

Sounds like it is going to be a great get together.

Rick, I used to take a couple of my Grandsons to Peacock's Archery in Belton. (just saying)

Ray

Last edited by ironman123; 05-22-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: more info
ironman123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 150

Ray,
I think i have convinced the wife that we should go, leave thursday nite or friday morning and go do stuff down there. Then Saturday we can go to the meeting and maybe stay another nite. I am going to start working on blanks(Texas Tru-Quarter™ and snakeskin blanks) between now and then! But I do hope other will bring their wives with them, Jennie doesnt like being the lone ranger,LOL
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads