Central Texas Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

I'm out of town until May 18. Should be free after that, barring any unexpected work travel. Very much looking forward to meeting everyone!

phillywood

It is not going to happen, since curtis has been very busy and we usually meet at his place. However, recent attepmts were unsuccessful and not much responses from the old turners either.​

beck3906

Since there are so few responding, and most around the Temple-Belton-Killeen area, or within a reasonable drive, let's do something for those of us in this area. Doesn't have to be an official central Texas meeting.

I can offer my shop as a meeting place if interested. Or we can o somewhere else if you suggest a place.

Maybe the last Saturday in June? That would give me time to get the place better organized if we do it here.

We can also plan an agenda if you suggest ideas.

flyitfast

I would definitely like to attend, but have a conflict on the last Sat. in June. I have been to the last couple get togethers at Curtis's and they have been great for sharing and learning. I hope you all can get enough folks for your get together "up North" :)
gordon

beck3906

Everyone is welcome.

I don't expect there to be a large turnout. I suggested this as there appear to be a few folks from the Killeen-Belton-Temple area who may want to get together locally.

We can make plans a bit later as to what we will do. We can have a beginners discussion, intermediate groups or whatever.

I have 3 Jet minis we can put into use as desired or have multiple areas going.

How long would you want to meet? Maybe 10-3/4:00 or so? We can do shorter if you just want to meet and greet.

What subjects do you suggest? I can have samples ready to turn if you want.

ironman123

Hey Rick. I was at Temple VA today and go back June 14th.
We went toward Rogers looking for fresh vegetables but found that Dancing Bee Winery instead. They have a Farmer Market there this Saturday.. I will miss it. My wife and I will sure try to make it to the get together at your place though. When the meet is for sure set, you going to post any events you are having and driving directions to your place?

Ray

beck3906

This may be an unofficial meeting of the Cen-Tex group, but we can gather as many people as want to come. I just thought it would be fun to get a few folks together.

I'll provide directions to anyone wanting to come. We'll get those out once we see who's coming. I'm basically 3 miles off an exit in Belton.

We can plan for burgers and hotdogs if we want to be there during lunch. I'll need help with food and drinks if we grow to too many attending.

Plan on bringing something you want to do for a blank swap. I may also provide a sack of goodies to each "family" from my wood pile as I'm trying to thin my stock some. May not give something to everyone because there may be more than one from each family attending.

Also bring anything you want to sell/swap/barter if you have anything. Bring cash to buy if you don't swap. Shoot, bring your Square device if you want to accept credit cards for what you're selling. :)

It's always nice to have an agenda. Any thoughts for subjects to discuss?

This will give me motivation to finish some of the modifications to my shop.

Last edited:

teamtexas

Rick, I'm looking forward to the get together and seeing your shop in person. Burgers and dogs sounds good, count on me to help with the food and drink.

I'm brand new to pen turning so I'm not sure I would have the best suggestions for an agenda. I would love to do some hands on finishing and maybe pick up some pointers from the folks with the know how!

Dan

seamus7227

Im talking with the wife about coming down that whole weekend, kill two birds with one stone(wedding anniversary is on the 27th, and pen turning!!) I better get started on Texas Quarter blanks!!! discounts will be offered!!

beck3906

Uh oh! This meeting may elevate a notch or two now.

Come on down. I'm turning some of your Texas quarter blanks tonight. Hopefully I'll sell a few this weekend and need more. :biggrin:

Martin G

I'm in! I think a blank swap is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing faces to attach to the names and screen names. :)

beck3906

How about a competition.....speed turning.

We have blanks pre-made and have 3-5 competitors. You get 10 minutes to turn the body. Points awarded for every 15 second chunk of time you come in under 10 minutes. Judges award points on quality.

Most points wins.

Martin G

How about a competition.....speed turning.

We have blanks pre-made and have 3-5 competitors. You get 10 minutes to turn the body. Points awarded for every 15 second chunk of time you come in under 10 minutes. Judges award points on quality.

Most points wins.

I'm way slower than 10 minutes a pen but that's a competition I would enjoy watching. Might even learn something!

beck3906

I was thinking about this thread and wanted to make changes to the concept.

All previous meetings were held at Curtis' place because it was centrally located to most members in cental Texas. I was seeing several new members in my area and thought it may be nice to open my shop, or another place, and get folks nearby together for a brief time. We could share ideas, exchange blanks, and generally share our interest in pen turning.

It appears that this interest is spreading beyond the Temple-Belton-Killeen area. I've said my suggestion was an unofficial meeting but I don't want to discourage anyone from attending.

If you can fly, drive or ride a horse here, you're welcome to come. Yes, I do have a field next door where the horse could graze.

Come on by if you want. There's plenty of parking and we'll find fishes and loaves to feed everyone. Donations may be requested.

ironman123

Rick, how big is your shop? Instead of turning Seamus's blanks, maybe you should add an extension on your shop.:biggrin: My wife decided not to come. She told me "it's a guy thing". I said OK.

Seamus, hope you and your wife make it, maybe Rick will sub-name it as an Anniversary Party for you.:biggrin: Bring plenty of quarters and snake blanks. I will be more than happy to trade you a pecan blank for a rattlesnake blank.:biggrin: (where's Virgil)

Sounds like it is going to be a great get together.

Rick, I used to take a couple of my Grandsons to Peacock's Archery in Belton. (just saying)

Ray

Last edited:

seamus7227

Ray,
I think i have convinced the wife that we should go, leave thursday nite or friday morning and go do stuff down there. Then Saturday we can go to the meeting and maybe stay another nite. I am going to start working on blanks(Texas Tru-Quarter™ and snakeskin blanks) between now and then! But I do hope other will bring their wives with them, Jennie doesnt like being the lone ranger,LOL

beck3906

Shop is 1280 sq.ft. (Think small house.). We can get several folks around or do something outside if the weather cooperates. Lots of trees. I built as big as I could convince my wife to let me have.

I can move a few things out if we need more space. Could always go to the garage.

I may get a bit concerned if we start to hit 25-30 people. :eek:

Last edited:

ironman123

We could secretly pass around a big drink cup and take up (Appreciation Donations) a collection, put the lid on it, stick in a straw and hand it to Rick when we leave and tell him it is a thank you drink.......but don't tell Rick we are doing it.

Seamus, that sounds like a good itenir, itener, uh anyway sounds like you are going to have a nice weekend.

Rick, I think you are going to be a great host.

Ray

seamus7227

I will be making around 10-20 texas quarter blanks(10 Sierra's and 10 Jr. Gent II) and wondering if there will be very much interest in these so i kind of have an idea of how many to make. I will also be selling them for $55(sierra's) and $65(jr gent II) instead of my normal $84(sierra) and $95(jr gent II), just for this meeting only. I will hopefully be able to have plenty of snakeskin blanks available as well, but those prices will stay the same. I am really looking forward to meeting some people from within the community!

beck3906

Oh, my. Too many temptations.

I'll be looking for spare change to see what I can get from Seamus. Do you think you can bring one of the dollars on the desert uniform blank? Would love to see one of them.

I'm still looking for suggestions for discussion topics or demos.

We'll start taking a final head count in 2 weeks so we can prepare for food. I could always run over to Killeen and stock up on MRE's. :biggrin:

teamtexas

Seamus, being brand new to pen making I'm hesitant to commit on too many top end blanks. I'm thinking I would like to try at least one of the sierra's though.

Rick, A few topics I find of intrest these days are Segmenting, Casting/Stabilizing and Finishing. I've done a little of all of these and could sure use some advice from folks with more knowledge about it.

Dan

Top Bottom