Central Texas annual meeting set and confirmed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snowbeast

I'll toss (not literally) a couple of cases of soda waters in a cooler. Was wondering what to bring since I'm rather anti-social and don't get much experience with this sort of thing.:eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

As I said earlier, I'll have a case or two of water and an ice chest. I also got cups and dessert plates today and will bring them along. Have some desserts to bring along also. I'll bring a six foot table.
gordon

Sawdust46

I apologize for the late notice but I won't be able to make it. The a/c went out on my truck yesterday and I don't look forward to the drive without it!

phillywood

We are going to need some fruit and snacks. I try to bring two water melons or see if I can pick them up at the grocery stoes already prepared. I bring some water and sodas too. Anyone else up for helping out?
Don't forget to bring some blanks for swap, please.

Last edited:

HeartofaPen

I'll bring some desert and see what I can come up with on some fruit.

Do you still need tables. We are pulling out tonight and staying in San Marcos a couple of days so can load tables if still needed.

Chris

widows son

Bringing fruit

We are going to need some fruit and snacks. I try to bring two water melons or see if I can pick them up at the grocery stoes already prepared. I bring some water and sodas too. Anyone else up for helping out?
Don't forget to bring some blanks for swap, please.

I will be bringing fruit. jw

phillywood

Last year Curtis allowed peole bringing their own beer, I'd say since we have children around use your own judgment and if you wish BYOB.
We will start at 9:30 AM and have show and tell, and a class or two or three, followed by lunch. Then, we come back to the shop for desert and refreshments, then have another demo or two.

I need someone to volunteer to bring a video camera and record the demos for use in the IAP library......let me know if you can film in action, please.
From last year's Curtis post he seems to be ok with bringing kids
"I would rather not have a bunch of kids running around my shop due to the inherent dangers and my liability but I am not going to say no kids either. If you have kids you want/need to bring along, use your best judgement and go from there"
We need napkins, cups, forks and cutting utensiles for the deserts, anyone?

For the swaps we need about at least two each person. Please bring some nice blanks to swap then we will draw numbers for them.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
All I can say is somebody BETTER bring some beer!! After all the festivities have wound down, the beer drinking can begin. About 7 of us had a great time last year sitting around drinking beer!

Also, I rented 2 Port-a-cools today and have them running already. They cost me $120 for both so if anyone is willing to chip in any to help cover the cost, it would be much appreciated.

As for kids...this year they are more than welcome. My shop is pretty much kid resistant since my daughter is now 5 and likes to come out in the shop. There are still dangers so bring them at your own risk. If anyone gets hurt, we will take you out in the road and run over you with the truck so the truck insurance will pay instead of my homeowner's insurance!

Also, I have NO tables or chairs so if you want a chair you better bring it!

phillywood

Well, folks we see you tomorrow, and for those of you who are coming form far distances, please drive safely and see you all there.

Don't forget to take my phone number and Curtis's as well should anything come up.

el_d

IAP

Thanks to my wife I got some Cake burls......:biggrin:

Attachments

• IAP Cake burls.jpg
    IAP Cake burls.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IAP Cake burlsC.jpg
    IAP Cake burlsC.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 141

trickydick

Phil/Curtis,

Sorry I was not able to go to the meeting today. Found out this week that my company is moving me to China to head our new operations there. Lots to do to get ready.

Trying to think how I can help the IAP during my next 2 years in China. Bummer that I had to miss the meeting. Hope you all had fun.

Last edited:

flyitfast

:smile-big: As usual, today's "Central Texas Annual IAP Meeting" was enjoyable, informative, and a great way to spend Saturday. With thanks to Curtis for his hospitality and Phillip's work to bring everyone together made for a successful get together. It was a good chance to put people together with their IAP tags and to learn from each other. Curtis' blank stabilization demo, using 'Mesquiteman's Cactus Juice' showed those that hadn't seen it a great way for better blanks. And Tom W gave us another way to cut blanks for Celtic Knot-made things simpler. Also, we got to see many of the blanks available from several vendors. Having Mannie's glues, boxes, blanks, etc. was also very handy.
The BBQ was great, even though we didn't have the good home cooked foods like last year. The desserts, homemade and otherwise made for good snacking tho'.
Hope those who missed today will be able to join us next year.
gordon

Last edited:

jedgerton

I'm sorry I missed the gathering this time. I am relieved to hear that Lupe and his wife brought the cake burls instead of those fabulous beans. If I had missed those beans from last time, I'm not sure I could forgive myself :).

John

mrburls

It was good to see some old friends and some new friends today at Curtis's place for the Central Texas meeting. Finally got to meet Doc (Wizard) and his wife Karen. Saw that nice kitless pen Justin (Timebandit) help Doc make.

Was a real pleasure talking with Justin (Timebandit) and his parents. I tell you this young man has some real talent making these kitless pens :good::good:
I was in awe when he showed me some of his lastest work. Got a few tips from him on a few questions I had about making kitless pens. Can't wait to see some of the next kitless pens he does with some of the Italian resin blanks he got from me.

Curtis did a nice demo on his Catus Juice stabilizing system. And a big thank you to Curtis for having us all at his place agian. And even bigger thanks for getting the portable air conditioning units. It helped to keep things a bit cooler.

Tom (TomW) demoed a great idea he got from Skiprat for doing celtic knots. Seems to be pretty easy and accurate way of making these blanks. I'll be in touch with you Tom for some of those blank holders.

Was a nice day out in the Hill Country :)

Keith "mrburls"

Last edited:

phillywood

Well, Thank you all for coming and sharing such a wonderful time together. I enjoyed seeing soem of the older members whom I got acquainted with form last year as well as newer ones. I am sorry that soem of you didn't make it and some had to leave earlier for other engagements they had. All and all I think every one enjoyed their visit.

I wanted to say that I could have done a better job as to trying to eliminate duplicates of sweets and deserts that most of you brought along. We had too many and most of it ended up not being used anyways.
So, I think Curtis should be much sweeter now for the next two weeks eating all that pies and cakes and donuts we brought. I was surprised too to see not that many consumed any fruits. I suggest that next year we get a better head count and try not to bring this many food items that may end up in waste basket.

I wanted to thank Curtis again for offering his shop and also taking time out from 8:00 am on Fri. until late in the evening to clean up his shop and have it ready for us.

Hope we can have another one soon maybe in Nov. or so when it's cooler in S. Texas and by then perhaps we can have all our friends there who missed this gathering.

beck3906

I'm sorry that I missed the trip down as I know everyone had a great time.

We decided to stay home as we had several things happening to the shop and house we're building. We're trying to save a few dollars by cleaning the site and hauling the trash off ourselves. Needless to say, we spent quality time at the city dump this weekend.

Maybe everyone would consider meeting at my place sometime after the middle of December. It could be centrally located to a lot of folks. 2.25 hours to Dallas, 2.25 hours to San Antonio, and 2.5 to Houston.

The offer is open.

widows son

Thanks from a new guy

yesterday was our first time, really enjoyed putting faces to names. The snacks were a diabetics nightmare! I bought some cool blanks and learned enough to keep me busy with my lathe until next year.

John and Aleta Wallace aka Widows Son

burgerman

Had a great time yesterday at Curtis' shop. Thanks much to Curtis for hosting again, and to Phillip for helping to organize everything. Curtis did a great demo on stabilizing and Tom W. did a great demo on making segmented blanks, with a clever jig. There were plenty of blanks, glues and nice pens to admire. Lupe, your wife's cake "burls" were delicious!
Looking forward to the next meeting. Thanks everyone.

Just wanted to add that I really enjoyed talking to all the great folks at the meeting. I got to meet Justin S. (Timebandit) and his parents and saw the cool, kitless fountain pens he is making. If memory serves, I think he said he has been turning pens for not quite a year yet. Incredible work for such a short time doing it. His dad, Randy had some nice pens too. Justin lives close by, and I'm hoping he will have time to show me how he does some of the kitless pens in his shop.

Last edited:

el_d

The wife and myself had a great time.....too bad some of yuzz couldn't make it.

I got to meet new members and put new faces on "often seen" avatars.

John had I known I would have tried to get the lathe from you i'n exchange for a years supply of mamas beans. And Frank the little lady says thank you. She stayed up late to make them look appetizing......she wouldn't let me near them.

Thank you Curtis for the hospitality, I always feel welcome when going over to your place. And thens Phillip for your organizational skills. Great job guys.

Wish We could have stayed longer........ And had more money for the great vendors.

rsjimenez

Thank You Curtis for hosting and Philip for organizing. We had a very good time and met a lot of very nice people. The boys really enjoyed all the deserts. :)

Last edited:

Silverscout

Looks like I need to come by the website more often. I completely missed even hearing about this until it was too late. :frown:

I can't wait to find out when the next get-together will be as I thoroughly enjoyed the last one.

Allen

Timebandit

I had a great time as well. It was great to meet new people and to what what other people have been up to.

It was a pleasure talking with you Keith, and i would be happy to give any other advice if you need it. Thank you for the compliments, and i looked forward to using the blanks i got from you.

Thanks to all who put this together and to all who came.

Justin

It was good to see some old friends and some new friends today at Curtis's place for the Central Texas meeting. Finally got to meet Doc (Wizard) and his wife Karen. Saw that nice kitless pen Justin (Timebandit) help Doc make.

Was a real pleasure talking with Justin (Timebandit) and his parents. I tell you this young man has some real talent making these kitless pens :good::good:
I was in awe when he showed me some of his lastest work. Got a few tips from him on a few questions I had about making kitless pens. Can't wait to see some of the next kitless pens he does with some of the Italian resin blanks he got from me.

Curtis did a nice demo on his Catus Juice stabilizing system. And a big thank you to Curtis for having us all at his place agian. And even bigger thanks for getting the portable air conditioning units. It helped to keep things a bit cooler.

Tom (TomW) demoed a great idea he got from Skiprat for doing celtic knots. Seems to be pretty easy and accurate way of making these blanks. I'll be in touch with you Tom for some of those blank holders.

Was a nice day out in the Hill Country :)

Keith "mrburls"

HeartofaPen

Tina and I both had a great time as well. Great to meet everyone from the central part of TX as well as see some of the familiar faces from the Houston area.

Thanks again Curtis for hosting and for Philip getting it all together.

Chris & Tina Jones

phillywood

Well guys I think i didn't push for someone to bring along a camera and I forgot to bring mine too. So, there are no pic.s of this meeting and as they say no pics. it didn't happen, but we know it did.:redface::rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:
Now how are we going to prove it, that's beyond me and i hope you guys will do something about this pic..

AnachitlPut

new

hey i am woundering if yall ever meat in san antonio? and i am 15 and wanted to know if yall have any younger members. i have been turning for over a year. would love to come to a meeting.

Top Bottom