CA Finish question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whitehat1994

Greetings,

I'm guessing the weather we are having right now isn't the best for CA finishing?
I turn some katolax, sanded and am trying to add the CA finish. I'm using medium CA.
When I apply a coat and spray with the accelerator the CA slings!
Instead of using the accelerator I attempt to let it dry naturally.
It seems to be drying slowly.
I have issues gluing the CA finish to the bushings.
The causes me to have to force them apart and leaving "chipped" spots on the ends of the turned blanks.
Any suggestions?

Thanks from a rookie!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Might be the CA. I had kind of the same issue a couple weeks ago. And after the stuff finally cured, it wound up spiderweb cracking. Aaarrrghhh !! Trashed the old CA (Stickfast) and got new stuff (Stickfast). Solved the issue.

lyonsacc

if you glue the bushings to the tube, you can use a sharp utility knife to score the ca and cut the blank off the tube. Just pulling or twisting it off will chip the ends. Then you can sand down the excess ca on the ends. I have started to use delrin (sp) bushings when I apply CA. It is a plastic and the ca doesn't stick to it as much as metal bushings. They are available at most of the usual vendors or you can turn some yourself.

Dan Masshardt

How fast are you turning?

I remember getting bushing stuck. Here is the progression I went through.

1. Used the point of a skew to cut a line between the pen and the bushing.

2. Used the delrin cone shaped mandrel bushings.

3. Used the delrin tbc finishing bushings

4. Apply ca to the blank directly on the bushings.

Once you are at 4. There's no reason to go back. ;-)

Whitehat1994

Rick, I'm turning katalox. The speed is as slow as the lathe will go when applying the CA. I guess the CA takes longer to set up in this central Texas cool weather.

I used my parting tool trying as help to separate the bushings and finished blank. I also saw on a YouTube applying wax on the end of the blank before applying CA.

I'm just too darn excited to finish this pen and start another, my carbide chisels came in yesterday!

beck3906

Bring a sample Saturday if you can make the meeting and we'll take a look. And I should quit responding to posts during work breaks as I miss critical info, as you were turning kata lox. Sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom