The 2010 Central Texas IAP Get-Together!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

These are the photos of the Central Texas IAP 2010 Get-Together. We had a great time with 27 members and some of their better halves attending, plenty of demos and idea sharing and to top it all off PLENTY of really good food. We want to thank Curtis for being a super host and Alan for herding us all into this event.

Here are some of the pics for the event. We would normally start with pics of the opening ceremony but the genius that was taking the photos (ME) forgot to insert a memory stick into the camera for the first hour of the event (and this was before the beers…it must be the Alumilite fumes getting to me…what fumes? It's Alumilite!) I also missed the pics for the second demo by Curtis; his now famous CA finish.

Anyway, first up was Curtis demoing (is that a word?) his sawmill. Side note: If anyone is interested I will do a group buy on these bec after seeing what it can do plenty of us decided we "needed" one.

1_544x408.jpg

2_544x408.jpg

Next is Mannie demoing how to make a carbide cutter styling a beautiful Hawaiian shirt.

3_408x544.jpg

5_544x408.jpg

4_544x408.jpg

12_544x408.jpg

Next was the Safety Demo by Allen. It is really interesting to learn all the many interesting ways you can get hurt while in the shop…we shared experiences and tips…and to think that there are still so many innovative ways to get hurt that we have yet to discover 

6_544x408.jpg

6a_544x408.jpg

This was our first break before lunch.

7_544x408.jpg

During Lunch.

7a_544x408.jpg

8_544x408.jpg

And after lunch.

9_544x408.jpg

10_544x408.jpg

Here is Mannie showing us how to make a 4 in one screwdriver, this is where he started stripping …notice that the shirt is now gone…but we won't go there…

11_544x408.jpg

13_544x408.jpg

And the final demo was Curtis showing us how to "fling a bowl blank" off the lathe. This was a staged demonstration (part of Alan's safety pitch). The blank flung "gracely" off the lathe missing Curtis. Then the final part of the demo was to show us how to remount, turn and finish the bowl. It was a great save, I was unable to get a pic of the finish bowl so Alan when you have a chance if you took a pic please post it for all to see.

14_544x408.jpg

15_544x408.jpg

16_544x408.jpg

And finally, Roscoe hung around with us all day and ensured we stayed protected. Note: don't step on Roscoe he does not like it 

17_544x408.jpg

Thanks all for the great company and enjoy the pics.

Eugene (aka "El Mostro")

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Actually, Eugene, I counted a total of 36 folks throughout the day. Some did not the whole time but I counted them. Pretty awesome attendance!! Thanks everyone for a great time!

JAB1

More pics

I will be posting a few more pics tonite....I have a few good ones to add, but Eugene pretty well summed it up....thanks for the pics, Eugene....Allan

Verne

Thanks to Curtis for the facilities, allan for the hard work of organizing, to Curtis for demoing his CA wizardry and his monster saw, Monty for his carbide thingy and who ever else I missed. And to Eugene for the blanks.
As my friend Ronnie is much older than I we had to leave early to get to Hosuton for his nap time. As we were leaving El Mostro (?) Eugene came running up to us to make sure we recieved the FREE blanks he had. Wow, I finally got a bean blank so promise to get the lathe cranked up again (it's not been on since Curtis' last) and try to turn some pens.
Thanks to everyone that participated, it was great meeting one and all.
This is definitley a "can't miss" affair!!!!!!
Vern

The Penguin

I started trying to leave and hit the road back to Houston around 5.

Didn't end up leaving till at least 8 pm.

oops.

:biggrin:

phillywood

Eugene's Free Blanks

Hey Eugene I missed out on your free blanks, and since I am kinda your nighbor you owe me two, I wish, huh? Hope that nap of your at the end rejouvenated you buddy.

I'd like to add my thanks also to Curtis for having this get together at his place. Really enjoyed meeting everyone and the demo's, not to mention the food. Looking forward to doing it again.
Doug H

Papa mark

Thanks to Curtis and all the others that helped put this event together. I had a great time, look forward to attending another one. Thanks again to Curtis for some of the free samples from the saw mill and some of his blanks as well. Great time and good meeting all of you that attended. I would like to suggest a sign-in sheet next time to be able to remember who all was there and the products that some of you offered for sale.

Top Bottom