Welcome to the Greater LA Sub-forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fafow

Joe,

It was really good meeting you on Saturday.

So does this mean we are going to have meetings etc? a chapter president, treasurer, etc? Activities? Contests? demonstrations? Just what is this chapter going to do? What do any of the chapters do?

But, I kind of like the idea of being in on the beginning of this whole local chapter thing. Do we get founding member hats or shirts? hah. I guess this local chapter will be whatever we want it to be??

Craig

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Two threads???

Hi All,
I was online a few days ago and somehow wound up on an evidently different thread. There were a few more people than I see here. And, of course, I said I'm glad to see this group and I've been waiting awhile . . . for someone ELSE to volunteer ;-)

So, Joe, did you start another thread? I think, because this one is linked to the shortcuts on the main page ("Greater LA") that we should keep this thread as our active local group thread. The only reason I got to the other thread is because I clicked on yout name/icon and found your other post.

Another thing that needs to be cleared up is that the "Greater LA area" on the main page is misleading as most of those are by state or area of our nation, I've assumed for quite awhle that "Greater LA area" meant Louisiana as it is known by post to be LA. Thar should be "So CA" or So Cal area or like that not to be confused with the great state of LA.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you so much for getting that changed on the front page. Hope more people around here sign in!

Oh, Joe, I'm "in" - CathySue

jcollazo

OK Folks.... What do we do now?

There are a number of questions that should be answered, like.. are we going to have officers? When and where should we meet? What activities (group buys, contests, table at fairs, etc.) should we be involved with? Where's our logo?

How about if you all to come up with your questions, post them here and let's work through them!

I would like to get a roster together. Please PM me your real name, IAP name and address. This list will not be made public.

Ok..... go!!!!!:cool:

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
pm sent. As for meeting places, I have a large yard:) and small shop:frown:. I doubt if I'm the most centrally located though.

DaveC

Hi, I'm Dave. I haven't been particularly active in IAP, but I've been a member for quite a while. A SoCal group sounds interesting. I haven't been turning much lately, and this could get me started again, I'd like that;)
I'm in Orange County, near Knott's Berry Farm (not far from Disneyland either).

KalKarl

Hi Joe, I'm Karl from down the road from you. I have the jointer set up in the shop, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I am just getting into pen turning and discovered the IAP about a month ago. My brain seems to be swimming with all the information here. I am looking forward to meeting fellow turners in the area. Cheers, Karl

jcollazo

Hey Karl, glad you made it! I'm also glad your head isn't swimming from the resin I gave you.

The workshop (garage) is cleaned up now and I have the anodizing tanks in place. I'll have you come over sometime to view the process.

In the mean time, have fun checking out what IAP has to offer.

Justdon83

Hello everyone. My name is Don and I am from Ontario, CA.
I am glad to see a chapter opening in So. Cal.
May I join?

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Lets see, there's only three Saturdays left before the start of the Christmas season:eek:
Depending on where and when it is I may not be able to attend on the 22nd but the others should be good.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
LosAngeles/SoCal Chapter meeting

Hey guys, we're going to be meeting on Nov. 29th 9am and the Denny's on Milliken off the 10 - Ontario - for breakfast and "go from there." Check in on that thread (1st meeting) so we can get an idea of who's coming.

Rocklers across the street will be having their "Early Bird" Special 7am-(I don't remember) . . . More info in other thread from people who have brains working a bit better than mine. I just wanted everybody to know.

Cathy Sue

KalKarl

Joe Collazo helped me get started casting a couple months back. I've only done a couple of pours so far, and those have been solid colors. Hope to try some swirl within a couple of months. It still seems kinda like mad science to me now (that might be me, and not the casting process.:rolleyes:)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
So is January 17th the day we're shooting for? Saturday morning at the Denny's off the 10 at Milliken in Ontario?

Same time? around 9am? That'd work for me.

Might want to check with others first, Sue. The 17th is okay with me, as is just about any other time/day, but seems as though afternoon or evening was more convenient for a few of the folks (see the thread on "our first meeting"). Whatever, whenever, I'll be there.

polarbear1

I'm Ok with anytime too - the Inland wood turners will be at the Ontario Rockler on the 17th, so I can help them some in the am and meet with the IAP group in the afternoon that day. Of course all the pen turners are welcome to stop by rockler there should be a few lathes set up with some wood turners demonstrating, maybe some of you can give them some pointers.

Thanks

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I didn't mean for my post back a ways to be an "official announcement." And I haven't checked with anyone yet. I just thought I'd see if we could start talking yeah or nay about it. Polarbear mentioned the 17th. So I just wanted to open it for discussion.

I'm outnumbered here, guys. I can work my schedule around whatever you all decide.

Joe is expecting a grandchild soon but I don't remember when. It'd be a good idea to check with him.

I'll come on the 17th any time you all settle on - or another day, if you want.

I should have an idea, then about how much inventory I have for the LA Pen Show. I don't want to make any promises yet. But I may have room on my table for some of your pens. I'm getting everything set up in the next few weeks so I can see what space I have on my table. I'll keep you all posted.

Okay, everyone, time is running very short, and I don't see a lot of input, so here is mine: I'll be at Denny's on Milliken Avenue in Ontario, just north of the I-10 freeway, and right across the street from Rockler, on SATURDAY, JANUARY 17, 2009, at 9:00am. If anyone else, ANYONE ELSE, wants to join me, I'll really enjoy seeing you there! Feedback would be much appreciated, and I'm looking forward to Saturday!

jcollazo

Shannon, I won't be at Denny's this time. I had signed up for a Saturday morning CNC programming class and it won't be over until noon. You guys have a great time and try to sell some more pens to the staff.:cool:

Top Bottom