Winter 2015 Meeting - Jan 25, 2015 - Planning & Discussion - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Michigan
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Winter 2015 Meeting - Jan 25, 2015 - Planning & Discussion

Use this thread to discuss the Winter meeting 2015 scheduled for January 25, 2015 ... Location is TBD.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Discussion Points from the Fall Meeting

A couple of things I want to discuss from the meeting earlier today.
  • A change in the start time of the meetings: We will start the 'New Pen Turner Tutorial' at 1:30 and the regular meeting at 2:00. This 30 minutes shift in the start times is to ease the 'rush' of getting from Sunday morning activities to the meeting. In my case I was almost late for the meeting and it was at my house. Others have mentioned that an extra 30 minutes between church and the meeting would be helpful.
  • The meeting schedule is tentatively set for:
    • January 25, 2015 [Sunday] (Loc: TBD)
    • April 26, 2015 [Sunday] (Loc: TBD)
    • July 25, 2015 [Saturday] (Loc: TBD)
    • October 25, [Sunday] 2015 (Loc: TBD)
    • January 24, [Sunday] 2016 (Loc: TBD)
  • We have someone checking these dates against other turning clubs in the area. Unless there's a conflict these are probably the dates (see next item).
  • We've been meeting on Sunday's for a couple of years knowing that some people just can't make it on Sunday. We are considering changing one (possibly 2) of the meetings to a Saturday. To help in that decision, please answer the following questions:
    • If you aren't attending the meetings because of the Sunday schedule, would you be able to attend on a Saturday? And how likely are you to do so.
    • If we changed to Saturday, would that prevent you from attending?
  • Please note that we need volunteers for locations.
  • Please note that we need to hear from you regarding what you would like to see as demos.
  • Please note that we need volunteers to do demos.

Last edited by j_b_fischer; 12-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.
j_b_fischer is offline   Top
Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Fall meeting & winter meeting.

Jim thanks for another great meeting. If you weren't there you missed the carved birds and fish. They were great along with the chili!! The extra 1/2 hour is ok. Sometimes we need all of that just to not be late!! I do not have a problem with 1 or 2 Saturday meetings a year. It may help some of our hiding members too attend!! Good to see the new members I hope they will continue to come and learn and share with us.!! Guys you missed a good meeting hope you had fun doing what you did!! Our meeting would of been more fun if you showed up!!

Pinelumber
pinelumber is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default I want to say thank you too ...

Pinelumber (Dennis) - I'll pass along your appreciation for the chili to my wife ... its her recipe and her effort.

And yes, thank you to those that attended.

Meeting Summary

The first-timers were Allan Jacob (IAP: designer) and Elaine Sherwin (IAP: <TBD>) along with her husband ... ahhh ... errr... Elaine's-Husband (henceforth Elaine's husband shall be known as Elaine's-Husband).

I'm glad you like the chili, but lets not forget to mention the Ohio-cookies, Michigan-cookies, and the brownies.

There were 8 people in attendance, which is a little lite, especially when three of the 8 were first-timers. I realize that life sometimes gets in the way and conflicts arise which prevent someone from attending. However, our attendance has been down for the last several meetings.

If you're interest has faded, please let me know why. If its the subject of pen turning, we spent more than half our time talking about 'other things we make'. Everyone does more than just pens. (BTW Leo, fantastic bird and fish carvings ... bring some more next time please).

If you aren't seeing enough new or educational stuff, well, tell us what you're interested in and we'll find someone to demo.

Yes, this is another plea for topics. If you would like to see or discuss a particular topic, let us know. Even if we've gone over the topic in the past, its OK. People need a refresher and some people will be seeing or hearing it for the first time.

Here are some topics I heard mentioned at the meeting (or in previous conversations). If you would like to help by sharing your knowledge, please let me know.
  • Casting - making some blanks
  • Casting - around the tube
  • Stabilizing wood (and making a vacuum chamber)

In our discussion (this thread) please comment on these topics and add topics to the list. I know we've done this before (I'll let you find the old thread and get more ideas), but its good to start again to see what topics resurface and to refresh our memories.

Meeting Dates: Pinelumber (Dennis) will check the calendar of the other clubs. (Dennis, just place a post in this thread.) Anyone impacted by the Sunday/Saturday questions should respond soon. I'll close down the debate and publish a final schedule on November 8.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default MNeeting dates

The five meeting dates you have suggested for next year are just fine. The Bluewater club meets on the the second Sunday of the month so we are good. I don't know what my wife has in store but those dates are good, so far.

Dennis
Pinelumber

Last edited by pinelumber; 10-28-2014 at 08:19 AM.
pinelumber is offline   Top
Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I am sorry I missed the meeting, I was almost a late change in plans attendee, but my Wife got called in for overtime, my Wife's schedule at work is changing in Jan. so I will only be able to make Sat, meetings unless I get a babysitter, so I have no problem with Sat. meetings.

Mike
2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
Brandon Twp. MI
Mike of the North is offline   Top
Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I am available either day depending on my work schedule and Boy Scout events.
Muggsy1776 is offline   Top
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

I enjoyed my first meeting...even though I missed the Lions winning field goal in London. It was worth it. There were replays after all.

Saturday or Sunday meetings are good with me. The only kids I have to take care of are walking on 4 legs. The dates suggested are fine with me.

The times are good for me as well and will not be a problem. Hopefully it will help others out.

Leo's work is phenomenal. He has a lot of patience and artistic ability and it shows.

Router bowls......interesting. Might just have to give that a try this year.

I would like to see a pine cone demonstration on prep and casting. Maybe casting with labels as well if possible.

Everyone at the meeting is as nice and pleasant as the IAP members online. It was a pleasure to meet everyone. As I told you when I left, tell your wife she done did great on the chili.

One thing I cannot do is host a meeting. My place is way to small.

Expect the best, plan for the worst and you will be ready for what comes!
designer is offline   Top
Old 11-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jim,

All the dates miss the DAW meetings. Saturdays will be OK with me, but April 25th would be bad for the DAW members as there will be a professional turner doing a demonstration for the club that day. I will send out a notice as soon as we have one. You are all welcome to attend. Hope the rest of my life does not get in the way so I can make another meeting soon.

Phil
pesbes is offline   Top
Old 11-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Jim, first, thanks for all your efforts to keep the meetings going.
Saturdays would work slightly better for me, but Sundays are good for me too. Summer's aren't as easy due to just being busy.
At the moment I can not offer my shop for meetings because it's too full of some beautiful woods I collected in the past year. No other place to store it. Not enough room to safely have others in my shop.

I can offer to do future demos. I could show how I make my Christmas Ornaments as well as the celtic knot inlay in my pens. I know it's a bit late for Christmas, but I could show the ornament demo in January.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread