Summer 2014 Meeting - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Michigan
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Summer 2014 Meeting

Location: Victor's house - 2430 Girard, Warren, MI 48092 ... 586-563-0441 (This is a corrected location!)

Date: Sunday, July 27th

Time: 1:30 for the regular meeting (with a 1:00 Tutorial for beginners)

At the spring meeting I asked those who were there about ideas for boosting attendance ... things we (or I) should do differently to make sure we were maintaining the interest level. We purposefully concluded nothing because I wanted the discussion to take place here on the forum. This is the thread for that discussion. Please feel free to comment on any aspect of our meetings that you think could improve.

While I'm putting everything on the table for discussion, there are some things that will require high levels of convincing before we change them. For example, we've learned through experience that having a set schedule is very important. So, while we might discuss the schedule, we will continue to set a schedule a year at a time.

I'll start ...

Demonstrations are important and difficult. Important because they are (IMHO) the key item that will draw people to the meetings. Difficult because very few people express their opinions on what they want to see and learn about. Once I have a topic in mind, it isn't too hard to find someone to demonstrate. You've herd me plea for suggestions in the past; we need to figure out a way to identify and schedule demonstrations.

BTW, to actually demonstrate doesn't always mean we have to turn on a piece of equipment. Watch someone turn something square into something round can be a little boring. So its OK to prepare a number of partially completed project pieces and 'talk-through' the project steps.

I'll develop a list of topics, including topics we've covered in the past, and post them later in this thread.

Leadership of the group does not involve a lot of effort. But perhaps that is part of the problem (that I think there isn't much to it). Maybe others would like to have a more active role. For example, does anyone want to take charge of the raffle & trinkets? How about someone owning the demonstration topics and getting them scheduled? (Gee, sound like a leadership team.)

OK ... There's a start, lets discuss !

BTW, before we get started I want to make sure that you understand that I am not at all whining about my role in the local chapter. I'm only concerned that interest may be waning for some of you and we aren't reaching others that would benefit from our face-to-face pen (and wood working) information exchanges. The primary measurement of our success is attendance, so I'm trying to get attendance up to where I think it should be. I thank each of you for your support of the group; I hope to see all of you a the July meeting.

OK ... lets discuss...

Last edited by j_b_fischer; 07-10-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Corrected meeting location
j_b_fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Email Addresses ...

I just sent an email to everyone with a pointer to this thread. If you didn't get that email then I don't have your email address. If you would like to receive email-reminders of our meetings please let me know (PM or email ... or call 734-325-3746).

Jim
Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States of America
Photos: 36

Hi Jim,

My calendar is free. No Ball Game (I work for the Tigers) and no Band Concerts so all that is great. The question is: Is the meeting site wheelchair accessible?

Regards,

Ernie
oneleggimp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 6

First a comment: You stated tha the next meeting is at your house (Studio), the schedule call for it to be at Victors. Which is correct?
Now suggestions for demo's:
1) A small (emphasis on size) hollow form,
2) Off center turning,
3) Turning a Finial,
4) Using some of the tools for "special" decoration on pens and other turnings.
Just some ideas to kick around.
I think it would be a good idea to divide up some of the work (not that you don"t do a great job, you do!) but it would cause some to feel a greater part of the group.
As to increasing participation, talking up the group to outsiders is one way. Every time I go to Woodcraft and see someone in the pen isle I talk to them and ask if they belong to IAP? Then I talk up the Michigan Chapter to them. Perhaps Matt (Woodcraft) would allow us to put up a flyer about a month prior to the next meeting.
Well that is my two cents worth.

scotirish
Work safe!
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
scotirish is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Meeting Location ... My House - Victor's - Whereever

The schedule in the Our Next Meeting topic shows my house as the next meeting. The summer meeting was at Victors at one time; I don't remember when the change was made. The date, however, has not changed.

Victor ... any thoughts ... do you remember why/when the location changed? Actually, its a moot point. Can you deal with a potential 'cool weather' (October) meeting?

For that matter, if anyone else wants to host, please say something now so we can effectively plan.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Your suggestions: Good ideas. I'll let others comment more and see what list we can build. I've also had a request to "don't forget the beginner", which translates to repeating some of our previous topics, such as using CA as a finish, segmented (Celtic knot) pens, etc. On a personal note, I haven't had time to learn closed end pen making and would like to have another tutorial.

As for dividing up the work .. I'm game. Those of you who are interested please PM me. I'll then organize a group discussion. I think having a leadership team in place will help me stay accountable (i.e. not letting me wait to the last minute). I see the work falling into the following buckets:
  1. Meeting Logistics
  2. Demo Management
  3. Raffle & Trinkets
  4. Marketing
You might think of others ... please do.

The Woodcraft store on my side of town is very supportive. I've placed fliers in the past, but usually only when the meeting is on the west side (my house). I'd also like some help in organizing a 'corporate outreach' program. I'm thinking someone contact any number of companies that have a reasonable number of employees, find out from their offices if anyone inside the company is a (pen) turner. Then ask permission to reach out to that person. After that, the individual spreads the word within the company (that way HR and Security won't have to worry about outsiders posting fliers, etc.).

That's it for now ... keep the comments coming.

Thanks ... Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotirish View Post
First a comment: You stated tha the next meeting is at your house (Studio), the schedule call for it to be at Victors. Which is correct?
Now suggestions for demo's:
1) A small (emphasis on size) hollow form,
2) Off center turning,
3) Turning a Finial,
4) Using some of the tools for "special" decoration on pens and other turnings.
Just some ideas to kick around.
I think it would be a good idea to divide up some of the work (not that you don"t do a great job, you do!) but it would cause some to feel a greater part of the group.
As to increasing participation, talking up the group to outsiders is one way. Every time I go to Woodcraft and see someone in the pen isle I talk to them and ask if they belong to IAP? Then I talk up the Michigan Chapter to them. Perhaps Matt (Woodcraft) would allow us to put up a flyer about a month prior to the next meeting.
Well that is my two cents worth.

Last edited by j_b_fischer; 05-08-2014 at 12:18 AM.
j_b_fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Both my place and Victor's would be accessible to the shop, but neither shop has running water ... both have some steps to overcome for accessing bathrooms. For that matter, it was the same at Dan's ... easy access to the shop; steps to get to plumbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneleggimp View Post
Hi Jim,

My calendar is free. No Ball Game (I work for the Tigers) and no Band Concerts so all that is great. The question is: Is the meeting site wheelchair accessible?

Regards,

Ernie
Old 05-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Something along the lines for beginners would be a sharpening demo. I know i could probably use some help in that area
CrimsonKeel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

another idea was a real PITH toss one in pick one out
CrimsonKeel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for asking for suggestions. I am wanting to move toward kit-less pen making. So discussing how to plan out thread sizes and how to cut them would be great.

Troy, Michigan
Texan in Exile
bcul01 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads