Summer 2013 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Use this thread to help plan the Summer-2013 Meeting.

At this point, Victor's place is the likely location, but its still very early.

Mostly, I'd like to hear from you on topics you would like to cover. Ask away ! There's enough experience out there to find people to address any question/topic you might want to see demonstrated, explained, or talked about.

Let's talk about these things first. We we get close to the meeting date, then we'll cover logistic topics regarding who is bring what snack.

Thanks to everyone for you interest and support.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

pinelumber

April meeting thanks

Jim great meeting as usual. Thanks for allowing me to bring Jim Armstrong from Bluewater for pens for troops. It is a great thing to get involved with. You guys missed a great meeting!!

Dennis
Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Who is willing to teach ...

Our next meeting will be in July ... the perfect time to think about Christmas gifts.

At our recent meeting Bluewater-Jim told a story about a Christmas Ornament challenge the Bluewater Turning Club took on last year. This got me thinking about what I'm going to make for all my relatives this year.

Would anyone like to take on the task of organizing an Ornament Demo? And I'm thinking it would be more than just showing someone how to turn a hunk of wood and/or make a finial. Something like:
  • Gather several patterns
  • Make-up some examples (perhaps, at various stages of completion) for the various methods that can be used (I know there' several ways to make them ... I just haven't done it).
  • Let everyone know ahead of time what size blanks they'll need ... maybe some of us could prepare some blanks for the raffle table.
What do yah think ???

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Safety Notice ...

At our recent meeting it was pointed out that we were in a vary dangerous environment ... the comment went something like "...gee, 10 guys in an enclosed space, all eating chili could lead to disaster."

Please - no one tell OSHA or we'll have to shut down the meetings!

Last edited:

scotirish

Based on the last two comments (by you) I missed something else besides a good meeting. :eek::eek: If anyone is interested I know of a place to get used gas masks. (OSHA) approved. :tongue::tongue:
Ron

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Demos Anyone???

So far we have two suggestions for demonstrations at the upcoming meeting.
  1. Looking for someone to do a bowl demonstration.
  2. Looking for someone to teach us how to do Christmas Ornaments.
If you are interested, please PM (or call) me ... I'd like to discuss what I have in mind before you commit to doing a demo.

I'm hoping we can do both of these at the July meeting.

Keep the suggestions coming in ... we'll squeeze in what we can, and hold the rest for the next meeting.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
5 weeks to go ... time to plan the meeting

Please read through the thread thus far and add your comments. I'm looking for demo suggestions and demo volunteers.

Is the Christmas ornament idea OK? Any takers on demo-ing. I'll show one method for making ornaments, who would like to demonstrate another (so PM me so we don't duplicate methods).

Anyone interested in managing the Pen-for-Troops connection with te Blue-Water Turning Club?

How about the Cancer program current underway by IAP ... I ordered some kits ...has nyone else?

Only 5 weeks ... lets talk it up.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Another Idea ...

I tend to sharpen my tools by grinding them. This is because when I try to hone them with a stone, I seem to make them duller than when I started.

Anyone care to take a stab at teaching the rest of us how to properly sharpen?

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
YAI (Yet Another Idea) ...

Hollowing??? Perhaps a demo (discussion of the proper tools to use, techniques, how to get an even thickness to the walls ... whatever you woud like to demo ...

Any volunteer?

pinelumber

pens for troops

since i am an overlap both IAP and BAW i will be honored to handle it for our club. Believe it or not slimlines are what fits best in their uniforms.

Dennis
Pinelumber

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Email Sent

I just sent an email to everyone who gave me their email address (or have them defined in their IAP profile).

If you didn't receive the email and would like to receive such meeting reminders in the future please PM me with your email address.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Dennis,

Thanks for taking on the Pen-For-Troops (PFT) coordination function. I'll PM you with some thoughts on what we should do.

See you soon,

Jim

since i am an overlap both IAP and BAW i will be honored to handle it for our club. Believe it or not slimlines are what fits best in their uniforms.

Dennis
Pinelumber

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Location Reminder

Three weeks from yesterday ... don't forget the meeting n July 28 at 2430 Girard, Warren, MI 48092 (Victor's hoouse - 586-563-0441).

A couple of people hve already confimred (thank you ... 1 yes, 1 no), please do likwise so we have an idea on headcount.

Please bring as many guests as you can find !!!!

Also, continue in this thread any discussion on demo's (wanted, to volunteer to give ... if not for this meeting, then give us ideas for subsequent meetings).

Don't forget - a few of us need to bring some snacks ... Victor, any advice?

Glenn will be joining us for this meeting (doesn't happen often because of his work schedule).

Jeff Brown (founder of IAP) will also be joining us from Cleveland. He wants to how we run our meetings ... I think that means we need to behave ourselves.

Talk/type to you all soon.

Jim

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Current Plan - Just 2 weeks to go !

OK - Here's the current status of the up coming meeting.

July 28, 1:30 (newbies should arrive 30 minues early for free tutorial)

Victor's House
2430 Girard, Warren, MI 48092
586-563-0441

Topics (in no particular order)

Show-N-Tell - bring smething to show off. If it is't a pen (or 5 pens), then bring something else you made in your shop. Tell us if you're seeking advice, a critique, or if we're just supposed to oooh and aaah.

Pen-For-Troops (PFT) - Dennis has volunteered to coordinate the PFT activities between us an BAW. He'll give us an overview of how things are supposed to work for those of us who want to participate.

Quill Pen - Glenn will be there nd will show us how he makes quill pens. I've seen tis demo ... the quill pen is easy (if you have the correct tools), straightforward, and makes a unique writing instrument for calligraphers and artists.

Hollowing (Ornaments) - Glenn has also volunteered to demonstrate how to hollow small items. Our focus is to be ornaments so we can all start preparing our Christmas gifts now. HOWEVER, since Glenn is also demonstrating his quill pen, I'm trying not to over work him. Anyone else interested in doing the hollowing/ornament demo?

IAP BC - Jeff Brown, the founder of IAP (hence 'BC' - Big Cheese) is plannng on attending just to spend some time with us to see how our group operates.

---------------------

It's time to respond (if you haven't already done so) for a head count.

It's also time to volunteer to bring:
  • Diet soft drinks
  • Regular soft drinks
  • Cups & Ice for the soft drinks
  • Salty snacks
  • Sweet Snacks
PM me (or give me a call 734-545-326) if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

See you all in 2 weeks.

Jim

Last edited:

wrightd313

I will definitely be there. I am looking forward to it. By the way, has anyone tried the fishing rod kit from Penn State? I am looking at that for christmas gifts.

Just so everyone knows I'm running 20% off everything wood during July,sorry had to promote myself.As far as food goes I'll let you guys figure it out I will have all the paper products and something extra.Look forward to seeing everyone.Victor

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
1 Week to go!

1 week (and a little over 4 hours) to go.

If I counted correctly, we have 1 'regret-can't-make-it', about 11 'yes-I'll-be-there' ... that leaves about 15 no-responses. If you didn't see someone's name (earlier in this thread), feel free to call them with a gentle reminder. I'll send another email reminder shortly.

As for activities, I'll make some phone calls to confirm the plan, but the conversation in this thread indicates we have a casting demo (Victor), and an ornament (small hollowing) demo and a calligraphy pen demo, both by Glenn.

There's still time if you want to volunteer.

And of course, show and tell time can be just as effective and interesting for sharing skills and techniques. So if you don't want to 'show us' how to make something, bring the finished item and explain it.

BTW - everyone is supposed to bring something for show-n-tell. It really helps the conversation. Show-n-tell always generates questions, suggestions, and general sharing of ideas.

Sweets & diet pop are covered ... let's not forget salty snacks, regular pop, cups & ice.

Talk/type to you all soon.

Jim

pesbes

Food

I will bring a couple of bags of chips. And yes, I am planning to attend. I am interested in the casting demo as well as the others that have been discussed. See you Sunday at 1:00 ish.

Phil

keithbyrd

I appreciate the invite but I will not be able to make this meeting. Would love to attend and meet everybody. Our church service ends at 12 and by the time I could get home, change clothes and travel to location the meeting would be half over. Occasionally I could plan on leaving early but this Sunday I have some responsibilities that prevent that. Have a great meeting and I will try next time!

PeetyInMich

Looks like I will be there. At least for a little while (I have to drop the wife off in Plymouth for the concourse and pick her up around 5 PM) so I have a brief window of opportunity. PM me if you guys me to bring need anything specific, otherwise I will bring some random snacks from the corner store and some other miscellany for the prize pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom