Fall Meeting - 2014 (October 26th)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Please use this thread to discuss the Fall meeting of the Michigan Chapter of the IAP.

The meeting will be on Sunday, October 26th at Fischer's house (6007 Justine, Belleville, MI 48111)

We will start at the usual time ... 1:00 for newbies (free tutorial), 1:30 for the regular meeting.

The posts in this thread should discuss demonstrations (what you want to see and/or what you would like to demonstrate); meeting logistics (who's bringing what refreshment, etc.); and those of you from the far east side might want to figure out some ride sharing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
First couple of topics ...

1. At the business portion of the meeting we will need to remember to confirm the 2015 schedule.
  2. The Winter 2015 meeting is already on the calendar ... but we don't yet have a location.
  3. At the Summer Meeting, it was suggested that Christmas Ornaments be the topic of a demonstration for the October meeting (just in time for making those hand crafted Christmas gifts). The current thinking is one demonstration on the hollow ball (ornament) and a separate demonstration for a matching finial.
  4. HOWEVER ... this was just a suggestion from those present at the meeting. We need to discuss other ideas with the larger (online) group ... what would you like to see and/or volunteer to demonstrate?

OK ... let's start discussing ...

pinelumber

Summer meeting

Victor thanks for hosting the summer meeting. Thanks for all of the wood. I sure hope you do not get cold because we stole all of your fuel!!

Dennis
Pinelumber :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Jpdriver01

Fall meeting

Do we bring anything to the meeting? Is it mostly discussion and demo? I plan to come to the next meeting just want to make sure I've got anything that's necessary with me. Sounds fun!

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Do we bring anything to the meeting? Is it mostly discussion and demo? I plan to come to the next meeting just want to make sure I've got anything that's necessary with me. Sounds fun!

I see you found the forum ...

What to bring? We encourage people to bring a pen and non-pen project for show-and-tell. The better show-and-tell discussions happen when you bring something that didn't turn out so well ... you'll get 2N pieces of advice on how to fix it (where N is the number of people in attendance).

Looking forward to meeting you.

Jim

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Call for Demo Volunteer

So far, for the fall meeting, there is a suggestion to demonstrate how to make hollow Christmas ornaments. This would be just in time for the Christmas Holiday. The thinking is to have one demonstration for the hollow ball portion of the ornament, and a second demonstration for the finial. Here's a couple of additional thoughts.

• We don't have to stick with this plan. If there is something else you would like to see, now is the time to say something.
  • I need a volunteer for these two demonstrations.
  • I'd prefer to have two volunteers, just to get more people involved.
  • You don't need to do the entire ornament in the demo. Having some partially complete (and a completed) ornament is allowed ... maybe even recommended.
  • You'll have access to a Rikon midi-lathe. I have skews, scrapers and the like, but I don't have any hollowing tools (you'd likely want to use your own tools anyway).

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
One month to go ...

The October 26th meeting will be here before we know it.

If you are reading this post and didn't get an email reminder (sent 9/26 at about 9:15 am) and would like to receive email reminders, let me know and I'll add you to the distribution list.

The meeting will be at Jim Fischer's (that's me) house at 6007 Justine St., Belleville, MI 48111, starting at 1:00 for newbies (free tutorial) and 1:30 for the regular meeting.

I've been doing some work on my shop and will have plenty for our show-n-tell segment. Everyone else needs to BRING A SHOW-N-TELL ITEM.

The planned demos are: A) shaping and hollowing the ball for a Christmas Tree Ornament; and B) the making of a finial for that same ornament.

The demonstrator can (if they would like) prepare a couple if partially complete pieces for the sake of discussion, or (if they can take the pressure) turn the whole thing start to finish during the demo.

PROBLEM: I need one or two people to demonstrate. Please volunteer if you've made ornaments in the past.

Pretty soon we'll be looking for volunteers to bring snacks and such ... I usually make some chili, is that OK with everyone? Or would you like something else?

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

scotirish

Unfortunately I do not think I will be able to attend the meeting. I have some health issues that have kept me pritty much tethered to the house with occasional visits to the Dr. office or the hospital. I most likely have a operation in my future and recovery time to follow. Will miss you all.
Ron

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Bummer ...

Bummer on your health issues. I hope it isn't too serious. If there's anything you need me/us to do, let us know.

Bummer on your absence, but I guess you have a good enough excuse.

Keep us posted ...

Jim

pesbes

Jim,

I will not be able to attend either as my wife has me working on our new lake house near Tawas. I have missed a bunch of meetings, but keep me on the list and I will try to make one soon.

Phil

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Jim,

I will not be able to attend either as my wife has me working on our new lake house near Tawas. I have missed a bunch of meetings, but keep me on the list and I will try to make one soon.

Phil

Tawas ?!?!?!

Lake House !?!?!?!

Do you think we could have a week long pen meeting at your place next summer during peak fishing season? How many does it sleep? Bob will bring some cookies and I'll bring some fishing poles. Let us know.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I'm back...

I've been out of town for the past week attending a niece's wedding. The wedding was in Tennessee, so my wife and I spent a few days in the Smoky Mntns.

The recent posts are all bummers. Too bad those guys can't make it. We need to hear from those that will be attending so we can estimate food, etc. Also, its time people sign up to bring soft drinks, snacks, etc.

Still looking for that special someone who can demonstrate hollow ornaments and finials.

Other topics that I'll go over are:
  1. Recent upgrades to my shop (helpful hints on a dust collection system)
  2. The build process for end grain cutting boards.
  3. The build process for bowls that aren't round (no lathe involved).

Other topics to discuss will be:
  • The 2015 schedule
  • Changes in roles and responsibilities
There's still time to request topics (maybe someone will know of, and will demonstrate whatever topic in which you're interested).

pinelumber

Sunday meeting

I plan on being at the meeting looks like I will be the only one eating Betty's cookies!! I have a blue water meeting tuesday I will see if any of them want to make the loooooong drive to Belleville. I will post again after that meeting.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I plan on being at the meeting looks like I will be the only one eating Betty's cookies!! I have a blue water meeting tuesday I will see if any of them want to make the loooooong drive to Belleville. I will post again after that meeting.

What are you talking about ? I don't think its a very long drive to Belleville at all.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Everyone should check in please ...

So far, out of 32 people on my email reminder list (and not everyone who visits the Michigan forum or attends the meetings is on the list), there have been 3 nays (mostly family conflicts) and 2 confirmed yeahs.

It would help a lot if the other 27 would check in ... thanks.

Jim

P.S. If you are reading this and haven't been getting my email reminders (and want to), send me a PM or email (j_b_fischer@comcast.net) and I'll add you to the distribution list.

Leo S. Long

I should be there but I do not know what the rest of the week will bring. Should know for sure by Friday, but I am planning to be there.

Leo

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Drathers ...

So what are your druthers (a southern expression meaning 'what would you rather have').

Chili or Hot dogs ...

Please let me know which you prefer (we'll have one or the other based on interest). This implies, of course, you'll be letting me know if you'll be there ... I need an accurate head count.

Details - the chili will not have beans, or the hot dogs will be on the grill.

Please answer sooner than later since others, who need to volunteer soon (now?), will be bringing soft drinks (diet and industrial strength), salty snacks and sweet snacks.

Remember:
  • Tutorial for newbies at 1:00
  • Meeting starts at 1:30
  • Bring something for show-n-tell
  • We'll continue our habit of a raffle table
  • Bring tools or other stuff to swap if you wish (I have a Wolfcraft router table up for grabs)
  • Bring a friend

pinelumber

Sunday go to meeting meeting

I'll bring diet pop! Their may be one coming from the blurwater club. He wold be coming from almost Port Huron.

Pine Lumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Muggsy1776

Jim,

I apologize for this almost last minute message but I will not be able to make it sunday. I was waiting to see what was going to happen with my work and it now looks like I will be needed that day. I've been working so much this year that I've not made a pen since January. My projects are beyond backing up and I'm hoping winter time slows things down for me.

Ed

designer

I will give up the Lions game in London to be there. I am looking forward to my first meeting of people in the group. Tentatively I will have one other with me.

Jpdriver01

So far, out of 32 people on my email reminder list (and not everyone who visits the Michigan forum or attends the meetings is on the list), there have been 3 nays (mostly family conflicts) and 2 confirmed yeahs.

Jim

P.S. If you are reading this and haven't been getting my email reminders (and want to), send me a PM or email (j_b_fischer@comcast.net) and I'll add you to the distribution list.

I managed to break my leg a couple weeks ago. See you in 10 weeks!:)

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader

Jim

I managed to break my leg a couple weeks ago. See you in 10 weeks!:)

You should have come anyway ... I've got a staple gun - I could have fixed you right up!

Recover quickly ... see you at the next meeting.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom