Is a group buy of sandpaper possible?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Has a group buy of sandpaper ever been considered? Say something like the 1" X 50 yds. Shop Rolls that Hut Products advertises. (items 1132, 1133, 1134, 1136).

Or does anyone have something better to offer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Hi Mack,

I have a large selection of inventory in sheet form (9.5"x 11") all made in the USA under the HERMES brand. Given that you are in Whitby and I'm in Woodbridge, shipping is not an issue. Send a PM and I'll see if I can assist.

johnnycnc

Mack, just 2 cents here, but most of the rolls are cloth backed and seem quite stiff to me.
The ones I have tried,I can't get them to conform to the blanks very well, and they clog badly.
I tried Klingspor gold rolls they are a bit softer, but they load up also.

My #1 preference in wood and acrylic after skew/gouge work is 3M Gold, marked
Fre-Cut on the back, It is sold in packs at home centers under name of SandBlaster.
I find it to resist clogging better than anything else I have tried.
I wear old shirts when turning, and what would stick badly to normal paper can be wiped off on my shirt and I sand some more.
I believe it is treated with something.
Never an issue with finish contamination however.
It has a very consistent grit as well, so no random scratches
when using finer grits from the stray larger grit particles that can be found on cheap sandpaper.
I can get it up to 600 grit at an auto body shop also, I rarely go past the 600 on wood.
I get the 9.5X11 sheets and cut them into strips.
Norton 3X is a close second in my experience.
Hope you find what you want.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mack, just 2 cents here, but most of the rolls are cloth backed and seem quite stiff to me.
Hi John; You've given me some good info here! Thanks. It's the J weight I prefer that will conform to the roundness of the pen.

My #1 preference in wood and acrylic after skew/gouge work is 3M Gold, marked
Fre-Cut on the back, It is sold in packs at home centers under name of SandBlaster.
I find it to resist clogging better than anything else I have tried.
I wear old shirts when turning, and what would stick badly to normal paper can be wiped off on my shirt and I sand some more.
I believe it is treated with something.
Never an issue with finish contamination however.
It has a very consistent grit as well, so no random scratches
when using finer grits from the stray larger grit particles that can be found on cheap sandpaper.
I can get it up to 600 grit at an auto body shop also, I rarely go past the 600 on wood.
I get the 9.5X11 sheets and cut them into strips.
I was able to get 2 packs of 320 & 400 today, but no 600. I tried it last night, and am very impressed. No clogging, and cleaning it off is a cinch.
Norton 3X is a close second in my experience.
I got a couple of packs of each in this as well, but still no 600.

Are you saying the 600 you get at an auto body shop is sandpaper or is it the wet/dry type?

Top Bottom