Anyone ever meetingup in Edmond OK?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SJScher

I am fairly new to turning, but learning fast and spending way too much. Was wondering if there is an actual chapter of us turners in Emond or even close by in OKC?

Sandy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buddy Stacy

I am fairly new to turning, but learning fast and spending way too much. Was wondering if there is an actual chapter of us turners in Emond or even close by in OKC?

Sandy

I am in Tahlequah. My daughter and her husband live in OKC. Don't get up that way too often but if you get a meeting organized, let me know.

Buddy's Custom Creations

OklaTurner

Paul in OKC and I have had a brief mention of pulling together a meeting in the OKC/Edmond area. It hasn't happened yet because I have many things happening this June.

Would you like for it to be a "turning" meeting or just "bring your work and chat" type of thing. I don't have a garage with enough electricity to set up but one lathe.

Micah

SJScher

setting up a meeting

I think the first meeting might just be a bring anything to show and chat a bit to get to know each other and see what we are up to. Also to see how many persons we might have in the area interested.

Paul in OKC

Sounds like we need to make something happen! I have enough outlets, and two lathes, but my space is cramped with other things or I would volunteer my garage. (some day ) I do know of a shop at a church I used to attend. Can check on use of that for a meeting. Otherwise, the lunch/bring some stuff meet and greet sounds awesome for a start. I used to turn with some guys up in Edmond, but that has been some time ago.

Paul in OKC

Check the WoodCraft store in Oklahoma City, and see if you can meet in their classroom. That is what the Georgia chapter does.

The Georgia chapter meets in OKC's classroom. Interesting!! :biggrin:

Paul...did you turn with a group that called themselves "Mantown"? They meet off 33rd just east of Boulevard on Tuesday nights.

I did! Mark and Chris and.........Haven't seen any of them in a while. Ran into Mark at a movie theater a few years ago. We are FB friends.

eharri446

The Georgia chapter meets in the Woodcraft classroom in Atlanta GA. Not OKC. That would be a bit much of a drive to go to the meeting.

However, I may be taking a trip to OKC to see my brother some time this summer. We grew up in the Village and then when I graduated from John Marshall I went in the military and wound up in the south when I got out.

OklaTurner

Paul,

Kerry Campbell had a heart attack about a year ago. He said it was pretty bad. He may still be doing a lot of recovery work.

I had talked with him about doing a reunion meeting with all the Mantown guys. I didn't turn for very long with that group but sure enjoyed learning from the men that attended. Michael Kelsey was my boss at that point. He's the one that invited me to the group.

It's definitely a small world!

Micah

SJScher

Looks like we at least have some interest in getting together. I might stop by the WoodCraft store this week and talk to them about having a meeting there in the very near future.

OklaTurner

Looks like we at least have some interest in getting together. I might stop by the WoodCraft store this week and talk to them about having a meeting there in the very near future.

I asked them about it when I was there on Saturday. They said they only host their own classes in the room. However, I got the impression they thought I was asking to use the room for hosting a turning meeting. I just wanted to use it to have a place to visit while sharing our work.

Hopefully, you can explain it to them in a better way than I could.

Thanks,
Micah

Artpick

If you do meet at woodcraft I just might try and come up. I am up there at least once a week anyway.
The only bad thing a bout me going to woodcraft is I can not get out of there for under $100.00
My paycheck should just be direct deposit to them lol.

Kenessl

We do have a woodturning club in the OKC area. Central Oklahoma Woodturners Association
The club dues are $30.00 a year. We are starting up a sub-group for the pen turners.
September 21-22 we will have Kurt Hertzog at the club giving a class for kitless pens. This class is only open to the membership. The cost of the class is $100.00 If anyone in the OKC area is interested, I suggest that you visit the club's web site and go to the next meeting. The demonstration for next month is a turned cowboy hat.
If you have any questions please contact me.

Paul in OKC

I found something on Craigslist and got instructions for where to see it. About half way there I thought, hey, this is at Ken's place! Fun visit yesterday and he told me about Kurt coming to town. Would still like to touch base with this group before hand, if we can!

SJScher

So far the people at the WoodCraft store have not gotten back to me about holding a meeting there (unusual since they normally are pretty good about responding to questions). Any suggestions for another place to maybe even just hold a meet and greet type meeting without any turning? Maybe show a few things we have all been working on and get to know each other a bit.

Top Bottom