February meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
A date for our next IAP meeting has been selected.

February 21 at noon.

The meeting will be at the new Woodcraft store located at:
14115 W. Greenfield Ave.
New Berlin, Wi
The new store is located a few miles west of Hwy 100 on Greenfield in the Greenfield Plaza.

I'm still looking for ideas for an agenda and volunteers for demos.

At the meeting I'd like to do a "Show and tell" of your latest projects so bring in some of your "stuff". We'll also do a blank exchange.

Any ideas/volunteers would be greatly appreciated so feel free to PM me or post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please repeat!

I don't care which it is, but last I heard we were firm on the 28th.

Is 21st now correct and final???

thanks for confirming!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Dave, and thanks for taking the lead while Mike is adjusting to fatherhood!!!

So Who's coming?????? What do we want to do for demos???

(As a courtesy, "exotics" does not sell at meetings at Woodcraft, but we will deliver orders after the meeting, if you order in advance)

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
Dave,

Thanks again for all the help!! It is greatly appreciated!

Per our phone converstation, I should be able make this date. I will send out an e-mail to everyone on my list in the next couple days to make sure everyone is aware of the date, location, and the need for demos or agenda items.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

FYI - I have updated the "Meeting agenda ideas" and "Our Next Meeting" sticky posts...

Last edited:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Countdown begins!!!

NEXT Sunday is the day!!

That's right, the next meeting is next Sunday the 21st at noon.
We will be at the new Woodcraft store located at:
14115 W. Greenfield Ave.
New Berlin, Wi
The new store is located a few miles west of Hwy 100 on Greenfield in the Greenfield Plaza.

We will be meeting downstairs.

The agenda will be demos on:
Pendants
Segmented pen blanks
Cartridge pen
and a Sierra pen.

We will also have a blank exchange. Bring in some blanks and leave with some new stuff to turn.

I'd planning on having some free stuff to hand out but haven't received it yet. We'll see what the mail brings.

See you sunday.

arkie

I just cut 16 plum blanks. They should be fully dry, and 8" long to compensate for end checks. If there is interest, I can bring a few chunks of nearly dry apricot. Blank exchange, or trade for what have you.

If anybody wants to trade some figured or burl blanks or half blanks, I can bring some plum or apricot in the log. PM in advance if you want me to bring that.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn is planning to bring a bunch of "not ready for sale" blanks.

IF you know how to fill small holes, you wanna be there!!!

arkie

I just started slabbing some box elder burl I've been tripping over for the past year. Will trade for just about anything I can use. Only thing I'm actually looking for is cartridge kits and bushings to go with some deer antler I've acquired.

It's worth the trip just for Ed's freebies!

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I just started slabbing some box elder burl I've been tripping over for the past year. Will trade for just about anything I can use. Only thing I'm actually looking for is cartridge kits and bushings to go with some deer antler I've acquired.

It's worth the trip just for Ed's freebies!

Jon is doing a demo on cartridge pens.
I can bring some rifle brass is anyone is interested.

arkie

I kinda need to make one for the guy who gave me the antlers and some ground venison as well. I'll buy kit and bushings if needed. I don't think I'm up to making my own just yet, but Jon might get me there.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I stopped by Woodcraft today and talked to Chris (the owner). He's willing to give IAP members a 10% discount the day of the meeting. We'll take a break during the meeting so you can pick up anything you may need.

arkie

I'll probably buy a cartridge pen kit or two with bushings. Besides being a fine fellow, Chris does an awful lot to support the woodturning and general woodworking communities. It's in all our interests to support him as much as we can.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I'll probably buy a cartridge pen kit or two with bushings. Besides being a fine fellow, Chris does an awful lot to support the woodturning and general woodworking communities. It's in all our interests to support him as much as we can.

Chris has always done a lot to support the Milwaukee Area Woodturners Club including supporting us with out booth at the wood show. He gave us 800 magazines to hand out and let us use a new Nova DVR lathe to do demos on. He even moved it for us.

We'll also have coffee, popcorn, snacks and bottled water at the meeting.

Last edited:

Jason Swanson

I plan on being there. I plan on bringing segments and showing how I put them together. I'll also explain how to set up your tablesaw to cut the segments safely and accurately.

I'm still learning how to use this new-fangled internet communication thingy, but I'll try and post some pics soon...

LabTrnr

arkie, there isn't a cartridge "kit and bushings" needed. If you have cigar and slimline bushings and access to empty cartridges then you have all you need. One of the cigar bushings is about the size of the primer end of a 30-06 caliber cartridge (30-06 is one of the more common calibers). You can also turn without a bushing, just measure with a caliper. Prepping the cartridge is simple, drilling the primer out is probably the worst of it. ***DISCLAIMER*** DO NOT TRY TO DRILL AN UNFIRED PRIMER!!!
As you will see, cartridge pens are easy to make.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
arkie, there isn't a cartridge "kit and bushings" needed. If you have cigar and slimline bushings and access to empty cartridges then you have all you need. One of the cigar bushings is about the size of the primer end of a 30-06 caliber cartridge (30-06 is one of the more common calibers). You can also turn without a bushing, just measure with a caliper. Prepping the cartridge is simple, drilling the primer out is probably the worst of it. ***DISCLAIMER*** DO NOT TRY TO DRILL AN UNFIRED PRIMER!!!

I'll bring some rifle brass if anyone's interested.

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
I'd deffinetly be interested if it looks easy enough... :wink:

This is really shaping up to be a great meeting! I can't wait!!

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Update

Looks like all IAP members that attend will be getting a lazer pen kit. To be fair these will be handed out at random.

Wezzer1994 (my 15 year old granddaughter) will not be able to do her demo and show off her skill with a skew. Next time.

Woodcraft will be giving a 10% discount to IAP members Sunday.

Don't forget to bring some of you latest creations to show off.

See everyone Sunday.

Last edited:

arkie

I've got slimline bushings and I bet I can get the others at the Woodcraft store.

gwisher

This sounds like fun! I was just looking at the local chapters and since we don't have one for MN I thought I could join with you guys. But I don't think I can justify driving across the whole state of WI for a meeting. Hope you guys have fun. Sounds like it will be.

Fester

My Wife and I will be there, unless I get forced at work (we both work at a jail and if someone calls in sick you could be forced to work overtime).

I'm looking forward to it!!!

Terry

gwisher

My Wife and I will be there, unless I get forced at work (we both work at a jail and if someone calls in sick you could be forced to work overtime).

I'm looking forward to it!!!

Terry

What jail do you work in? (you can PM me if you want) I also work in a jail and I thought we were the only ones to get forced!

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
This sounds like fun! I was just looking at the local chapters and since we don't have one for MN I thought I could join with you guys. But I don't think I can justify driving across the whole state of WI for a meeting. Hope you guys have fun. Sounds like it will be.

Your more than welcome to join us any time.

Top Bottom