An open letter to all Ontario chapter members - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Ontario
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Well Mack it seems like there is a bit of a dilemma with having an Ontario Chapter. The obvious reason is by our provinces mere size. May I offer a suggestion to the problem and that would be to divide the province into 4 zones. North, South, East and West. As an example, it's pretty hard to expect members from Thunder Bay and Windsor to make the same meeting.

There is also the idea of something similar to the AAW and how the guilds are set up for locations.

That's all I have to offer at this time, unless someone can think of a better solution.

Dave
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have been outta commission for a while and just noticed this thread.
I am interested in joining the group.
I agree that splitting the province into 4 sounds about correct and then maybe once a year all get together?

Turner in Training.
jkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoehler View Post
I agree that splitting the province into 4 sounds about correct and then maybe once a year all get together?
Hi Jeff; Note your post of 2009.11.26, you were in then, and are still in now!

As far as dividing the province into 4 groups, I have no problem with that. I'm just not about to do it. If anyone feels they are in a particular zone etc., I'd just leave it up to them to suggest the dividing lines which should be very fuzzy, and see how many interested parties they would have.

As far as the dividing lines being fuzzy, I'm suggesting some members could possibly belong to a couple of groups. It's up to them with respect to how far they wish to travel. I started my career with the Telco. Dec. 8/'58 in Mt. Forest. I could be talked into attending a meeting there.

I am a proud supporter of
"Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
Your absence won't make a difference!
Mack C. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Assistant Moderator
Vendor Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoehler View Post
Once a year get together for everyone? Sure...first site Ear Falls?

Ontario is too big to facilitate everyone getting together...it's just not feasible.

You Southies should try and get together often, however - it seems like a great way to learn from each-other!

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well lets collectively put our heads together and see what sort of fuzzy boundaries we can arrive at. Or better yet lets decide on a few cities/towns to choose from to arrive at a final 4. Unfortunately the province is huge and there is going to be a bit of travel involved for most folks. My biggest concern is probably for the folks in the north. Winter is the greatest set back, followed by the distance between major cities/towns.

Dave
Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Assistant Moderator
Vendor Liaison

I think I'm the only fellow on here from the North, Dave, so I wouldn't worry...I'll hold my own chapter meetings up here in the cold!

Sounds like you guys are on the right track - now get busy choosing some meeting cities, and get turning!!

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Good Day all

I told Mack a while ago, that I would try to sort out where everyone was located. I finally got started using my mapping software.

Using a thread Mack pointed me to, I have made a list of people who expressed an interest in starting an Ontario chapter. I got 27 names from that. I made a map showing where everyone is. The number beside the city name is how many people in that city.

(tack in Sault St. Marie) and (maxwell smart007 in Kenora) are on the map, but I couldn't show them in the printed version because when I magnafied that large to print, the city names got all messed up.

As you can see we are spreadout across Ontario. But I think it is very doable to have one chapter meeting per year. Throughout the rest of the year, smaller meetings could be held in various locations and attendance would be based on whoever showed up. Using a 2-3 hour driving window, this should give a decent attendance at the sub meetings. Then there is always the nuts like me that think a 5 hour drive is no problem. This would however require member participation in organizing.

I also went through the IAP member list, and found 142 other names that are from Ontario, Canada. Now some of these people have never posted. Some havn't been back since they joined, while others are lurking in the sidelines. I don't believe this list is complete, as not everyone marks down a location and no one use the same location format (Makes it hard to search)

The attached Adobe document shows the map and the list. The green hilighted names are the ones that expressed interest, and are posted on the map.

Before I go through and map all the Ontario IAP, I am going to post another call to interested parties. We have had quite a few people join that may not be aware of this section.

Let's see what happens.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IAP Ontario Members.pdf (433.4 KB, 408 views)
darrin1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Great work Darrin, it does look like this can be done. As for the driving part of it, I log quite a few miles myself and it usually isn't a problem to do some driving.

I sure hope we get a few more people interested and on board.

Dave
Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default count me in

mack i will join thanks jeff ailsa craig ontario
camb is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 21

Hey I am in Send me whats needed. I like any excuse for a cold beverage and some knowledge transfer............
gandsande is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads